Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Android on PSP

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by chiruscan View Post
    There are phones with less RAM that have Android on them though.
    Nokia 3210?

chiruscan is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Organized_Chaos View Post
    Nokia 3210?
    I dont think it has Android OS. But there are older phones that have less RAM with Droid on them.

The LG GW620 I believe has like 128 mb of RAM and it has alot of Droid functions. Also the Sciphones.

Basically prototype Droid phones.

I think a version of it could be ported to the PSP. Just a matter of time

Medox is offline -Hacks Newbie

just that all this low-ram devices have a mmu!

you'll need to change a lot in android to make it work on mmu-less platforms.
    someone ones said that porting normal distros to mmu-less devices would take longer as writing a new distro from scratch

but there's no need to write something from scratch when it already exists and has already been ported to the psp => uclinux, designed for mmu-less devices and the only distro that can and will ever work with the psp.

AtomicDryad is offline -Hacks Newbie

Android? On my PSP? It's more likely than you th---wait, no.

A functional android environment on a PSP is about as likely as Sony intentionally releasing a functional homebrew-capable firmware. Note that I'm counting functional as "booting up and running the alarm clock app in an hour or less".

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpus View Post
    (The G1) has 192 MB of RAM
    I wish. My g1 has 128 megs of ram, and it has taught me that even CRACKHEADS can have successful careers designing embedded systems. One such crackhead thought it would be clever to use java for nearly everything;
    Code:
    [root@phone]~# ps w -Heo uid,rss,args                           
      UID   RSS COMMAND
    (snip)
        0  5824   zygote /bin/app_process -Xzygote /system/bin --zygote --start-system-server
     1000 23012     system_server                                                              
     1001  9844     com.android.phone                                                          
    10007 15460     android.process.acore                                                      
    10019  9376     com.android.mms                                                            
     1000 13868     com.android.settings                                                       
    10001 15800     com.google.process.gapps                                                   
    10083 11848     net.bitquill.delicious                                                     
    10068 18940     org.connectbot                                             
    (snip)
    I've only used 3 programs recently, and there are 38 megs of memory left...16 megabytes of which are only free because:
    a) I'm running a kernel that does -not- allocate 10 megs of ram for 3d graphics (unlike a stock g1)
    b) The device is running compcache; on bootup a ramdrive is created, which is then used as a compressed swap partition.

Even with these measures taken, frequently, when I dare switch from the webbrowser to sms and back, I'll find that the browser has become a casualty;

Android pretends to be more capable by playing whack-a-mole with running apps, terminating them when something else wants to run. In theory the victims should reload when needed again, but in the case of the browser it actually reloads the page in an infuriating way, like all 6 open tabs vanishing.

The true horror of Android isn't it's usage of java, however, it's the app framework; Apps can export functions globally and respond to global events, limited only by permissions that the app itself chooses on install. And if something requires an apps's attention, and it isn't running, yet -another- 13 megs of ram (minimal) goes byebye, as something really trivial demands the loading of a new java VM.

Why the hell would anyone want to torture their poor PSP like that?

Quote Originally Posted by chiruscan View Post
    So perhaps someone could code a program that would use part of your mem stick for RAM?
    How many writes does it take to burn out flash memory?

Picture your memory stick as rope bridge crossing a fyord full of hungry sharks. Your savegames are like a basket full of kittens in the middle of the bridge.

Trying to use swap to get android running is sort-of like telling a roving horde of really fat retards that there's a donut shop on the other side.

Try something nice, like openwrt+nano-x+lxde
    Last edited by AtomicDryad; 05-14-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDryad View Post

Picture your memory stick as rope bridge crossing a fyord full of hungry sharks. Your savegames are like a basket full of kittens in the middle of the bridge.

Trying to use swap to get android running is sort-of like telling a roving horde of really fat retards that there's a donut shop on the other side.

lol, nice

pirata nervo is offline Programmer -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDryad View Post
    Android? On my PSP? It's more likely than you th---wait, no.

A functional android environment on a PSP is about as likely as Sony intentionally releasing a functional homebrew-capable firmware. Note that I'm counting functional as "booting up and running the alarm clock app in an hour or less".

I wish. My g1 has 128 megs of ram, and it has taught me that even CRACKHEADS can have successful careers designing embedded systems. One such crackhead thought it would be clever to use java for nearly everything;
    Code:
    [root@phone]~# ps w -Heo uid,rss,args                           
      UID   RSS COMMAND
    (snip)
        0  5824   zygote /bin/app_process -Xzygote /system/bin --zygote --start-system-server
     1000 23012     system_server                                                              
     1001  9844     com.android.phone                                                          
    10007 15460     android.process.acore                                                      
    10019  9376     com.android.mms                                                            
     1000 13868     com.android.settings                                                       
    10001 15800     com.google.process.gapps                                                   
    10083 11848     net.bitquill.delicious                                                     
    10068 18940     org.connectbot                                             
    (snip)
    I've only used 3 programs recently, and there are 38 megs of memory left...16 megabytes of which are only free because:
    a) I'm running a kernel that does -not- allocate 10 megs of ram for 3d graphics (unlike a stock g1)
    b) The device is running compcache; on bootup a ramdrive is created, which is then used as a compressed swap partition.

Even with these measures taken, frequently, when I dare switch from the webbrowser to sms and back, I'll find that the browser has become a casualty;

Android pretends to be more capable by playing whack-a-mole with running apps, terminating them when something else wants to run. In theory the victims should reload when needed again, but in the case of the browser it actually reloads the page in an infuriating way, like all 6 open tabs vanishing.

The true horror of Android isn't it's usage of java, however, it's the app framework; Apps can export functions globally and respond to global events, limited only by permissions that the app itself chooses on install. And if something requires an apps's attention, and it isn't running, yet -another- 13 megs of ram (minimal) goes byebye, as something really trivial demands the loading of a new java VM.

Why the hell would anyone want to torture their poor PSP like that?

How many writes does it take to burn out flash memory?

Try something nice, like openwrt+nano-x+lxde
    Interesting post. I wonder why your rep is bad though, let me higher it
    Console Addicted - The news about your console, every day!
    Console Addicted Forums

Joushou is offline -Hacks Newbie

Let me start out by saying that you g1 indeed does have 192MB of ram. It just allocates around 100MB for baseband and gfx, and the majority of that allocation happens on hardware level. Check "free", you'll notice that you only got around 90MB. Wait, with your hack that absolutely fucks up the GPU, you get ~100MB.

Paging RAM to flash is probably the worst idea since baconnaise. FLASH is NOT designed for that level of access. You'll end up killing blocks like i drink cola.

Furthermore, FLASH is slow as fuck compared to RAM, meaning that not only do kill the flash, you slow down the whole system every time it has to access it. Sure, you can keep an app extra in memory... But, is that extra service really worth half the speed of the device? Especially on a handset that is already having trouble trying to keep up.

The use of Java wasn't a bad idea. And in 2.0, they included JIT, meaning the code is compiled, meaning Java isn't really a problem.

In fact, it makes all this simpler. Otherwise, all code would have to be ported to MIPS. Instead, it only requires us to get a linux kernel running with java.

... But android would still only be cool as a POC on the PSP...

AtomicDryad is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Joushou View Post
    Let me start out by saying that you g1 indeed does have 192MB of ram. It just allocates around 100MB for baseband and gfx, and the majority of that allocation happens on hardware level. Check "free", you'll notice that you only got around 90MB. Wait, with your hack that absolutely fucks up the GPU, you get ~100MB.
    Whoops, I stand corrected in the technical sense. Practically, however, there's nowhere near 192mb for userland. One can't cannibalize radio, unlike the GPU's memory. With ramhack I have ~107.
    Paging RAM to flash is probably the worst idea since baconnaise. FLASH is NOT designed for that level of access. You'll end up killing blocks like i drink cola.
    Agreed, hence the bridge comparison. Paging to a compressed ramdrive otoh is another story; there's a slowdown, but not as extreme, and worth it in some usage scenarios.
    The use of Java wasn't a bad idea. And in 2.0, they included JIT, meaning the code is compiled, meaning Java isn't really a problem.

In fact, it makes all this simpler. Otherwise, all code would have to be ported to MIPS. Instead, it only requires us to get a linux kernel running with java.
    JIT or no, there's still a ton of extra overhead compared to a native binary. And AFAIK most smartphones have an ARM chip, so arch independence is a dubious tradeoff for performance. Future changes would break things, but this has already happened as far as third party android apps go, between major android versions and individual phones...java or no.

Hell, if they would make the core OS apps native, performance would improve greatly, even if every piddly market app is still written in java. Then only the device manufacturers would need to worry about porting to a new arch, not the author of 'yet another fart app - lite'.
    ... But android would still only be cool as a POC on the PSP...
    That's what MacOS 8.1 is for XD~~~

And yes, I am an anti-android bigot. I'll admit booting the fscker up on a psp has a bit of a 'neat' factor but have serious doubts as to it being possible. And I'll eat my shoe if the result is a usable system :P
    Last edited by AtomicDryad; 05-17-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Coburn64 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Android on the PSP would be neat. But the PSP has like only 32MB and no MMU. My HTC Tattoo has like 256MB RAM running Android.

If anyone does take the plunge, I'd support them - perhaps use uClinux as a base, because Android does use the linux kernel to boot up and then it loads the framebuffer and the UI, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Coburn64 View Post
    Android on the PSP would be neat. But the PSP has like only 32MB and no MMU. My HTC Tattoo has like 256MB RAM running Android.

If anyone does take the plunge, I'd support them - perhaps use uClinux as a base, because Android does use the linux kernel to boot up and then it loads the framebuffer and the UI, etc.
    64 MB for the Slim.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast