Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: free space on flash0

cr0bar is offline Senior Member -Hacks Guru

This possibly serves no real function aside from giving another hidden place in which to store horse cocks away from prying eyes. It perhaps may prove useful for those paranoid about only around 0.1MB free space in flash0 for customization purposes, following updating to 3.XX OE-X custom firmware. Most of my new-found wisdom stems from this thread over at QJ. Note that this guide is mainly intended for 3.XX OE firmware, not 1.50 or 2.71 SE-X, although there will be some parts pertaining to all three. Non custom firmware users are unable to recover from accidental bricks. I take no responsibility for your foolishness. You can carry out the below steps using PSPFiler as well, but that is your own perogative.

Purpose:

Creating a "stripped-down" firmware by removing non-essential items, like video playback and the web browser, for customization purposes. All of these are optional things to remove.

Things needed:

1) A PSP with 3.03 OE-C or 3.10 OE-A custom firmware. No other versions.
    2) Knowledge of copying/pasting/renaming files.
    3) Ability to follow instructions to the letter.
    4) Some common sense; only do this if you are comfortable with it/sufficiently bored.

Procedure:

1) Go to the recovery menu. If you don't know how to get there, I advise you do not continue past this point.

2) Go to advanced, then click toggle USB (flash0). Your flash0 should now appear as an external drive on your PC.

3) Create a folder somewhere on your PC, and copy everything in your flash0 into it. This folder will be needed if you screw up and do not wish to do a complete reflash.

Step 1: If you want Japanese/Korean/Chinese fonts, skip this step. For 99% of people this is the only step needed to be taken.

Go to x:/font. Copy and paste ltn9.pgf twice, this makes two copies of the same file. Delete jpn0.pgf, and rename one of the copies to jpn0.pgf.

Delete gb3s1518.bwfon. Rename the second copy of ltn9.pgf to gb3s1518.bwfon.

You now have 2,545KB/~2.5MB more space on your flash0.

Step 2: If you want to use the web browser/flash player skip this step.

Go to x:/vsh/nodule. Note that's nodule, not module. Remove htmlviewer_plugin.prx, htmlviewer_ui.prx and htmlviewer_utility.prx. Go to x:/vsh/resource. Remove htmlviewer.fbm, htmlviewer.gim htmlviewer.msg, htmlviewer.res, htmlviewer.snd and htmlviewer_plugin.rco.

You now have 492KB/~0.5MB more space on your flash0.

Step 3: If you want to play mp3s or music on your PSP skip this step.

Go to x:/vsh/nodule. Remove music_main_plugin.prx, music_common.prx, music_plugin.prx. Go to x:/vsh/resource. Remove music_main_plugin.rco.

You now have 623KB/~0.6MB more space on your flash0.

Step 4: If you want to view photos skip this step, you dirty bastard.

Go to x:/vsh/nodule. Remove photo_plugin.prx. Go to x:/vsh/resource. Remove photo_plugin.rco.

You now have 232KB/~0.2MB more space on your flash0.

Step 5: If you want to play videos skip this step.

Go tox:/vsh/nodule. Remove video_plugin.prx, video_main_plugin.prx, msvideo_plugin.prx, msvideo_main_plugin.prx. Go to x:/vsh/resource. Remove video_plugin_videotoolbar.rco, video_main_plugin.rco, msvideo_main_plugin.rco.

You now have 802KB/~0.8MB more space on your flash0.

Step 6: If you want to use the RSS features skip this step.

Go to x:/vsh/nodule. Remove rss_subscriber.prx. Go to x:/vsh/resource. Remove rss_subscriber.rco.

You now have 21.1KB/~0.02MB more space on your flash0.

Step 7: If you want to use the Network Update icon, GTFO.

Go to x:/vsh/nodule. Remove update_plugin.prx. Go to x:/vsh/resource. Remove update_plugin.rco.

You now have 33.6KB/~0.03MB more space on your flash0.

Step 8: If you want to use the PSP Camera addon skip this step.

Go tox:/vsh/nodule. Remove camera_plugin.rco. Go to flash0:/vsh/resource. Remove camera_plugin.prx. Go to x:/kn. Remove usbcam.prx.

You now have 277KB/~0.3MB more space on your flash0.

Step 9: If you want to use the PSP GPS addon skip this step.

Go to x:/kn. Remove usbgps.prx.

You now have 15.4KB/~0.02MB more space on your flash0.

Final step: Only if you have ballsed up and get a semi-brick. If not, this can be ignored.

Go to the recovery menu and re-enable flash0 access via USB. Drag and drop everything in your backup flash0 folder back into your flash0.

Alternatively if you'd rather start over, you have two choices:

1) Return to 1.50 and reflash custom firmware.
    2) Reflash 3.03 OE-C or 3.10 OE-A directly.

Returning to 1.50: Download the 1.50 EBOOT here. Click "toggle USB" (memory stick access, not flash access). Rename the EBOOT.PBP to UPDATE.PBP, and place it in PSP/GAME/RECOVERY. Click the third option, "Run program at..", then follow what it says on-screen. You can then reflash 3.XX OE afterwards.

Reflashing 3.03 OE-C/3.10 OE-A: Download the 3.03 OE-C installer here or the 3.10 OE-A installer here. Click "toggle USB" (memory stick access, not flash access) and run the installer. Go to PSP/GAME and delete the recovery folder, if there is one. Rename 303oeflasher or 310oeflasher to RECOVERY (all caps). You can delete the 3xxoeflasher% folders. Click the third option in the recovery menu, "Run program at..", then follow what it says on-screen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should now have removed/replaced around 5MB of non-essentials from your flash0. You can check how much space you have freed up by right-clicking the drive and going to properties. I have tested all of this myself and can play PSP games just fine, aside from not being to exit to the XMB via pressing Home - one must do a hard reset (I cannot be arsed checking precisely which files removed are responsible for this) I have not yet tested PSX games but they ought to work the same. There are another few files which may be removable, if they are and their absence causes no problems they will be added to the list.

Here is a final table list of all the files listed above, 32 in total:

x:/font/gb3s1518.bwfon (dummy this)
    x:/font/jpn0.pgf (dummy this)
    x:/kd/usbcam.prx
    x:/kd/usbgps.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/camera_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/htmlviewer_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/htmlviewer_ui.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/htmlviewer_utility.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/msvideo_main_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/msvideo_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/music_common.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/music_main_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/music_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/photo_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/rss_subscriber.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/update_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/video_main_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/nodule/video_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/resource/camera_plugin.rco
    x:/vsh/resource/htmlviewer.fbm
    x:/vsh/resource/htmlviewer.gim
    x:/vsh/resource/htmlviewer.msg
    x:/vsh/resource/htmlviewer.res
    x:/vsh/resource/htmlviewer.snd
    x:/vsh/resource/htmlviewer_plugin.rco
    x:/vsh/resource/msvideo_main_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/resource/msvideo_plugin.prx
    x:/vsh/resource/photo_plugin.rco
    x:/vsh/resource/rss_subscriber.rco
    x:/vsh/resource/update_plugin.rco
    x:/vsh/resource/video_main_plugin.rco
    x:/vsh/resource/video_plugin_videotoolbar.rco
    Credits are extended to whoever bitches in a reply, and yes I am the same cr0bar on FTB2.

Ваше будущее умирает сегодня.

fimmy is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

nicely explained cr0bar :D

Whoops, forgot to add in what to do when the PSP is semi-bricked. Fixed.

Here is also the error message when trying to set the language to Japanese:

Dr. Nick is offline -Hacks Veteran

irda.prx may also be removed
    usbcam.prx, usbmic.prx, and usbgps.prx may be removed NOT USB.PRX

p0Wer is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

~Moved to tutorials~

Teh_Noodles is offline -Hacks Smarty

nice... the jpn0.pgf is really the only one worth it. But good info none the less.

Bynoe is offline -Hacks Newbie

Um... I think I may have messed up a little bit -_-' I was following this tutorial to free up some space in the flash drive but I think I accidentally delted a couple of files I shouldn't have, everything seems to be working OK though strangely enough... anyway I dumped the flash before doing anything as the tutorial said but when I started deleting files in Filer2.2 by default everything was highlighted and I accidentally OKed deleting the first couple of files before I realised what had happened, the tutorial says to enter USB Mode in the recovery menu and rename the file foler in PSP/GMAE150 to BOOT but I don't quite follow here, what recovery menu is the tutorial referring to and exactly which folder am I to rename BOOT? If someone could please elaborate on the "Final Step" it'd be greatly appreciated, sorry for any bother this causes.

If your "filer" folder is in GAME150 then copy and paste it to GAME, and rename it to BOOT. If it's in GAME then just rename to BOOT (all caps). Then in the recovery menu go to Configuration -> Autorun program at..

Next time you start your PSP it'll load straight into Filer, from there you can copy your things back. It may however be simpler to just reflash 1.50 and then get back to OE if you're not sure which files you've messed up.

-e-

What'd usbmic.prx be used for?

LinK3604 is offline -Hacks Neophyte

GJ on the tut, freed up 2.0mb with just a few little clicks :)

-e-

forgot the . in 2.0 :P... it wasn't 20 mb :P

Teh_Noodles is offline -Hacks Smarty

20mb??? bye bye everything on flash0:

edit*
    Lol i was gonna say... W.O.W.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast