Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3.95 GEN Firmware Guide

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

Now, before we get into anything.. I'm not trying to admit that I'm a 3.95 GEN fanboy. But, everyone who hasn't figured. I'm not trying to go the other way just because I've been M33-loyal since 3.52 M33. (Yes, I've been tempted over time to do HX and CFW Update 3.93) I'm just trying to help out those who have decided to update to 3.95 GEN at their own will. It's their PSP, they can do whatever they want to. Now, with that said, the guide. This is not going to be a full guide like my M33 one, as it will only touch up on what has been changed/added since.

What is 3.95 GEN?

3.95 GEN is a custom firmware developed by Miriam of PSP-GEN.com. It was released on June 1, 2008. 3.95 GEN is just like any other custom firmware, - full with recovery, the ability to play homebrew, and all that - that can be flashed to any 3.71 M33+ PSP Phat or Slim.

Is it stable as M33 firmwares?

Not as much. It's a good attempt. Hope it can get worked on before 4.00. Some things such as plugins and themes won't work anymore. Try older versions and different plugins. Also, some homebrew won't work either. There's a bug here and there as well.

What do I need for 3.95 GEN?

->3.95 GEN
    ->3.95 EBOOT
    ->PSP Phat/Slim with at least 3.71 M33 installed
    ->Something that handles .rar files. 7-Zip is free and it handles them..

Once you got everything down, it is time to install.

,,`, Install/ Update ,,`,

1. Once you have downloaded everything, extract the 3.95 EBOOT. It will be named 'PSP_395_FW_UPDATE.RAR' (if you got it from here). Inside it will be a file named 'EBOOT.PBP'. Rename it to '395.PBP'. If you see 'EBOOT.PBP', replace only the 'EBOOT' with '395'. There is no need to change the .PBP or add it since your computer does not recognize it. If you have a program that handles .PBP files, you only have to rename it to '395'.

2. Connect your PSP to USB Mode, and transfer the '395.PBP' file to the root of your memory stick.. The root is the uppermost folder of your memory stick. (ms0:/ , E:/, disk, are common names)

3. Extract the contents of the 3.95 GEN Download. Move the 'PSP' folder to the root of your memory stick. Overwrite any old files. (This will overwrite a firmware update you previously had on your memory stick. If you had one.)

If you use popsloader, drag the contents of the 'seplugins' folder to the root and overwrite old files as well. You must use this popsloader to load PSX games or you will not be able to play a lot of games since they might not run well on 3.95. Read more notes later on.

4. Disconnect your PSP from USB Mode. Reboot into recovery, and change the kernel to whatever 3.xx kernel. You must use this kernel or else you will brick.

5. Once that is set, move to Game>MemoryStick, and search for 3.95 GEN update. If you have a battery charge lower than 50%, hold L + Triangle to bypass battery check. If not, let you don't have to.

6. Once the update start, it will display some info about your PSP. Press X to begin the update, and will load what it needs to load.

6a. If you are just updating the PSP to a different update, it will say 'Quick Update', and not 'Full Update'. In anyways, press X to flash the files. If you are just updating, skip to 8.

7. The Sony updater will load. No panic. Just update normally making sure that the power to your PSP does not cut out during the update. When it is finished, you must press X/0 to reboot or else you will brick!.

8. After the reboot, you will be on 3.95 GEN.. There is no 1.50 kernel for Phats yet. Use Noobz's eLoader or TimeMachine to run 1.50 homebrew. For 1.50 kernel, read the FAQ.

,,`, Features (New) ,,`,

There are a couple of new features included in 3.95 GEN besides the Sony ones. These include the vsh-recovery menu, the ability to hide your mac address in the XMB, pandorize/revert a battery,backup an EEPROM, and some other things I probably haven't caught up on. Here's a layout of some.

VSH-RECOVERY

Vsh-recovery is exactly what it sounds like. The firmware's recovery menu being accessible from the XMB with a press of a button. To bring it up, press SELECT. The recovery menu is exactly what the standard M33 recovery is except with the color changes and a bit of new stuff added.

Toogle USB - Toogle USB for memory stick
    Configuration ->
    -Skip Sony Logo - Skip the boot up sequence. (Boots directly to XMB)
    -Hide corrupt icons - Hide corrupted icons as a result of 1.50 homebrew
    -Game folder homebrew - Kernel for games. (3.95 kernel or 1.50 kernel)
    -Autorun program at /PSP/GAME/BOOT/EBOOT.PBP - Autorun whatever eboot is at the path.
    -UMD Mode - How ISOs are loaded. Which loader to use.
    -Fake region - Fake your PSP's region. Does not affect configuration for updates, etc.
    -Free UMD Region - Free UMD Region. Allows you to play any UMD from anywhere.
    -Hard reset on homebrew -
    -Use in VshMenu - What to map to SELECT in the XMB. The vshMenu (the vshMenu is the same as the other M33 firmwares) or Recovery.
    -Charge battery when USB cable plugged <Slims Only> - Charge battery when USB is connected and computer is on.
    -Use Network Update - Instead of the Network Update checking for updates for Sony updates, you can set it to check for GEN updates, as well as M33 firmware updates.
    -Hide PIC0.PNG and PIC1.PNG in game menu <3.80 M33-5 onwards> - Hides the background, and thumbnail icon/information image in the game menu. This is done to speed up loading in the XMB under GAME>MemoryStick. This does not affect UMDs.
    -Hide mac in the VSH system info - Changes the Mac addy displayed to all 0's. (Does not affect the actual address transmitted!)

Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVER/EBOOT.PBP - Run Eboot.PBP at path
    Advanced->
    Advanced Configuration ->
    -Plain modules in UMD/ISO - Plugins designed for games work in UMD or ISOs
    -Execute BOOT.BIN in UMD/ISO - A developer feature
    Toogle USB <flash0> - USB Connection to flash0
    Toogle USB <flash1> " " " flash1
    " " <flash2> " " " flash2
    " " <flash3> " " " flash3
    Format flash1 and reset settings - Formats flash1 - Reset settings.
    Make Pandora Battery - Converts inserted battery to Pandora. (Only on Phats, and TA-085v1 Slims)
    Make NORMAL Battery - Makes inserted battery normal. (Only on Phats, and TA-085v1 Slims)
    Read Battery EEPROM - Dumps EEPROM of inserted battery to MS.
    Toogle USB (UMD) - Self explanatory.
    CPU Speed ->
    -Speed in XMB - CPU Speed in the XMB
    -Speed in UMD/ISO - CPU Speed in games (UMDs) or ISOs.
    Plugins -> - Shows plugins, where they are assigned, and whether or not they're disabled or enabled.
    Registry Hacks ->
    -Button assign - Changes the button config from everywhere else to Japan or vice versa.
    -Activate WMA - Activate WMA Play
    -Activate Flash Player (already activated on Slims) - Activate Flash Player
    Reset Device - Reboots PSP.
    Shutdown Device - Turns PSP off.
    Suspend Device - Puts it to sleep.
    Exit - Exits to XMB. (Hotkey: R)
    Popsloader

Popsloader works on 3.95 GEN. :) You just need to transfer the 'popsloader.prx' from the download. (As explained in Step 3 of Install Section). However, 3.95 POPS (aka the POPS in flash) will not work as a bug stops it from displaying. People say it's garbage anyways. Popsloader is still the standard so everything will play as long as you have everything correctly setup. If you need to set your POPS, hold R while booting a PSX game and wait for the menu to come up. Also, make sure you activate it from recovery.

,,`, Bugs ,,`,

There has been a couple bugs that have arisen since the release of the download. This section will highlight what we (as PSP users) have found.

-.AT3 files don't play while on ISOs in the GAME > MemoryStick menu.
    -Some specific homebrew such as irShell and NervOS won't work properly.
    -Some plugins will not work. (Not really a bug. Just happens when nids change)

,,`, Uninstall ,,`,

So you had enough of 3.95 GEN and want to downgrade? Well, tough pinkies!! The only way to uninstall is to upgrade to a newer custom firmware/official firmware, or downgrade via Pandora's Battery. If you had made a nand dump before the install, you can download the EBOOT version of Cory's NandTool and re-flash the nand from there. If you can't get a hold of Pandora's Battery, you can try your luck with recovery (Phats only), or wait for a new firmware update.

,,`, FAQ ,,`,

Source for some Q/A : http://translate.google.com/translat...F8&sl=fr&tl=en

?: I want to go back to my old firmware.
    !: Read Uninstall section above.

?: I tried to update via Network Update from 3.95 GEN, to 3.95 GEN-2.. Nothing..
    !: Known bug. Will be fixed in 3.95 GEN-3. That's if there is one.

?: When will Phats get their 1.50 kernel?
    !: Personally, idk. Miriam said that he/she might blow it off. He/she stated that even Math and M33 might not do the 1.50 kernel addon for 4.00 M33. Better start preparing now I guess.

?: Plugins from earlier firmwares... Will they work?
    !: Some will, some won't. I know nothing about coding, so you might want to ask the devs about that. All I know is that the nids have to be resolved again for some plugins to work, or even work correctly.

?: The autoboot ('run program at PSP / GAME / RECOVERY / EBOOT.PBP') at recovery doesn't work.
    !: More of an "always there" bug. Miriam planned to fix this in 3.95 GEN-2, but he/she forgot about it. Maybe it will be fixed in 3.95 GEN-3.

?: CXMB?
    !: Yes... - http://www.mediafire.com/?qa5onqmkxx1

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

blingbusta is offline -Hacks Neophyte

uh, i tried putting a chrono trigger ps1 on my 3.95 gen. black screen. i have the popsloader though. enabled. and it wont even show the darn pops menu. how come?

Robert is offline -Hacks God

I think you have to use the included pops. And it's a good idea to write a GEN guide to let everyone know what's what. :mrgreenthumbsup:

Use the included POPS. There is no POPS for 3.95...

Updated the guide..

Twitter

oh nvm, i downgraded. the good thing ive noticed is the extremely easy pandoraizer from the recovery. at least i didn't have to do it the longer way. :bucktooth:

oh, how come still no 1.50 kernel? and why some of the hombrew not running? can you explain me the long way?

First, no 1.50 Kernel Addon has been released. That will solve the 1.50 homebrew not working. All 3.xx homebrew should work fine except for shells like irShell, and NervOS. (Has to be patched for the new files used by the shell that comes from the system)

I wouldn't rush Miriam. He/she will patch it up in time.

Twitter

but by the way it looks, she/he just rushed the cfw. well, too rushed i think. or she thought that the only important thing in cfw's are unbricking and iso playing. good job tho..

Spartan 117 is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

nice tut, going to give it a try, hope my PSX games work good :)
    lol @ Thread

Spartan 117. 2005-2019. All rights Reserved, lol

Need X-Box 360 help, Click Here!

BCman is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

definatly has a future in the CF scene, still a M33 fanboy though....D.A. ftw.

Yeah. Any game that uses 3.00-3.72 POPS. You should be fine Spartan.

Added pics..

Twitter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast