Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD Quality Videos on 3.03 - 3.10 OE! (Tutorial)

RPG Tony is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

I know AVI isn't bad quality, on the contrary it's high quality especially when compared to most other video formats out there. I was just showing that when compared to a DVD's VOB files, AVI isn't all that great.

Also from what i've seen, the menu is on VTS_01_0, and then the "feature film" is VTS_01_1 and so on.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Also thanks for the advice Zingaburga. I'll bring a lot more things like this more often now. I actually just got cable internet yesterday (amazing right) although i've been with PSP Hacks for about a year and a half now. That's why my post count is so low. I'd only come on occasionally on my PSP.

PSP-1001: 1.50 OFW; PSP-2001 IS: 5.50 GEN-D3 w/ Prometheus 3 (Beta 2)
    PSP-3000 ZW (Jap LE Dissidia Bundle): 6.10 OFW
    PS3 80 GB (CECH E) @ 3.41 w/ PL3 - PSN ID: RPG_Tony

nemesisinfintiy is offline -Hacks Neophyte

link dead

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by RPG Tony
    I know AVI isn't bad quality, on the contrary it's high quality especially when compared to most other video formats out there. I was just showing that when compared to a DVD's VOB files, AVI isn't all that great.
    In general, yes, so I won't argue about that :P

Also from what i've seen, the menu is on VTS_01_0, and then the "feature film" is VTS_01_1 and so on.
    The _0 file is, I don't know actually, but it doesn't usually store video data. Most DVDs I've seen have the video in VTS_04_# files.

Still a rather simple and useful guide :)

Chewy954 is offline -Hacks Titan

VTS_01_0.VOB = Menu

VTS_01_1.VOB = VTS_01_5(?).VOB is the video file your going 2 convert

VTS_02_1.VOB = Previews

BUT it rly depends on the dvd

what i listed is from the Smoking Aces DVD

Borat has the actual movie located at VTS_03_1.VOB and so on

icedragn43 is offline -Hacks Member

So what are the file sizes like on here? Is there at least some compression since it's being displayed at 480x272? I have the FFVII:AC avi, which isn't as high quality as ripping it this way, but it is ~699mb. I don't remember the size after conversion, but I think it was a lot smaller like 300mb or something. What's the average size of your video files with these steps having that quality?

He's using 768kbps (audio is probably 128kbps) so you can calculate it.

I personally never use bitrate encodes.

Dookie is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Here is a tutorial on how to create your own DVD quality videos on 3.03 - 3.10 OE.

1. First of all, download this RAR archive with some DVD ripping apps:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/q84q45

2. Now setup DVD Ghost and when that's done, go to the "Copy DVD" tab. Make sure you have the right drive and destination directory selected, then click the Copy DVD button. The reason we need to do this this instead of just copy and pasting the .VOB files is that DVD Ghost decrypts these files.

Before I go any further, i'll briefly explain how DVD videos are made on the actual disc to clear up any questions that people may have. The .VOB files (which are the video files themselves) are split every 0.99 GB, for what reason I don't know. Anyways, this means you won't be able to use this method and keep it all in one video file. In probably all DVDs, the main movie starts with the file "VTS_01_1.VOB" and goes on to "VTS_01_4.VOB" (01_5 if it's a long movie).

3.Rename each of these files "name of movie - Part X" where name of movie is of course the name of the movie and X is 1, 2, 3, and so on.

4. Then open up 3GP Converter on PSP Direct with the AVC Codec at 480x272 resolution and at least 768 kbps (I recommend not going over 1400kbps). Drag and drop each of the 4 or 5 VOB files into 3GP Converter.

5. When it is done converting, transfer them to the PSP's Memory Stick in this directory - X:/MP_ROOT/101ANV01/. DO NOT rename them or else they won't work (you should already know this if you've used high res videos before).

6. Enjoy!

Screenshots (put on your PSP to see differences better):

AVI to MP4
    http://www.sourimage.com/img/de61818...20to%20MP4.bmp
    As you can see there is some blotchyness and conversion errors.

VOB to MP4
    http://www.sourimage.com/img/7d14a8b...20to%20MP4.bmp
    Beautiful

There is a small problem though. The video files are ripped in whatever the default language is on the DVD, which can be a problem sometimes (Advent Children's default language is japanese). That's where Magic DVD Ripper comes in. If this happens to you, Magic DVD Ripper will also backup the video files, but it gives you the option of removing language tracks. So in my case, I could remove the japanese language track and just leave english.

I hope this tutorial helps anyone who has had trouble finding a way to get DVD quality videos.

If the link goes bad from inactive downloads, i'll reupload for you.
    DVD Decrypter will rip the dvd to a single .vob file. You should include that in your tut instead of shitty DVD Ghost.
    XBL - PhantomRampage - PSN

SaGa is offline -Hacks Newbie

It's a great tut but you need to understand one thing, VOB to MP4 is better then AVI to MP4 because one reason:
    the AVI format is mostly a rip from the VOB file that you are talking about and while you are converting a DVD movie to an AVI you need to encode it like XVID, and the XVID codec is always deacrese the quaility of the movie.
    Because that VOB is better then AVI when you convert it to MP4.
    If you know how to do the same quaility with an AVI file i will glad to know ;) beacuse i have more AVI files then DVD-R movies.
    Great tut agian! and sorry for my bad spalling im from Israel.

SaGa

^He's talking about source file quality. If the source file looks crap, the converted file will look crap.

The AVI file's quality really depends on how the encoder wanted to set the quality. Typically, downloaded AVI movies are encoded so they're about 700MB. Of course, nothing stops them from using a higher quality. In fact, it's one reason why I avoid XviD and try and get H.264 rips of videos.

Cyonix is offline -Hacks Guru

the link's dead :(

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast