Thread: PSP 1001 - UMD Drive won't read.

B2TheEYo is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default PSP 1001 - UMD Drive won't read.

Hi folks,

I've done a lot to try and isolate the issue, and solve it but yet to find the golden fix.

Problem:
    The UMD drive randomly decided not to work. When inserting a UMD, it would seek roughly for 5 seconds or so, then shut off, while the PSP OS would still "try and figure" things out. Things I've noted is I never see the drive turning the UMD disk.

I've removed a UMD disk from it's casing, taped down the trigger and threw the disk in. The spindle turned the disk just fine, but it yielded the same results, could not be read.

Progress:
    I've recently done a guide (thanks to that person who linked me and made the tutorial!) on lubricating the rails of the UMD drive. It's seem to give the UMD drive some push to keep trying to read the disk. Now I finally get a "cannot read disk" error. Spindle still does not turn the disk however.

I'm considering just getting another UMD drive, but I only want to go this route if it's an indefinite thing that needs to be done. I fear it may be the mobo that is the issue (blown fuse, screwed chipsets) so I don't want to have to buy a UMD drive to find out it's something else.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sentray is offline -Hacks Smarty

I can't really explain the problem to you as I have never messed around with a PSP's UMD Drive. But there have been incidents where I have told people try cleaning the Lens of the UMD Drive (in the back) and it has worked. Why don't you get Custom Firwamre and download ISOs (I am not giving you a site as it is illegal on this site and every where else) and be free to play.

I've already cleaned the lens, that was my first idea after putting a new spindle/motor set on it. I've tried relocating the laser closer to the spindle, ensured it was on the rails, etc. Seems damn right set on not working, may just buy another but I worry that it's not the UMD drive but potentially an issue with the mobo or something else in the chain.

Thanks though, it's already flashed with CFW (did it the first day I got it few weeks ago, came with 1.50 what a score!). I know where to download the goods, I got a few going now but it would be nice to have a working drive.

over_clox is offline -Hacks Member

I can relate, one of my PSPs is the same way. My problem isn't with the UMD drive though, but rather a bad connection on the motherboard somewhere, because using the analog and d-pad will make the drive run and do crazy things on its own, without even having a disc in the drive. I could get it to try to read discs if I twisted the PSP by hand some while it read, but I never could actually fix it so I just disconnected it. Sorry if that's what you end up having to do. I hope you find a fix to your problem.
    2 Phat PSPs: First went through hell, reassembled scrap parts from 2 bad PSPs. Second is practically new except a repaired battery clip, both running 3.52 M33-4, first clean install, second modded. No, not planning to upgrade either.

Thanks for the comment, luckily I'm not in the situation of having to twist my system to get some life though, I'm considering doing it and keep applying force until it snaps.. lol!

I ordered a new UMD drive, should be here shortly, I'll report back if it works or not.

Also, if your having motherboard issues, you can buy a new PSP motherboard with firmware 3.04 or something brand new for 30-50 bucks. Beats the hell out of buying a new PSP for $200-$300 that cannot be hacked. Being a Phat PSP, they all can be hacked no matter what! >=D

over_clox is offline -Hacks Member

Heh, motherboard issues . . .

Practically all the electronics I've ever had were quite used and abused by the time I got them. Many didn't even work, but I found a way to fix them, at least for what I needed. I don't use the UMD even in my fully working PSP, so I'll pass on dumping money into my spare parts backup unit. Thanks for the advice though.

And the reason I mentioned the problem is because it's the second PSP I've seen with the same exact problem, so it could very well be the motherboard at fault. I hope everything works out for you and you haven't wasted money on another UMD drive, only to find that the problem is elsewhere.
    2 Phat PSPs: First went through hell, reassembled scrap parts from 2 bad PSPs. Second is practically new except a repaired battery clip, both running 3.52 M33-4, first clean install, second modded. No, not planning to upgrade either.

A lot of PSP hackers and modders say the same thing! They never use the UMD drive. Wish I had that luxury right now. Although I'm on a 256MB memory card until my 8GB one arrives. Then it's downloading the goods on this horrible connection, sigh!

Thanks for the best wishes, that was my fear of wasting money on nothing. Luckily it's only $20 bucks..