Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumping a UMD

huhh is offline -Hacks Veteran

I wrote this guide to help some people that want to rip/dump a UMD to your Memory Stick or USB. From dumping it to running it with Devhook v0.45/v0.46.

Index
    Step 1: Downloading the homebrew/apps and installing them.
    Step 2a: Dumping a UMD w/Fastloader
    Step 2b: Dumping a UMD w/UMD Dax Dumper Beta v0.2
    Step 3: Rejoining ISO Files
    Step 4: Compressing the ISO for use in Devhook
    Step 5: Loading the game with Devhook

Tools needed to dump Memory Stick:
    1) Fastloader v0.7 - Download

Tools needed to dump to USB (PC):
    2) UMD Dax Dumper Beta v0.2 - Download
    3) USBHostFS (PSPLink) - Download
    4) USB Driver Library - Download

Extra Tools Needed:
    5) Devhook v0.46 - Download (I'm using ChaosZero's Ultimate installer for this to streamline the process).
    6) PSP ISO Compressor v1.1 - Download

Step 1: Downloading the homebrew/apps and installing them.

FASTLOADER (homebrew)

Let's start with getting to know Fastloader and all it's glory. Fastloader is a UMD Dumper/Loader, no one uses it as a loader anymore so we'll just pretend it is just for Dumping. This program has the ability to dump all the data on a UMD disc to your memory stick, in either a full single file or in multiple parts. I will go through both process for everyone's sake.

Fastloader comes with multiple folders (ISO, ISOMISC, ISOSPLIT, FASTLOADER & FASTLOADER%) Below is the tree structure where they should be placed. Pictures: [root][game] (right click -> Open in New Window)
    ms0:/ (root) This is the Root of your memory stick (x:\ or ms0:/)
    |
    ISO root dir
    |
    ISOMISC root dir
    |
    ISOSPLIT root dir
    |
    PSP ->GAME
    |
    FASTLOADER This goes in your GAME dir. This is where you run your homebrew eboots.
    |
    FASTLOADER% Same as above.
    When you start up your PSP you'll notice some Corrupted Data, you can use Sei PSP Tool v0.5b to hide this corruption or install Custom Firmware to hide Currupted Icons. I wont go into Custom firmware right now.

USBHostFS (homebrew/PC app)

This allows you to connect your PSP to your PC to allow for dumping directly to your PC via USB or Wifi. I'm only going through the USB method. Installation will follow in section 2.

USB Driver Library (drivers)

The USB driver library required to connect your PSP to the PC to dump via USB. Installation will follow in section 2. (required to dump via USB)

DEVHOOK (homebrew)

Devhook is the latest and greatest homebrew for running your ISO files and UMD discs. It has the ability to emulate Firmware 2.71 and all the features that come with it, like AVC video playback, Web Browser, Playing UMD's that require any firmware...etc. Devhook also has the ability to run CSO compress ISO files, this is just like DAX format you see with DAX ZISO. Just to point out Devhook DOES NOT run DAX format ISO files, just ISO and CSO.

ChaosZero Devhook Ultimate installer is very straight forward, so there is no need for me to explain the installation.

PSP ISO COMPRESSOR (PC app)

This is a handy tool that you can use to compress your ISO's into DAX or CSO and vise versa. Again we used to do this by command line (i still do). Extract the contents to a empty folder.

Step 2a: Dumping a UMD w/Fastloader

First you need to know how much space you have on your memory stick.

As you can see I have 1906mb available. This is enough for any UMD because a UMD only holds 1.8GB max, and most games don't go near that size. Of course you'll have to split the files up if you dont have enough space for the game.

Put your UMD game in the drive and load up Fastloader. You will see 2 options "Start Inserted UMD" & "Dump Inserted UMD!". Go to "Dump Inserted UMD!" and hit the X button. The next screen is just a joke, so don't worry. You'll be sent to a screen where it tells you how much space the UMD is and X to start Dumping. I used Socom to dump. Socom is 560168960 bytes (9 Numbers), you just have to worry about the first 3 numbers (look below). This tells me it is 560mb, which is smaller than my 1906mb free.

7 Numbers (1000000 bytes) = 1mb -> First Number
    8 Numbers (10000000 bytes) = 10mb -> First 2 Numbers
    9 Numbers (100000000 bytes) = 100mb -> First 3 Numbers
    10 Numbers (1000000000 bytes) = 1000mb -> First 4 Numbers

By hitting Left or Right you can change the size of the file splitting (10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 400, 800). You'll also see how many parts it will break it up to.

After you have chosen whether or not to split the ISO, hit the X button to start Dumping. Fastloader will autopause if you chose to split the files. When it Pauses you can hit the Triangle button to activate USB, the Split files will be in ISOSPLIT named "My latest dump (Part 1)". Move it to a folder on your computer. Press the triangle again to deactivate USB, then press the Square button to resume dumping. Do it again for Part 2, Part 3...etc

When Fastloader Finishes the Dump you'll be sent back to the Dump screen again. To exit Fastloader press L+R+Home.

You now have a Dump. Whether it is 3 files of 200mb or 1 file of 560mb, you have the game.
    -!*NOTES*!-

1) Fastloader does not add the extention .iso on the file, you must do that manually for it to be recognised as an ISO. Just add ".iso" on the end.

2) WinRAR associates itself with ISO files by default, so you may think it's an RAR file. To Un-associate it from an ISO:
    a) Open WinRAR
    b) Options -> Settings... -> Integration (tab).
    c) under "Associate WinRAR with", make sure ISO is Unchecked.
    d) Click ok
    Now you dont have to worry if it's an rar or an ISO.
    Step 2b: Dumping a UMD w/UMD Dax Dumper Beta v0.2

Some people do not have the ability to dump an entire UMD to their memory stick. This section is for those people, or for anyone wanting to dump a UMD to thier PC via USB.

1) First things first, Installation.

USBHostFS (usbhostfs_bin.rar):
    Unrar and place anywhere you want, it's up to you.

UMD Dax Dumper Beta v0.2:
    Place "umddaxdumper%" & "umddaxdumper" in ms0:/PSP/GAME/ (just like any homebrew).

USB Driver Library (libusb_win32.rar):
    Unrar and place anywhere you want, we wont be needing it after we are done.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Creating an .inf for the USB

a) Insert a UMD.
    b) Plug your PSP into your computer (USB) and start up UMD Dax Dumper Beta v0.2. When it loads you will see a black screen.
    c) Change the first option (Dump to) to usbhostfs0:/ISO.
    d) Hit Start.

Your PC should now make a sound and detect your PSP. A window will pop up and say "psp type b", just ignore this window for the time being. We'll come back to it later.

Go into the dir where you extracted "libusb_win32.rar". You should see 4 dirs & 4 files. Go into "bin" and open "inf-wizard.exe. Click on Next and you will be take to a list of USB devices connected, click on "psp type b". Hit Next, then next again. Now you will have to save the .inf file which should be saved in the same dir (/bin), call it "pspusb.inf". Click on finish.

Go back to that window we ignored and select "install from a specific location", then hit Next. Find the "pspusb.inf" (/bin). Your PC will install the drivers, might take a minute depending on your computer. When it's done, exit the UMD Dax Dumper.

Now go to your USBHostFS (usbhostfs_bin.rar) directory and double click on "usbhostfs_pc.exe", a window will pop up, leave it open. Start up UMD Dax Dumper Beta v0.2. Use the settings below using left and right.

UMD Size = xxxx MB

Dump to usbhostfs0:/ISO
    Format ISO
    Compression Level 9 (this doesn't matter with ISO format)
    Split Size No Split
    Hit the Start button on your PSP, you should hear the PSP connect to the PC and start dumping. When it is done you will be left with "myumd.iso" in the "ISO" dir inside of the USBHostFS/usbhostfs_pc" dir . Rename it to whatever you want.

You can delete USB Driver Library (libusb_win32.rar) files now.

Step 3: Rejoining ISO Files

If you decided to split the dump you need to rejoin the files into 1 ISO image. Go to the Directory with your split files, rename them 1.iso, 2.iso, 3.iso...etc. Go to command prompt (start -> run "cmd"), and go to your directory where you saved your ISO files. Type "copy /b 1.iso+2.iso+3.iso final.iso", or however many split files you have dumped.

You now have a single ISO file named final.iso, so you can go ahead and delete the splits parts. You can also rename it to whatever the game is called, just keep it short and sweet...long names just cause trouble.

Step 4: Compressing the ISO for use in Devhook

Now we get to make the ISO file smaller by compressing it using PSP ISO Compressor. I will go through the Utility way.

PSP ISO Compressor steps:

a) Load PSP ISO Compressor v1.1
    b) Under Select compressed ISO Format choose ISO -> CSO.
    c) Click the three ... to the right of Select origional ISO Image, find the ISO we just made and hit open.
    d) Choose you Compression level (1-9), the higher the number the more compression will be used. Some games experience "Lag" when compressed. If you experience lag, lower the compression level. Some games can't be compressed period. (GTA:LCS)

e) By default it will save it in the same directory with the same name but with a .CSO on the end instead of .ISO.
    f) Hit the Compress Button and it will compress using cmd prompt.

You now have a Compressed ISO image that can run in Devhook.
    -!*NOTES*!-

Command Prompt CiSO commands:
    Compressing - ciso X NAME.iso NAME.cso (X=Compression Level 1 - 9)
    Decompressing - ciso 0 NAME.cso Name.iso
    Step 5: Loading the game with Devhook v0.46/v0.45/v0.44

Turn your PSP on and enter USB mode. Now take that xxxxxxxx.cso file you just compressed and put it in the ISO dir at the root of your memory stick. Exit USB mode and boot up devhook from the Game -> Memory Stick. You'll come to a black screen (For devhook v0.45/v0.44 you will need to hit the O button once you get to the main screen to stop the autoload). and you will see a menu. Enter these options:

Devhook v0.46
    UMD SELECT --> xxxxxxxxxx.iso or xxxxxxxxxx.cso NOT xxxxxxxxxx.dax (Select your game ISO/CSO)
    FIRMWARE --> 2.71
    CPU CLOCK --> 333MHz/166MHz
    BOOT SELECT --> Reboot XMB
    Devhook v0.45/v0.44
    UMD SELECT --> xxxxxxxxxx.iso or xxxxxxxxxx.cso NOT xxxxxxxxxx.dax (Select your game ISO/CSO)
    UMD MOUNT --> iso anyumd
    UMD VERSION --> 2.xx -> 2.00
    FIRMWARE --> 2.71
    CPU CLOCK --> 222MHz/111MHz
    BOOT SELECT --> Reboot XMB
    Hit your O button on START. (in the menu)

You're PSP will reboot to firmware 2.71. Put in any UMD disc you have, though it cannot be a movie UMD, it must be either a game or sampler UMD. Go to Game and look for the UMD Game icon. That is your ISO game being emulated.

Congrats you have a working backup of your game.

I hope this has helped some people in learning more about dumping a umd and loading it. I will probably revise it a little due to the fact i just ran through it, probably give it some more pictures n crap.

If you have any comments or suggestions plz pm me or post it in this thread.

Peace.

Randomstickynote is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Nice tutorial, although you should add in on how to use the UMD dumper DarkAlex made: http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/540

Fastloader is a bit obsolete. That UMD dumper can dump across usb so no need for splitting files and such, but that up to you.

dienasty is offline -Hacks Guru

thnx for the tut but shouldnt this go in the tutorial section??? really well written gj

================ {~Flare-Fx~} ===============
    xX We Set The Trend.....We Set The Flare.....Flare-Fx Xx

Randomstickynote is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

Yeah thats a good idea, moved to tuts section.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomstickynote
    Nice tutorial, although you should add in on how to use the UMD dumper DarkAlex made: http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/540

Fastloader is a bit obsolete. That UMD dumper can dump across usb so no need for splitting files and such, but that up to you.
    I could. Mostly wrote it for people just starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by dienasty
    thnx for the tut but shouldnt this go in the tutorial section??? really well written gj
    Can't post in the Tutorial Section, has to be moved. Thanx for the kind words

KAV1 is offline -Hacks Newbie

I dumped one of my UMDs to ISO format with Fastloader v0.7
    For some reason the file that apprears in my ISO folder isn't recognized as an ISO - I renamed it but still doesn't work..
    What am I doing wrong?

Try Dumping it again.

Quote Originally Posted by huhh
    Try Dumping it again.
    Three times now with no luck.. It must be something simple I'm messing up..

You sure you have enough space on your memory card, if you dont it will be corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by huhh
    You sure you have enough space on your memory card, if you dont it will be corrupt.
    Brand new 2 GB Sandisk card with almost nothing on it and the game i'm dumping is small..

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast