Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5.02 GEN-A Firmware Guide

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

Default 5.02 GEN-A Firmware Guide

This guide is a copy of my 3.95 Firmware Guide but it started to get confusing after adding info. Here's a new one for 5.02 GEN-A.

What is GEN?

The GEN series firmwares are custom firmwares developed by Miriam of PSP-GEN.com. It was first released on June 1, 2008. The GEN firmwares are just like any other custom firmwares, - full with recovery, the ability to play homebrew, and all that can be flashed to any 3.52 M33+ PSP Phat or Slim. (As of 5.02 GEN)

Is it stable as M33 firmwares?

With the release of 5.02 GEN-A, I say it is. With the support of popsloader using DAX's releases, increased homebrew compatibility, and some other new features added in, it really is. So far, only one user has reported a bug with the 'Format flash1' feature in the Vsh-Recovery. (Which isn't much of a problem)

What do I need for 5.02 GEN?

->5.02 GEN-A FULL PACKAGE
    ->PSP Phat/Slim with at least 3.52 M33 -3 installed
    ->Something that handles .rar files. 7-Zip is free and it handles them..

Once you got everything down, it is time to install. If you are installing 5.02 GEN, read only steps 1a, 5a, and 7.

,,`, Install/ Update ,,`,

1. Once you have downloaded everything, extract it. A folder named 'PSP' should come out. Just copy that folder to the root of your memory stick and overwrite everything. No harm will be done except for the fact that whatever previous update you had will be overwritten.

2. Disconnect your PSP from USB Mode. Reboot into recovery, and change the kernel to use the higher kernel version. (NOT 1.50 kernel. The 3.xx/4.xx/5.xx ones) You must use this kernel or else you will brick.

5. Once that is set, move to Game>MemoryStick, and search for the 5.02 GEN update. If you have a battery charge lower than 78%, hold L + Triangle to bypass battery check. If not, let you don't have to.

6. When it launches, you will be given the option to chose between the Full and Lite versions. The Full version is everything with the ability to launch ISOs, and all that good stuff. The Lite version is the stripped down version of the firmware which only allows you to run homebrew, and signed games. (Not ISOs) Make your selection and accept the agreement. The update will continue.

7. Once the update start, it will display the bit of humor we all need. Press X when it says to launch the sce updater.

8. The Sony updater will load. No panic. Just update normally making sure that the power to your PSP does not cut out during the update. When it is finished, you must press X/0 to reboot or else you will brick!.

8. After the reboot, you will be on 5.02 GEN-A. There is a 1.50 kernel for Phats. (Below)

,,`, Features (New) ,,`,

There are a couple of new features included in 5.02 GEN-A besides the Sony ones. These include the vsh-recovery menu, the ability to hide your mac address in the XMB, pandorize/revert a battery,backup an EEPROM, reboot into the official firmware version of 5.02, the use of game categories, and some other things I probably haven't caught up on. Here's a layout of some.

VSH-RECOVERY

Vsh-recovery is exactly what it sounds like. The firmware's recovery menu being accessible from the XMB with a press of a button. To bring it up, press SELECT. (In 5.02 GEN - SELECT, and then go to RECOVERY) The recovery menu is exactly what the standard M33 recovery is except with the color changes and a bit of new stuff added.

Toogle USB - Toogle USB for memory stick
    Configuration ->
    -Skip Sony Logo - Skip the boot up sequence. (Boots directly to XMB)
    -Hide corrupt icons - Hide corrupted icons as a result of 1.50 homebrew
    -Game folder homebrew - Kernel for games. (5.XX/1.50 kernels)
    -Autorun program at /PSP/GAME/BOOT/EBOOT.PBP - Autorun whatever eboot is at the path.
    -UMD Mode - How ISOs are loaded. Which loader to use.
    -Fake region - Fake your PSP's region. Does not affect configuration for updates, etc.
    -Use in VshMenu - What to map to SELECT in the XMB. The vshMenu (the vshMenu is the same as the other M33 firmwares) or Recovery.
    -XMB USB Device (Currently:xxx) - What connection you want the PSP to make while using USB in the XMB. (MS, flash0-3)
    -Charge battery when USB cable plugged <Slims Only> - Charge battery when USB is connected and computer is on.
    -Use M33 Network Update - Use Network Update to check for updates to M33 Firmwares only. Must be enabled or else it will search for Sony updates.
    -Hide PIC0.PNG and PIC1.PNG in game menu <3.80 M33-5 onwards> - Hides the background, and thumbnail icon/information image in the game menu. This is done to speed up loading in the XMB under GAME>MemoryStick. This does not affect UMDs.
    -Use version.txt - This file fakes the firmware that is read by programs, updates, your PS3, etc. While enabled, this takes effect.
    -Hide mac in the VSH system info - Changes the Mac addy displayed to all [Hidden]. (Does not affect the actual address transmitted!)
    -Use Game Categories - Allows you to categorize your game listing through the use of Bubbletune's plugin. (Read the readme)

Reboot into official firmware - Reboots into a 5.02 OFW version. Reboot again to go back to 5.02 GEN.

Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVER/EBOOT.PBP - Run Eboot.PBP at path
    Advanced->
    Advanced Configuration ->
    -Plain modules in UMD/ISO - Plugins designed for games work in UMD or ISOs
    -Execute BOOT.BIN in UMD/ISO - A developer feature
    - XMB Plugins - This exists also for GAME, and POPS plugins. Allows you to mass disable or enable plugins for these three categories.
    Toogle USB <flash0> - USB Connection to flash0
    Toogle USB <flash1> " " " flash1
    " " <flash2> " " " flash2
    " " <flash3> " " " flash3
    Format flash1 and reset settings - Formats flash1 - Reset settings.
    Convert battery to an auto-boot battery - Converts inserted battery to an autoboot battery that automatically starts PSP. (Only on Phats, and TA-085v1 Slims)
    Convert battery to a Pandora Battery - Converts inserted battery to Pandora. (Only on Phats, and TA-085v1 Slims)
    Convert battery to a NORMAL Battery - Makes inserted battery normal. (Only on Phats, and TA-085v1 Slims)
    CPU Speed ->
    -Speed in XMB - CPU Speed in the XMB
    -Speed in UMD/ISO - CPU Speed in games (UMDs) or ISOs.
    Plugins -> - Shows plugins, where they are assigned, and whether or not they're disabled or enabled.
    Registry Hacks ->
    -Button assign - Changes the button config from everywhere else to Japan or vice versa.
    -Activate WMA - Activate WMA Play
    -Activate Flash Player (already activated on Slims) - Activate Flash Player
    Suspend Device - Puts it to sleep.
    Reset Device - Gives it a reboot.
    Exit - Exits to XMB. (Hotkey: SELECT)
    Popsloader

Popsloader works on 5.02 GEN. You just need to use Dark_Alex's popsloader plugin for 5.00 M33-4. You can find that HERE

,,`, Bugs ,,`,

There has only been one bug reported so far (that I know of). The Format flash1 option in recovery does not work. It locks up the PSP forcing a hard reset. I haven't tried this myself, but if it does happen to you, you can get a BSOD on the PSP, and format flash1 from there.

,,`, Uninstall ,,`,

So you had enough of GEN and want to downgrade? The only ways are to uninstall is to upgrade to a newer custom firmware/official firmware, downgrade via Pandora's Battery, or use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. <--- LINK If you had made a nand dump before the install, you can download the EBOOT version of Cory's NandTool and re-flash the nand from there. If you can't get a hold of Pandora's Battery, you can use any of the other methods.

,,`, FAQ ,,`,

?: I want to go back to my old firmware.
    !: Read Uninstall section above.

?: I tried to update via Network Update from GEN, and it went to official firmware.
    !: The Use M33 Network Update has to be enabled in recovery. Get it right.

?: When will Phats get their 1.50 kernel?
    !: GET IT HERE

?: Plugins from earlier firmwares... Will they work?
    !: Some will, some won't. I know nothing about coding, so you might want to ask the devs about that. If you are using plugins from the 3.xx era, they might not work. 4.xx and 5.xx era plugins should work.

?: The autoboot ('run program at PSP / GAME / RECOVERY / EBOOT.PBP') at recovery doesn't work.
    !: More of an "always there" bug. Miriam planned to fix this in 3.95 GEN-2, but he/she forgot about it.

?: CXMB?
    !: Yes... - HERE

?: How about irShell?
    !: Yes... But, you need to hex-edit some files. Here's a TUT

?: But I don't understand French.
    !: Sorry. I can't hex myself or I would have done it.. Run it through Google Translate.

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

Aaron*1 is offline -Hacks Guru

Good guide...

I noticed that you had it so it said for your MAC Address [HIDDEN] How did you do that? Or did you just edit the photo?
    Potato.

Fd! is offline Banned -Hacks Titan

nice, rep up.

droe6 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

No this gen has the ability to hide your mac address.
    Interested in my games or my friends games?

www.galanovagames.com

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron*1 View Post
    Good guide...

I noticed that you had it so it said for your MAC Address [HIDDEN] How did you do that? Or did you just edit the photo?
    Go into recovery.

It's under Configuration. Once enabled, reboot the PSP to make it appear.

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

Furypaw is offline Programmer -Hacks Veteran

I'm liking GEN already it's mainly the slim colours and the recovery menu in the xmb

Krunchy is offline -Hacks Newbie

To sum up the hex edits, you need to change one byte in five files located in IRSHELL\BIN from "00" to "02".

The five files and offsets are:
    Code:
    FILENAME            | OFFSET | LOOK FOR | CHANGE 2 |
    --------------------+--------+----------+----------+
    irshell500.prx      | 0x2869 | 10 00 42 | 10 02 42 |
    irshell500s.prx     | 0x28F5 | 10 00 42 | 10 02 42 |
    irspops_500.prx     | 0x0BB9 | 10 00 42 | 10 02 42 |
    nethostfs_500m.prx  | 0x1E75 | 10 00 42 | 10 02 42 |
    nethostfs_500sm.prx | 0x1E75 | 10 00 42 | 10 02 42 |
    If you don't know how to hex edit but want to give it a try (don't blame me, etc), grab yourself any hex editor (I recommend UltraEdit), open the files listed above, and jump to the specific offset for the particular file you are working on (CTRL-G brings up the "Goto Address" in UE). You should land on the 00, which is the ONLY byte you should change. Just make sure you see 10 before and 42 after the 00 you land on. Also, don't search for "10 00 42", those byte combos are in the files multiple times and the first occurrence is not the correct one. Do not search for the offset either, you need to jump to the offset. Once you are satisfied you found the correct byte, overwrite the 00 with 02 and save the file. Do this for all five files, making sure you go to the correct offset for each file. Good luck!

Damen is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hey I have recently stumbled onto the whole CFW world. I spent a whole day researching looking up tutorials and what not. I have my pandora battery and magic memory stick on it's way in the mail.

My question is this. Once my items arrive I will have 5.00 M33 installed. Now if I end up installing 5.02 GEN-A what will be the differences in it from M33? Will I still be able to run apps that are compatible with M33 and don't mention GEN?

Thanks in advance.

droe6 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

All gen is is a modification of 5.00 m33 with the 5.02 firmware.
    Interested in my games or my friends games?

www.galanovagames.com

Damen is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by droe6 View Post
    All gen is is a modification of 5.00 m33 with the 5.02 firmware.
    So it will run all stuff that is supposed to run on regular M33 right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast