Thread: NGP backwards compatible with all PSP games (on PSN); smoothing and dual analog suppo

Ryu
    Ryu is offline Super Mod of the Brood -Hacks Titan

Default NGP backwards compatible with all PSP games (on PSN); smoothing and dual analog suppo

NGP backwards compatible with all PSP games (on PSN); smoothing and dual analog support included

by Christopher Grant on Jun 2nd 2011 5:35PM

The PlayStation Portable's lack of a second analog stick has always been a problem for shooters. Sony Bend's Resistance: Retribution had a clever – albeit complicated – solution for this shortcoming: let players tether a DualShock 3 controller to the handheld. So when Sony showed off the game running in emulation on an NGP last month, with full use of that right thumb stick, we assumed there was some benefit specific to Retribution.

As it turns out, all PSP titles1 will be able to take advantage of that second analog stick, as well as other NGP enhancements. "All PSP titles that are currently available on the PSN can be played on the NGP," VP of product development at SCEA Scott Rohde told a crowd of game journalists. "And they'll take full advantage of the graphics smoothing capabilities of the system and the controls will be remapped to take advantage of the dual analog sticks."

While I can't say much about the graphics smoothing – it definitely looked like it was being zoomed up 400% – I can say that the second analog stick worked wonderfully in Retribution. The game originally mapped the right stick to the four face buttons. It's unclear how the tech will work with other games, and the representative we spoke could only say that the technology we were using was early. In fact, the sole NGP prototype that had the emulation software belonged to SCE's Shuhei Yoshida, who was taking it with him back to Japan that night.

We're hoping to learn more about how PSP games take advantage of NGP hardware at E3. Any specific questions or concerns, let us know in the comments.

1: Of course, the list of PSP games that never appeared on PlayStation Network includes several high-profile titles, like Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, and Lumines.
    that nice
    but didn't we already know that was going to happen

PSP 1.5 got on USA first day is was 1.5 NOW 4.01 M33-2 -> 5.00 M33-6(1.50 addon),
    Old PS3s: PS3 60GB FW:3.41(2nd ps3 YLoD, 1st, YLoD)
    New PS3:
    Slim 160gb 01-21-2011 Working
    was 3.40 OFW->3.60 OFW

2nd PSP : PHAT 5.50 GEN-D2
    3rd PSP : Sliver 3000 Starting OFW:4.20 (NEW bought NEW on 11/28/2010)
    It a good idea to have "Hide extensions for known file types" in Folder Options(under Tool) unchecked (turn on extensions)

3DS FC:0301-9790-8019

spacewiz is offline -Hacks Veteran

1: Of course, the list of PSP games that never appeared on PlayStation Network includes several high-profile titles, like Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, and Lumines.
    i was going to say. most of the great psp titles were umd only.

and this almost seems like a gimmick move. its like when ps2 compatibility was removed from ps3. yea its a nice feature to have, but how often do you really use it? and if you have ps2 games, you probably have a ps2. hell mine is still connected to a tv. granted its a bit different since its a portable, but i still think its a similar situation. and not to mention this would really only apply to shooters. anyone else like adventure games would almost need some sort of a rewrite to have it properly mapped to a stick.
    PS3 : 300gb : 4.41 OFW
    PSP-1000 : 6.60 PRO-C Fix 3
    DSi : acekard2i - AKAIO 1.8.9