The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!

Would you like to get all the new buzz from Dashhacks in your email each day?

Want to learn more about the team who brings you the Dash Hacks news?

Read about them now!

Thread: Ape File help

Vidar is offline -Hacks Newbie

Question Ape File help

So, I got Megaman X3 for the PSX. In the .rar is about 32 .ape files and a .7z file. In the .7z is .ecm file. I know what to do with the .ecm file, but what do I do with the .ape files? I want to be able to put it on my PSP. Thanks in advance.

I hope a bump isn't discouraged upon. It's not really a necessity, but I've stumbled upon quite a few games that are like this.

BCman is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

.ape ?
    havent seen that one before...
    install and use 7zip to extract the 32 files.

Thanks for the reply.
    The .ape files are in a .rar. Along with the .ape files, there is a .7z which contains the actual game. I don't know what the .ape files are exactly, but I think they're audio for the game. This is one of the file names "Mega Man X3 (E) (Track 02) [SLES-00503].ape." I'm quite confused on what to do with them.

thatrandomguy is offline -Hacks Hacker

i think there music files like mp3s

i found this on wikipedia

Types of formats

It is important to distinguish between a file format and a codec. A codec performs the encoding and decoding of the raw audio data while the data itself is stored in a file with a specific audio file format. Most of the publicly documented audio file formats can be created with one of two or more encoders or codecs. Although most audio file formats support only one type of audio data (created with an audio coder), a multimedia container format (as MKV or AVI) may support multiple types of audio and video data.

There are three major groups of audio file formats:

* Uncompressed audio formats, such as WAV, AIFF, AU or raw header-less PCM;
    * formats with lossless compression, such as FLAC, Monkey's Audio (filename extension APE), WavPack (filename extension WV), Shorten, TTA, ATRAC Advanced Lossless, Apple Lossless, MPEG-4 SLS, MPEG-4 ALS, MPEG-4 DST, Windows Media Audio Lossless (WMA Lossless).
    * formats with lossy compression, such as MP3, Vorbis, Musepack, AAC, ATRAC and lossy Windows Media Audio (WMA).

[edit] Uncompressed audio formats

There is one major uncompressed audio format, PCM, which is usually stored as a .wav on Windows or as .aiff on Mac OS. WAV and AIFF are flexible file formats designed to store more or less any combination of sampling rates or bitrates. This makes them suitable file formats for storing and archiving an original recording. There is another uncompressed audio format which is .cda (Audio CD Track) .cda is from a music CD and is 0% compressed.

The AIFF format is based on the IFF format. The WAV format is based on the RIFF file format, which is similar to the IFF format.

BWF (Broadcast Wave Format) is a standard audio format created by the European Broadcasting Union as a successor to WAV. BWF allows metadata to be stored in the file. See European Broadcasting Union: Specification of the Broadcast Wave Format (EBU Technical document 3285, July 1997). This is the primary recording format used in many professional audio workstations in the television and film industry. BWF files include a standardized Timestamp reference which allows for easy synchronization with a separate picture element. Stand-alone, file based, multi-track recorders from Sound Devices[1], Zaxcom[2], HHB USA[3], Fostex, and Aaton[4] all use BWF as their preferred format.
    Last edited by thatrandomguy; 08-13-2010 at 02:31 AM.
    ask the monkey of psp-hacks.-ThatRandomGuy

Patch ISOS
    ,TRGS CFW GUIDE,Phantasy-star-online2-Userlist
    - I don't ask for much but rep is appreciated.

Rob S. is offline Super Moderator -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Vidar View Post
    So, I got Megaman X3 for the PSX. In the .rar is about 32 .ape files and a .7z file. In the .7z is .ecm file. I know what to do with the .ecm file, but what do I do with the .ape files? I want to be able to put it on my PSP. Thanks in advance.
    Save yourself the trouble and headaches.

Honestly your better of just finding a bin or iso of the game instead of going through a ridiculous procedure to get a game working.

Getting it to work is a huge undertaking.

But if you want to give it a shot:

Install PakkISO 0.4:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qadyvr1hks4i3yl

Don't unpack the .ecm file.

Right click on your Mega Man X3 folder and select "UnpakkISO".

The program automates all the steps for you.

The program will unecm the files and decompress the .ape files (Monkey's Audio files).

When the process is complete you will be left with a multi-bin image, no cue sheet.

You can create the cue sheet yourself, but you should be able to find cue sheet dumps at your game source.

You will then need to merge the bin files together.

Try using ISO Buster and open the cue sheet.

Good luck creating a working image.

Google "Megaman X3 PSX".

You'll find a highly compressed bin/cue (3.20 MB).

Extracted - 720 MB.

Convert with Simple Popstation GUI. (Compression Level-0).

Put it on your memory stick. Use 3.72 POPS.

Done.

That is quite complicated. I was wondering what to do after I use UnpakkISO, but it looks like it's quite a hassle. Thank you very much.