Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Android on PSP

Joushou is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDryad View Post
    JIT or no, there's still a ton of extra overhead compared to a native binary. And AFAIK most smartphones have an ARM chip, so arch independence is a dubious tradeoff for performance. Future changes would break things, but this has already happened as far as third party android apps go, between major android versions and individual phones...java or no.
    Actually, if they had used true Java, there would be hardware acceleration. But they're using Dalvik, which is a heavily modified version of Java, which use a completely different bytecode format, with strong optimizations for handheld platforms... It's not that bad

Also, there's other pros of Java, such as superior memory handling and fast garbage collection. (Yes, rather ironic that memory handling is a pro, seeing the VM's eat so much, but sometimes the the management can save the more space in an app than the newly launched VM uses)

Hell, if they would make the core OS apps native, performance would improve greatly, even if every piddly market app is still written in java. Then only the device manufacturers would need to worry about porting to a new arch, not the author of 'yet another fart app - lite'.
    The android runtime isn't very large, and wouldn't give all that much of a boost. It would be like optimizing your kernel, and then run applications with non-optimized interpretters ontop...

But, i don't know what build you're using. Cyanogen's new 2.1 builds are lightening fast, and a G1 is even decent in speed with it. And i didn't use compcache, nor 10MB ram hack.

(My G1 is now dead, and replaced by the best phone i have held in my hands so far: Google Nexus One... now THAT is speed!)

But if you want native apps, then use the NDK, or "Native Development Kit".
    I believe that the NDK is fully usable now, and even if it isn't, the binding code to the SDK shouldn't leave too much of a slowdown.

That's what MacOS 8.1 is for XD~~~
    Indeed... Reminds me of MacOS 7 for Nintendo DS...

And yes, I am an anti-android bigot. I'll admit booting the fscker up on a psp has a bit of a 'neat' factor but have serious doubts as to it being possible. And I'll eat my shoe if the result is a usable system
    Well, i'm not going to pick at you for having an opinion. I'm personally an Android fella'...

(But, i believe it would be possible... You don't *need* an MMU to swap, it just makes things more difficult. DSLinux swaps fine without one, and i have even had a C64 do some swapping. Also, seeing we don't need baseband services running, we can save some RAM there. I believe it could run like it does on the Dream/G1, maybe a tad slower... But it will take work.)

Quote Originally Posted by Coburn64 View Post
    Android on the PSP would be neat. But the PSP has like only 32MB and no MMU. My HTC Tattoo has like 256MB RAM running Android.

If anyone does take the plunge, I'd support them - perhaps use uClinux as a base, because Android does use the linux kernel to boot up and then it loads the framebuffer and the UI, etc.
    First of all, everything above PSP100X got 64 MB of ram. The Linux base doesn't take many megabytes of RAM, and the rest is free for Android. It just depends on what you run. Also, a stock G1/HTC Dream only has ~90MB available for the whole OS, 64MB isn't all that much worse... Especially considering all the radio related daemons and services we wouldn't need...

Also, please research a bit on the terminology of "boot loader" and "kernel". And uClinux would need heavy modification to run with Android, as there's a lot of binding between the two going on on kernel level iirc...

Last edited by Joushou; 05-18-2010 at 05:53 PM.

chiruscan is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Joushou View Post

First of all, everything above PSP100X got 64 MB of ram. The Linux base doesn't take many megabytes of RAM, and the rest is free for Android. It just depends on what you run. Also, a stock G1/HTC Dream only has ~90MB available for the whole OS, 64MB isn't all that much worse... Especially considering all the radio related daemons and services we wouldn't need...

So Android on PSP 2000 and above sounds very doable?

Medox is offline -Hacks Newbie

no, it sounds and is impossible.

i still don't get it... why do you people forget the lack of a MMU for the psp?
    no normal linux distro (including the fancy android) will ever work without it.
    even if the psp would have 2gb of ram.

just the "anormal" distro: uclinux works. because it's made for mmuless devices.
    and it's around for 3-4 years but peoples ambitions went to android and other impossible stuff.

see linux for ipod (+video). it's the same as (uc)linux for psp would work and look like. well... if people understand that it needs improvement.
    it's the only distro that deserves it.
    (see more on uclinux for psp, a.k.a. linuxonpsp: 1, 2, 3, 4).
    Last edited by Medox; 05-19-2010 at 03:14 AM.

It sounds, and is possible.

Lack of MMU only complicates things. It doesn't make it impossible. I've seen the most obscure devices swap and do complex memory management without MMU's.

Getting uClinux to run android runtime is possible, but just requires a large amount of modification...

Would it be possible then to port Android apps for the G-1 to the PSP?

Quote Originally Posted by chiruscan View Post
    Would it be possible then to port Android apps for the G-1 to the PSP?
    What do you mean?

A big selling point of Android is that all applications can run on all devices, as long as the required hardware is there. So as long as you don't use accelerometer and the likes...

You would most likely have to turn the psp sideways, though, 'cause some applications aren't smart enough to auto-adjust the interface.

... But, don't expect Android to ever come for the PSP. I just said that it is TECHNICALLY possible. It's also *technically* possibly for me to build an F16 from scratch, but you ain't seeing me doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Joushou View Post
    What do you mean?

A big selling point of Android is that all applications can run on all devices, as long as the required hardware is there. So as long as you don't use accelerometer and the likes...

You would most likely have to turn the psp sideways, though, 'cause some applications aren't smart enough to auto-adjust the interface.

... But, don't expect Android to ever come for the PSP. I just said that it is TECHNICALLY possible. It's also *technically* possibly for me to build an F16 from scratch, but you ain't seeing me doing it!
    Yeah I was just wondering how the less memory of the psp would affect compatibility with certain apps.

It would only limit multitasking. But there would be some MB's of RAM saved because the PSP isn't a phone, and therefore there's a lot of unneeded services, so maybe that would make up for at least part of the smaller memory...

oh4nt0m117 is offline -Hacks Newbie

I realize this post is extremely aged and android must have been at 1.9 or something like that, but I wanted to break down to anyone who looks at this later on that are bored like me and wish to do willy dev projects on why the PSP series is not able to do android.

A PSP-3000 would be the optimal choice for this or maybe a go, right? Easy to crack, best hardware, recognizable. However most builds of android are meant for the ARM series processors or for RISC processors, like the raspberry pi. In 2010 the first pi would have been released so someone would have already said "I am putting android on this". ALL of the PSP handhelds, and possibly the vita, use MIPS processors. What is the difference? Task management, memory management. Essentially everything is backwards and upside down.

The other reason is that is you work with a PSP on rootkit level then you probably know that the MIPS 4000 processor in your PSP-3 has a secondary chip to overflow spare tasks into, like a query or a second processor even (but not really a processor).

While the PSP does run linux, and a beautiful distro at that, it is, sadly, not possible to run.

More or less the android item is a portal for the PSP linked to here. Not much new.

If you dunno what a portal is doesn't matter. Go search it if you like but they were all the rage in 2006 and no one makes them anymore.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4