Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Homebrew Idol 2] Luna - Fully Customizable PSP Shell

HyperHacker is offline Programmer -Hacks Enthusiast

Talking [Homebrew Idol 2] Luna - Fully Customizable PSP Shell

A couple months ago, I heard about how cool PSP homebrew was, and went out and bought one. I checked out what was available, and I thought, well this is cool, but I see a problem. The XMB is so boring. Sure, there are custom themes, but to make them involves hacking the firmware machine code. As fun as that is, it'd be a pain in the ass to make the kinds of themes I was looking for that way. Not to mention, it ties each theme to a specific firmware version - an update might render it incompatible, and the author might never get around to fixing that.
    There are some great custom themes out there, but they're effectively limited to variations on the same thing, due to the difficulty involved in making them. 3D? Sound? Animation? It'd be easier to make your own shell than to try to hack that in.
    So I did, and I called it Luna.

Luna is designed to replace the XMB, and to be completely customizable. Luna skins are Lua scripts (hence the name), which gives them total flexibility without involving any difficult hex editing or dangerous flashing. 3D menus, background music, animation, alpha blending, whatever you want. You could go all-out and make a 3D world like Super Mario 64, jumping into paintings to run games. Or you could keep it simple, and have a text-based menu and maybe a background image. Or anywhere in between. You can even have no interface at all, and just assign a game to each button.

Even if the mere sight of program code makes your head spin, you can still easily replace the images and sound effects - ordinary BMP, WAV and MP3 files. (And Lua code is quite simple, so don't be afraid to take a peek!)

As a bonus, the contents of notes.txt are displayed on the screen when you press L (although that's entirely up to the skin), providing quick access to useful information such as a schedule.

Observe:
    - Spinning RGB cube, interactive flowing colours, scrolling "hacker code", background music, and even a place to put a "property of Joe Homebrewer" label. Let's see an XMB hack do that.
    - Rotating 3D icon ring. (I need better icons, but yeah.) Spins around so the selected icon is in front.
    - Zelda theme; mimics the Ocarina of Time inventory menus. (Not finished; some Zelda graphics still need to be extracted.) Authentic Zelda graphics and sounds.
    Also check out the blurry Youtube video.

Download here. Source code is available. More themes to come.
    (This site can take a few tries to load. Keep trying.)

This is a beta version, which means:
    1) Not all of the built-in programs work yet (but you can launch XMB as if it were a homebrew app to use them), and
    2) The skin API could change in future versions. Once the final version is out, backward compatibility will be maintained as much as possible. I appreciate any feedback on the API design while there's still time to change it. (Take a look at the comments in main.h to see what's already planned, though.)

If anyone can make me some better icons, I'd appreciate it. Once the final version is up I'll have a place on my website to submit your skins.

Last edited by HyperHacker; 01-31-2009 at 06:18 AM.
    >> PSP-2001 running 5.00m33-6, 4GB Lexar memory stick

pirata nervo is offline Programmer -Hacks Titan

Looks cool
    Good work
    Console Addicted - The news about your console, every day!
    Console Addicted Forums

Scorpus is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Looking very cool Hyper

Keep up the good work
    Last edited by Scorpus; 01-31-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Playboy21 is offline Programmer -Hacks Smarty

Wow, that's a fast release, and i tell you what, it looks great.

Good job on it.

pirata nervo is offline Programmer -Hacks Titan

By launching the XMB you mean exiting the application? Or do you keep the application (your shell) in kernel memory like irShell does? I can't see any info about that in the readme
    Console Addicted - The news about your console, every day!
    Console Addicted Forums

hotrocker is offline Programmer -Hacks Ninja

woowwwww...this is HOT

(Compliments of Chode)

Aaron*1 is offline -Hacks Guru

Woah! That's amaishing!
    Potato.

HyperHacker is offline Programmer -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by pirata nervo View Post
    By launching the XMB you mean exiting the application? Or do you keep the application (your shell) in kernel memory like irShell does? I can't see any info about that in the readme
    Yes, it exits completely, and sets a flag to tell the loader plugin to let the XMB load normally. I have some ideas in mind for plugins eventually.
    >> PSP-2001 running 5.00m33-6, 4GB Lexar memory stick

Xitherun is offline sleepy -Hacks Titan

sweet buttery jesus, this looks awesome.

I'm loving the themes being LUA scripts.

srsly, good work dood.

edit: ha, I was about to ask how complex a theme would be, but I just looked at the simple one, and it's waaayy over my head.
    Last edited by Xitherun; 01-31-2009 at 08:33 PM.

PSdonkey is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

This looks good. I'm going to try it soon. I was just wondering if you included the homebrew idol splash screen in your program.

Also, maybe you could create that mario 3d theme you were talking about as an example for everyone to see.

I'm going to put you in our programmer's group for your entry
    Obey Beaker. That is all.

Spoiler:
    Want to become a PSP Dev the easy way? Check out my tutorial for the PSP here http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/f141...orial-t152466/
    Want to learn how to create your own games on the PSP? Check out my tutorial here http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/f141...-your-t153653/
    Want to learn how to program C++ ? Check out that tutorial here http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/f124...ram-c-t122337/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast