Thread: Whats the differences in CFWs?

flibbertigibbet007 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Question Whats the differences in CFWs?

I've been racking my brain about this, and I can't figure out the answer from looking at the downloads.

I'm new, but this isn't a request for help, it's a discussion of whats the differences in CFWs?

Whats the best ones? What do they do? Or am I just missing something about the whole CFW thing?

When I got my PSP from a friend, it had 5.50 GEN-D on it? What does that mean? Now I've added Prometheus, and it now says, 5.50 Prome-4... I figured I have updated the firmware, but I don't know how, or what I did.

I can access the PSN, but I can't download content, even with PSN Lovers installed. So again not for help, but in a more request for information. What am I missing? Is there any reason I shouldn't go back to Stock Firmware? Can I still play my downloaded or backed up (psx) games?

kurp669 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Well it's definitively all about the firmware version itself.

Let's consider that if you have an older Custom FirmWare installed on your PSP, you will have less features that the PSP itself can offer you.

However, older CFW versions are known to be more stable on specific operations,
    and newer CFW versions tend to be more game-compatible, and will have less features.

It really depends what you're planning to do. You can't get everything to work on ONE specific CFW (games, plugins, homebrews, etc).

Personally, my suggestion would be 5.03 GEN-C with Prome-4 OR 6.35 PRO-B3.

The easiest to install and use is 6.35 PRO-B3, no need of Homebrew enablers.
    PSNetwork works on that version and mostly is compatible with every games. (95%).

If you look carefully at updates from PSNetwork, you will see the differences between a certain firmware and another.

The CFW is still based upon the functionality of the Official Firmware.
    If let's say an OFW let you do "X", then the CFW with same version will let you do "X" plus run homebrews, plugins and games directly from your MS.

The real functionality update is from Sony, and CFW lets you do more stuff.

A CFW is the Offical Firmware patched for running homebrews and ISOs.

Thats it.