Thread: Where to buy e-books compatible with Bookr?

Dirjel is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Where to buy e-books compatible with Bookr?

I want to read some books on my PSP with Bookr, but I'm not sure where to go to get DRM-free (does this matter?) e-books in a non-proprietary format (kindle e-books will not work, right?).

I've looked on Amazon, and my PSP is obviously not a kindle, and I do not believe it will play the .amw or whatever files that I'll get if I buy a book on there. I looked on Google Books, and it said I'd be able to read the book "online, on Android, and something something something" but it sounded like I'd need specific applications (it said it'd "automatically sync"), so again, I don't think it'd be compatible with Bookr.

Specifically, I want to read Dead Space: Martyr, and I really prefer the idea of e-books over paperbacks. If there's a site where you can buy e-books in any of the formats bookr reads, let me know, please?

breakbeat is offline -Hacks Newbie

If you have a backup copy of a book you already own in e format, Amber Text Converter (http://abc-amber-text-converter.en.softonic.com/) is an excellent tool to convert PDF and almost any other text format into another format.

Me personally, I like reading stuff on bookr in .txt format simply because it's more a more flexable format with changable fonts, sizes, and colors. Plus its easier on your battery. Find some e-books, convert to .txt, and you're good to go! I have the whole Drizzt series on my psp now.

Alright, well I decided I'm going to just buy Amazon's e-books, and use these two tools to convert them to Bookr-compatible formats.

Calibre e-book manager
    with
    this DRM removal plugin

I'll post to let you all know how it works.

shivadow is offline Banned -Hacks Monk

There are ebooks on newsgroups (alt.binaries), also known as usenet (name coined by n00bs).

I want to actually *buy* e-books, not pirate them.

And, so far, the amazon thing would be working great, but I'm using Linux instead of Windows, so that DRM removal hack thing isn't working >.<

shivadow is offline Banned -Hacks Monk

Exactly why piracy is rife!.

Yeah, you're telling me.

*owns a PSPgo*

*enjoys games that were only released on UMD*

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dirjel View Post
    And, so far, the amazon thing would be working great, but I'm using Linux instead of Windows, so that DRM removal hack thing isn't working >.<
    I use Linux as well. Let me know if you get the DRM removal to work. Even though I have a Kindle, I still want strip the books I purchased of all the DRM. I just don't like it being there.