Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD Quality Videos on 3.03 - 3.10 OE! (Tutorial)

RPG Tony is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Default DVD Quality Videos on 3.03 - 3.10 OE! (Tutorial)

*UPDATE* - The method for raising the volume in videos has been added.
    *UPDATE* - This tutorial was written back when 3.10 OE was first released, hence the thread name. But, this will work on all OE firmwares 3.03 OE and up. It also works on all M33 firmwares.
    *UPDATE* - The tutorial has been slightly rewritten to combine VOB files. Also, credits have been added.

Here is a tutorial on how to create your own DVD quality videos on 3.03 - 3.10 OE.

1. First of all, download this RAR archive with some DVD ripping apps and 3GP Converter:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/dbrxkx

2. Now setup DVD Ghost and when that's done, go to the "Copy DVD" tab. Make sure you have the right drive and destination directory selected, then click the Copy DVD button. The reason we need to do this this instead of just copy and pasting the .VOB files is that DVD Ghost decrypts these files.

Before I go any further, i'll briefly explain how DVD videos are made on the actual disc to clear up any questions that people may have. The .VOB files (which are the video files themselves) are split every 0.99 GB, because DVD's are made in the ISO file system, which is limited to 1 GB (Just as FAT32 is limited to 4GB on your hard drive). In most DVDs that I've seen, the main movie starts with the file "VTS_01_1.VOB" and goes on to "VTS_01_5.VOB" (01_6 if it's a long movie). It really depends on the DVD which one it is, but this is what I have seen most often. Anyways, after the files have been extracted and decrypted, you're going to have to combine them.

3. Rename each of these files "1.VOB", "2.VOB", 3.VOB", and so on. Now create a batch file named "combine.bat". This will be different dpending on the DVD you're using, but very similar. Here's some example code.
    Code:
    pause
    copy/b 1.VOB+2.VOB+3.VOB+4.VOB+5.VOB movie.VOB
    pause
    Put this into your batch file, but if you're DVD had 6 VOB files add: +6.VOB. This would go between 5.VOB and movie.VOB. You should be able to see the correlation between the number of VOB files and how many you put into this list.

4. If you have video that is pretty low on volume, you can raise it with a simple AVS script. First, you need to download and install AVISynth for the AVS Script to work. You can download the installer here. Run the installer and select I Agree (of course). Then under Select Associations, check Associate with Notepad (open). Now click on Next, then Install. Once that's finished, create a file named movie.avs in the same directory as your movie.VOB. Double click on it and Notepad will open it. Now copy and paste this code into it:

Code:
    DirectShowSource("movie.VOB")
    Normalize(2.0)
    lanczosresize(480,272)
    changefps(29.97)
    Now save this and close Notepad.

5. Then open up 3GP Converter on PSP Direct with the AVC Codec at 480x272 resolution and at least 768 kbps (I recommend not going over 1400kbps), which is the third from the last option in the drop down box. Drag and drop the movie.VOB or if you used an AVS script to raise the volume drag and drop the movie.AVS instead (don't drag and drop both the AVS script AND VOB files, it will just convert two different videos) into 3GP Converter.

6. When it is done converting, transfer them to the PSP's Memory Stick in this directory - X:/MP_ROOT/101ANV01/. DO NOT rename them or else they won't work (you should already know this if you've used high res videos before).

7. Enjoy!

Screenshots (put on your PSP to see differences better):

Compressed AVI to MP4

As you can see there is some blotchyness and conversion errors. (look at the crooked line in the hair)

VOB to MP4

Beautiful

There is a small problem though. The video files are ripped in whatever the default language is on the DVD, which can be a problem sometimes (Advent Children's default language is Japanese). That's where Magic DVD Ripper comes in. If this happens to you, Magic DVD Ripper will also backup the video files, but it gives you the option of removing language tracks. So in my case, I could remove the japanese language track and just leave english.

On another note, AVI isn't a bad format for those who don't know. You could probably get the same quality video with it but not that many (like myself) have enough hard drive space for it. The compressors out their (like XviD) lower the quality alot after it's been compressed.

I hope this tutorial helps anyone who has had trouble finding a way to get DVD quality videos.

If the link goes bad from inactive downloads, i'll reupload for you.

***CREDITS***
    Me - I pretty much did all this myself
    ZiNgABuRgA - For some info on joining files, volume raising, and general knowlegde of video conversion
    p0op - For stickying my tutorial :mrgreenthumbsup:
    Murdock - For some info on the file system used on DVD's

Last edited by dbrums; 04-13-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: updating

PSP-1001: 1.50 OFW; PSP-2001 IS: 5.50 GEN-D3 w/ Prometheus 3 (Beta 2)
    PSP-3000 ZW (Jap LE Dissidia Bundle): 6.10 OFW
    PS3 80 GB (CECH E) @ 3.41 w/ PL3 - PSN ID: RPG_Tony

HORiZUN is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

does this make the mp4's audio loud? ive downloaded an mp4 with loud audio. it was great. the whole class could hear the movie with no crackles or distortion.
    PSP: 6.39 PRO B-7 - 8GB ProDuo | DSLite: R4DS - 2GB MicroSD
    XBOX: Softmodded - XBMC - 500GB HD | GC: XenoGC 2.0
    PS2: Memor32 - HDLoader - 320GB HD | Wii: HBC - CfgUSBLoader - 500GB HD
    XBOX360: LiteOn 83850c - LTPlus FW - 250GB HD - Gamertag = I Am HORiZUN

RPG Tony is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Actually, it's a little quieter than if you were to use Magic DVD Ripper (included in the RAR archive) where you can raise the volume. But you lose visual quality which is against the whole point of the tutorial.

PSP-1001: 1.50 OFW; PSP-2001 IS: 5.50 GEN-D3 w/ Prometheus 3 (Beta 2)
    PSP-3000 ZW (Jap LE Dissidia Bundle): 6.10 OFW
    PS3 80 GB (CECH E) @ 3.41 w/ PL3 - PSN ID: RPG_Tony

chuckles is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Very useful...good tut...:mrgreenthumbsup:

Stallone is offline Senior Member -Hacks Veteran

beautiful tutorial, I'm adding this to my master thread

Tuner is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

This should be Stickied

Oldas fuccccck

I leave my system's on and dont log out of anything.

Yea I think so too, along with my master thread :P

Tuner is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

I plan on using this. Just when im able to get time. Great work though, IT SHOULD BE STICKIED

Oldas fuccccck

I leave my system's on and dont log out of anything.

Definately...MOD STICKY THIS! Dude you seem to know your shit. PM me sometime, keep in touch.

ZiNgABuRgA is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Increase volume can be done with a simple AVS script:
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("myVideo.avi")
    Normalize(1.0)
    Increase the number to increase the volume.

Anyways, to clear a few things up, the DVD ISO filesystem is limited to 1GB files, which is why VOBs are split.
    Also, it's actually usually not VTS_01_* (unless you made the DVD) - usually these are reserved for menus on commercial DVDs. You generally tell by looking at the size of the VOB files.

VOB files can be easily joint too - use either a simple AVS splice, or just concatenate the files (copy /b command).

Another thing, you can't simply state "AVI" as bad quality as it's just a format, not a quality rating. Generally, I guess AVI files are lower than DVD quality, but you can get ones which are of higher quality (most HD rips are in [MKV]H.264 though I guess).

Anyways, thanks for the guide. I've never heard of DVD Ghost, but typically people use DVDDecrypter or DVD Fab Decrypter + FreeDVD to decrypt the movies. DVD Shrink to remove the languages (or you can remux the video into a different container).

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast