Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hardware problem? No XMB

Mosher6336 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Exclamation Hardware problem? No XMB

Ok guys, I got this psp-2000 that is all banged up from a pawn shop for $40. It turns on but the xmb doesn't show up, just the waves in the background.

So I busted out my pandora and downloaded grader 8. I went into the LFlash and moved some more space into Flash0 and Flash1, then installed M33. It was all smooth as butter.

Restarted the psp after the install, the newstyle waves come up.... Still no xmb. Press select, the vsh menu comes up just like it should. I'm stumped.

I've managed to get the xmb to come up on rare occassions, once it came up after I ran a recovery and I was able to navigate thru it perfectly fine. I shut off the psp, turned it back on and it was gone again. This happens everytime I get lucky and the xmb loads, as soon as I shut it off the xmb never comes back.

Any Ideas?

gregerson316 is offline -Hacks Guru

try turning it on without the MS or UMD. I have seen a few occasions where thats happened.
    WHERE WRESTLING MATTERS!

Nope, no luck.

I've reflashed M33 on this slim countless times, I'm sure it's not the software/firmware. What hardware would affect his? wouldn't it be the flash? I already disassembled it to fix the memory stick slot, so I can't really send it into sony (can I? i know it wouldn't be free if I could) Any hopes? A new board isn't quite worth it in my eyes, $100 for a new board or $150 for a whole new slim :/

Does it read the MS? Check in recovery via USB.
    WHERE WRESTLING MATTERS!

Haxxor is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Typically, a corrupted memory stick can cause this to occur. If you can see the wave just fine and managed to navigate the XMB at one point then it is definitely not hardware related.

It could very well be a corrupted ID storage causing the problem, IO failing to initialize and thus causing the XMB to abort. Though I may just be blowing smoke out of my ass.

Try repairing the ID storage keys with Chilly Willy's Key Cleaner or even the one built into DCv8.

coaxes fellow dashhackers to follow

I might just have to make a youtube video for this...

@greg - I assume it can read the ms, since I used it to flash the cfw, and boot DCv8

@haxxor- I remade the IDstorage with DCv8, still no xmb. I don't think it would be the MS, but I can try it. The psp has been like this since I got it, before I even pandora'd to get M33 on it. I can try using another MS with DCv8 tho. I pulled the MS and started it up (if that's what you meant, lol) and still nothin.

EDIT: Used my sony 8gb ms to install M33, still no xmb.

Anyone want to buy a slim for $50? lol
    Last edited by Mosher6336; 05-13-2009 at 02:10 PM.

I would if i had the money. But I just bought another one last week.
    WHERE WRESTLING MATTERS!

BCman is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

maybe the brightness button on the psp........

wh1tef@ng is offline -Hacks Titan

maybe formatting flash1........
    3 necessary things to do to be fit everyday
    Sleep
    Eat
    Xercise

I've already done an Lflash format many times, even fiddled with the sizes. The brightness button isn't the issue because I can see the sony boot animation and the colored waves come up. It doesn't hang on the waves, they move the whole time I leave the psp on.

I can try booting into recovery and manually copying the xmb files into flash1. EDIT: OOOOOOH, format flash1 in the advanced menu. I did this and the xmb loaded. So I prayed and shut the psp off. I turned it back on and boom, gone again. So I went into recovery again, did the same thing... booted to silver waves, no menu. reboot again, back to purple waves. (this was all with no MS)

I'm going to feel like such a jack*** when I finally get this straightened out, I bet it is simple.
    Last edited by Mosher6336; 05-14-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast