Thread: Looking for a little direction to learn how to modify existing games.

ssdko2009 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Question Looking for a little direction to learn how to modify existing games.

First let me preface, I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct forum for this kind of question, so please forgive me if it isn't and mods feel free to move it.

With that out of the way let me state my end goal. I want to be able to take a PSP game ISO file and be able to hack it so I can create my own mods.
    I understand this will not be a easy process to learn. I know it takes some form of ASM programming. I learned ASM for embedded micro controllers back in college so I'm sure I can learn the PSP's version.

I plan on making simple hacks at first, mostly using Symphony of the Night (inside of Dracula X Chronicles) as my test bed.
    First some simple text modifications like, fixing the incorrectly named monsters and weapons (Cuthulu I'm looking at you!)
    Then graduate eventually to adding in some of the Saturn only stuff (Adding weapons, making the jewel sword get boosts from equipped jems, eventually even the new areas).

The thing is, I don't really know what to start with.
    I think from my research that PSP games use MIPS Assembly... I think.
    The emulator PPSSPP looks like it has some great debugging tools, but a lot of it is cryptic and probably hinges on my knowledge of the ASM language used.

It might help if I had some documentation of the make up of the files in a PSP iso. Which ones are typically game data, and which are just resources and such.

Basically if there are any resources I could read up on people could point me in the direction of, I would be really great-full and even some clarification would be nice.
    Heck if get far enough along, maybe ill be able contribute back to the modding community.

Lycanphoenix is offline -Hacks Newbie

You are correct; the PSP, PS1, PS2 and Nintendo 64 all use MIPS assembly.
    I am also trying to modify a PSP ISO, more specifically I'm trying to modify WipEout Pure in an attempt to combine the different versions (and their exclusive content/features) into one seamless package. I don't know much about coding in ASM, but we might be able to help each other out.