Thread: Is there a shell that consumes less power than the XMB?

xrxpapi12 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Is there a shell that consumes less power than the XMB?

^topic

Skorpian is offline -Hacks Guru

I didn't get the question. What do you mean with Less power?
    Note : All my guides are outdated.

xrxpapi12 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpian View Post
    I didn't get the question. What do you mean with Less power?
    the least battery consuming thing to do on your psp is to just let it sit on the xmb right?

there are various different shells that take the xmbs place and i bet some use more power because they look all flashy and stuff while others use less

Skorpian is offline -Hacks Guru

the least battery consuming thing to do on your psp is to just let it sit on the xmb right?
    I don't think so. The only shell I used is IrShell, which used same cpu clock ( 222 MHZ ) so its same consumption as far as I know.
    Note : All my guides are outdated.

kilr4hir1996 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

i dont like IR shell =\.
    Free ISO/CSO Site #1 if i helped you. +rep plz
    PSP 1001 sliver faceplate| 6.20 OFW | 2GB Real MS
    New to PSP hacking? Click here.

-OuterHeaven- is offline -Hacks Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilr4hir1996 View Post
    i dont like IR shell =\.
    IR Shell is amazing. It takes a long time to learn all the features, but once you do, you can't imagine going back to the normal XMB menu.

You can save power with iR Shell by turning off the LED's (the lights on the side of the PSP). After iR Shell launches, just press the R-Trigger + the Volume Minus button to turn them off. To turn them back on, press R-Trigger + the Volume Plus button. You can also change the CPU speed to 100 to save power. There's an option right on the iR Shell main menu (Or, you can press L-Trigger + Start to do the same thing. IR Shell has a shortcut for everything ).

IR Shell also has a ton of built-in features and programs: File browser, listen to mp3's or view texts while playing games, remote control functions, unzip/unrar, take screenshots, transfer files wirelessly between PSP's, password, alarm clock, bookR, pspWrite, PSPComic, easily change skins, usbhost, nethost, Slim advanced multi-tasking, etc, etc...
    Last edited by -OuterHeaven-; 09-01-2010 at 09:55 PM.

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Just lower the CPU speed if it's that important. XMB can run mostly fine at 133MHz, though you will probably notice a bit of lag in the animations.

XMB doesn't use much power anyway, especially compared to running games, so I'm not sure why you ask.
    Same thing applies to iR Shell or similar.

As you probably don't just simply stare at the XMB the whole day, you can reduce power of some of the functions - for music, you can use Hold+ plugin to turn off screen + lower CPU speed. For videos, you can use the VSH menu to lower speed to 75MHz, which works fine as long as you don't fastforward/rewind a lot, or run the video faster than 1.0x.

Custom shells are difficult to make, and iR Shell is probably the best (or at least one of them) that we have. Although it certainly has a lot of features, it lacks a lot of polish that the XMB has.