The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!

Would you like to get all the new buzz from Dashhacks in your email each day?

Want to learn more about the team who brings you the Dash Hacks news?

Read about them now!

Thread: Best GB/GBC Emulator? Masterboy Vs Homers RIN Vs Other?

Naeture is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Best GB/GBC Emulator? Masterboy Vs Homers RIN Vs Other?

I was just curious what people think is the best one. Currently I have Masterboy and I like it a lot. Although Homers RIN seems to be popular aswell.

Masterboy is very simple and easy to use and idk...crisp I'd say. It just looks nice. I also like that it has a turbo mode awell. From what it seems it lacks cheat enabling capabilities though.

RIN I have never used but it seems very popular. I also hear it has cheat systems built in? Something I believe Masterboy lacks. I am curious as to if it has a turbo mode and any other nice features.

So... Masterboy? RIN? Some other emulator I havent heard of? Which do you like and why?

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

I use Homers RIN. Why? It was the first one I tried and it played the game I was trying to play. I have no need for turbo mode or cheats so I can't comment on those.

Naeture is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Organized_Chaos View Post
    I use Homers RIN. Why? It was the first one I tried and it played the game I was trying to play. I have no need for turbo mode or cheats so I can't comment on those.
    That makes sense. Turbo is rarely useful but when I want to speed through something I find it very nifty.

I am not one to condone cheat codes usually either. Makes games no fun imo. But when it comes to emulators I like them for situations in which things become impossible to obtain because normally 2 gameboys are needed or something. Like say... a general very common example I would assume is in pokemon games. When the particular pokemon you want doesnt usually spawn in the version youre playing. Usually you trade them over. As far as I know accomplishing things like trading is impossible with emulators on a psp.

Simple situations like those. Little things. But those count too

Joe88 is offline #include<super_moderator> -Hacks Titan

Rin v1.32

[λ] The cake is a lie... [λ]
    CWcheat DB's Update Thread

alexg1989 is offline -Hacks Member

I prefer Masterboy. I used Rin first and it was good but I tried Masterboy and like it more simply because it looks better. Both have great compatibility. Pretty much any game that works on Rin will work on Masterboy. Also, Masterboy also plays Sega Gamegear and Sega Master system games along with GBC and GB games. I don't think Rin plays Gamegear or master system.
    Last edited by alexg1989; 10-16-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Ibymeister is offline -Hacks Newbie

Does anybody know the best GBA emulator? I'm using Gpsp_kai (or something like that) through my patapon exploit and it jitters alot and my pokemon saves dont show up sometimes . Please help me

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Ibymeister View Post
    Does anybody know the best GBA emulator? I'm using Gpsp_kai (or something like that) through my patapon exploit and it jitters alot and my pokemon saves dont show up sometimes . Please help me
    Look here for working emulators and known issues with emulators: http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=42. I copy & pasted the information about GBA emulators here for you:

GBA Emulators (Recommended: GPSP Kai v3.4)

GPSP Kai v3.4 Test 3 Build 152

Download (All files set up and ready to use on your PSP, except the BIOS and ROMS, also includes an updated game_config.txt from TragicTheBlubbering, a cleaner english.msg with corrected button prompts in the menu by yours truly, and the save state button prompt fixes by tronpsp): MediaFire

Overall Rating: 9/10 (Exits to HBL Menu, but you cannot run any other homebrews without a crash )

Spoiler:
    Information: This is the latest alpha revision of GPSP on Takka's SVN. The only thing newer than this is GPSP-J, and the differences between the two are minimal. A pre-compiled version is provided with the download, but you can get the source here.

Compatibility: You can exit to HBL Menu, but attempting to run another homebrew results in a crash Ad-Hoc has also been removed (small loss). The HOME button is actually hooked in this emulator, pressing it will bring you to the menu! I have no idea how it's working, but it is...since R99, I haven't encountered the issue of crashing on exiting a 16MB ROM to the ROM list, so go enjoy your games, back to back!

Performance: Much better than 3.2. Games like Pokemon FireRed and Metroid run full speed without frameskip now, among soooooooo many others. I know your itching to hit the dl link now, so just install it and come back later, okay? k, now your back. You can now go into sleep mode and resume without any problems as well! This build is very stable for an alpha, huh?

Features:
    -Save States
    -Frameskip (Auto Frameskip works correctly in this GPSP btw)
    -Custom Key Mappings
    -Sound Toggling
    -CPU Clock Speed Adjustment
    -Support For Game-Specific Configuration Settings
    -Screenshots
    -Other Miscellaneous Options

Credits: Much thanks to TragicTheBlubbering for finding Takka's SVN

GPSP v0.9 HEN-D

Download: Exophase

Overall Rating: 9/10 (Even this one crashes on exit )

Spoiler:
    Information: Ahh...the last GPSP release of its original developer, Exophase. The man deserves respect. Most of the core work was taken care of by him, so before Takka, thank Exophase that you can emulate GBA so well on your PSP.

Compatibility: Everything works fine except the exit feature.

Performance: This is definetely the most "stable" release. You can just feel it. However, a good deal of compatibility was added in the Takka releases (though most of it might have been game_config.txt updates, I don't really know), so this is not a replacement for 3.4. I do recommend you keep it on your memory stick, and while your at it, replace the game_config.txt with the one provided with GPSP Kai 3.4 for extra compatibility.

Features:
    -Save States
    -Frameskip
    -Custom Key Mappings
    -Sound Toggling
    -Screenshots
    -etc.

GPSP Kai v3.2 Test 04

Download: DCEmu - Must Register To Download

Overall Rating: 8/10 (Cannot exit to HBL menu, not as good as v3.4 )

Spoiler:
    Information: Continuation of the original gpSP project by Takka. Was the best GBA emulator available for HBL before GPSP Kai v3.4.

Compatibility: Cannot exit to HBL Menu. Exit to XMB works. AdHoc is now working perfectly on R96. Most users who can't get this working have to acquire a gba_bios.bin. It is 16kb and you must put it in the gpSP folder for it to run.

Performance: Varied. Mostly good at 333mhz(default). Can successfully enter and resume sleep/suspend if you go to the ROM list first. If you try to suspend while playing a game, it'll crash shortly after resuming.

Features:
    -Save States
    -Frameskip
    -Custom Key Mappings
    -Sound Toggling
    -Screenshots
    -etc.

GPSP-J 100429

Download: QJ
    Alternate Download: PSP-Hacks

Overall Rating: 6/10 (Crashes when going to emulator menu, not full screen by default )

Spoiler:
    Information: Continuation of gpSP Kai buy an unknown Japanese coder. Much better than gpSP Kai, when its compatibility is resolved with HBL.

Compatibility: Cannot exit to HBL Menu. Going to the GPSP menu returns an error, which then crashes the PSP after you press a button. Not worth using yet, stick with v3.2 test 04. Requires gba_bios.bin.

Performance: The way it is now, not good. Once some fixes are made for HBL (hope the coder comes out of hiding), this is the best GBA emulator you can use on PSP No idea if it supports sleep/suspend, reports please

Features:
    -Save States
    -Frameskip
    -Sound Toggling
    -Custom Key Mappings
    -Screenshots
    -etc.