Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: The Ultimate Start to Programming

Rogerdodger91 is offline -Hacks Newbie

To be honest, a programmer is a type of person. Just like some people are geared towards sports, or building cars, or working construction. I would say that the most important skill a programmer needs is you will need is the ability to solve problems. Very difficult problems without getting turned off by it and moving on. You need to visualize how something works from multiple points of view, and come up with even more creative ways to solve it than the obvious answer.

Now, if you feel this is the type of person you are, and you are prepared to study and be frustrated for thousands of hours. Then i suggest you start learning a language thats easier to catch on with. C#, Java, and python is where i direct you too. C and C++, while possible to learn from no programming knowledge at all, is still a bit difficult to fully grasp if you dont understand the basic concepts.

hardhat is offline Programmer -Hacks Enthusiast

While I agree with you that learning the basics of programming in Lua or Python is a great way to start, I disagree that C# or Java is noticeably easier than C++ or C. The biggest problem with beginners on the PSP is that many of them do not use a debugger or even psplink which makes a whole host of problems a matter of guessing rather than just working through the problem. Those skills are essential to be productive rather than being frustrated. Surely if you are being frustrated consistently you are doing it wrong.

That being said, a good programmer will need a lot of tenacity to keep from being overwhelmed by bugs. Test early, test often is always a good thing and keeps the scope of the bugs to a very limited window. That is always a key to quick incremental debugging. So with patient logical thinking you too can become a good programmer.

My 2D homebrew | My 3D homebrew with Team Sushi. | My YouTube channel. | My Twitter
    Spoiler:

hardhat: F1 == help on Windows
    J697: oh I have never used the help, so I wouldnt know
    hardhat: so that's why you're always lost. :-P

HadesMinion is offline -Hacks Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat
    The biggest problem with beginners on the PSP is that many of them do not use a debugger or even psplink which makes a whole host of problems a matter of guessing rather than just working through the problem.
    I could never get debuggers to work for the PSP, are there guides to setting them up? Also, if I recall the output isn't something that is easily readable. Generally I see people asking what something means, is this true to an extent?

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat
    I disagree that C# or Java is noticeably easier than C++ or C.
    Agreed, in my opinion a lot of people make C++ seem much harder than every other language out there, but a lot of the languages considered more basic use the same concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerdodger91
    To be honest, a programmer is a type of person. Just like some people are geared towards sports, or building cars, or working construction. I would say that the most important skill a programmer needs is you will need is the ability to solve problems. Very difficult problems without getting turned off by it and moving on. You need to visualize how something works from multiple points of view, and come up with even more creative ways to solve it than the obvious answer.
    While I do agree with you, it's very possible to more or less force yourself to become this type of person if you are able to teach yourself and pick up on things, not that it would be that enjoyable until you grew accustomed to it.

hardhat is offline Programmer -Hacks Enthusiast

Perhaps the problem is that the guide included with PSP-Link is enough for most people. Anyway, google around for psp-gdb and psplink and there are several options out there. The key on modern CFWs is to use psplink 3.0 OE with psp-gdb or psp-gdbtui or even psp-insight, and on the PC side you say (in the pspsh window):
    Code:
    debug programname.prx
    and in a seperate shell (Command Line window) you start the debugger with
    Code:
    psp-gdb programname.elf
    target remote :10001
    Note that you are getting the symbols from the .elf, but running the .prx file. I've taught about a dozen programmers to use it over IRC but I'm not much for writing that up formally.

My 2D homebrew | My 3D homebrew with Team Sushi. | My YouTube channel. | My Twitter
    Spoiler:

hardhat: F1 == help on Windows
    J697: oh I have never used the help, so I wouldnt know
    hardhat: so that's why you're always lost. :-P

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8