Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.00 M33-6 to 5.50 GEN B-2 and back

JaiaV is offline -Hacks Member

Default 5.00 M33-6 to 5.50 GEN-D3 and back, PANDORA XGEN V5

This tutorial is NOT for: PSP-200X with TA-088v3 motherboards, PSP-300X, or the PSP-NO!
    This tutorial is intended for those with PSP-100X, or PSP-200X with motherboards previous to the 88v3 (or the extremely rare hackable 90), so that they may have a simple tutorial dedicated to installing 5.50 GEN software on already hacked PSPs with 4.01 M33 CFW or higher. I have also added a small portion where you may read about modifying a DCv8 MMS installation from the default 5.00 M33-4 to a 5.50 GEN-D3. I have attempted to make this guide as approachable to newer users of the PSP as possible. If you have questions that are not answered in this tutorial or do not know which PSP you have, please refer to the stickied tutorials.

Note: If using 5.50 GEN-B, be sure that you have installed 5.50 GEN-B2 before attempting to install other CFW.

EDIT: It's been quite a while and a lot has happened since I put out this tutorial, including the release and flop of GEN-C, the subsequent releases of GEN-D(1, 2 and 3 now). I figure there should still be a few that would like to go back to 5.00 M33-6, so I will leave this tutorial up, but I will be changing out some of the GEN-B2 features to GEN-D3. I will leave the GEN-B2 installation inside of spoiler tags so that for whatever reason you may wish you may be able to read it.

I see questions asking on how to upgrade from M33-6 to GEN B-2 (and now occasionally GEN-D3) and back a lot, so I thought I'd confirm both a way to upgrade and downgrade between the two.

Whenever you are using Hellcat's Recovery Flasher or the XGEN Updater V4 please make sure your battery is charged at least 75% or on the A/C adapter.

Both of these programs require that you already be running CFW. If you are running OFW please seethis tutorial by Scorpus.

If you're going to use any PSP game that requires 5.55+ (Gran Turismo etc) on either software, M33 or GEN, you'll need to decrypt it using the 5.55-6.00 decrypter. You'll need the decrypter and UMDgen.

5.50 GEN firmwares GEN-D and later no longer require the decrypter to run 5.55 to most 6.20 games as of the release of this post. The firmware itself has special files that decrypt the games during loading and other special files to bypass some of the newer CFW checks that games make.

5.50 GEN-D3 now includes the memory stick speed modification inside. However, it is not quite as fast as the fatmsmod hack that came along with 5.00 M33-6. If you'd like to increase your MMS read speed, please check out the fatmsmod hack.

5.50 GEN-B2 installation guide within spoiler tags:
    Spoiler:
    Upgrade from 5.00 M33-6 to 5.50 GEN B-2

This one is fairly simple. There's no need to upgrade to any GEN CFW prior to using this updater. You can go straight to GEN B-2 without any in between from M33 CFW.

You'll need: XGEN Updater V2.

Open up the zip file you just downloaded. Copy the UPDATER folder into your X:/PSP/GAME folder and the 550.pbp into your MS' root X:/.

You may want to use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher to back up your settings. It's not a necessary step.

Run the XGEN installer from your XMB and select Flash Install CFW 5.50 GEN-B2. This will install said cfw to your psp. You're done.

Additional info: GEN B-2 disables the VSH menu. If you want to use VSH menu you will have to reboot your PSP while holding the R button to get to the recovery menu and enable the VSH menu inside of the Recovery's plugin menu. To use ISO/CSO you'll also have to re-enable M33 drivers for your UMD. To get some PSX games to run you'll need to update popsloader with this.

Upgrade from 5.00 M33-6 to 5.50 GEN-D3
    There's no need to upgrade to any GEN CFW prior to using this updater. You can go straight to GEN-D3 without any in between from M33 CFW (Read: 4.01 M33 or later is required). If upgrading from a prior CFW, please refer to the Hack Your PSP Mega-Thread linked in the beginning of the tutorial.

You'll need: XGEN Updater V5.

Open up the zip file you just downloaded. Copy the UPDATE folder into your X:/PSP/GAME folder and the 550.pbp into your MS' root X:/.

You may want to use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher to back up your settings. It's not a necessary step.

Run the XGEN installer from your XMB and select Flash Install CFW 5.50 GEN-D3. This will install said cfw to your psp. You're done.
    To get some PSX games to run you'll need to update popsloader with this.
    By default GEN-D3 has the VSH menu enabled as well as the M33 ISO driver. Some games will need the NP9660 driver to run properly, while others operate better at M33.

Downgrading from 5.50 GEN to 5.00 M33-6

For whatever reason, you don't want to use 5.50 GEN-B2 (or more recent D(1-3)) and want to go back to M33 based cfw. It's as easy as using Hellcat's Recovery Flasher to flash it right back on your psp.

Just download Hellcat's Recovery Flasher if you don't already have it and copy the RECOVERY folder into your X:/PSP/GAME folder. You'll need the OFW update pbp of whichever version of M33 you wanted to downgrade to, in this case 5.00. You can get that at 500.pbp. Rename the 5.00 OFW update to 500.pbp and copy the file to your MS' root directory X:/.

Now you just run Hellcat's Recovery Flasher from your XMB, making sure that whichever fw version you wanted is selected at the top, then select Install CFW. HCRF should replace 5.50 GEN B-2 with M33 cfw. Just wait until the program tells you to press any button to shutdown. Press a button and power on your PSP. Congratulations, you're back on M33 cfw.

Creating a MMS that Installs 5.50 GEN-D3

Just in case you have some sort of PSP disaster, brick, or other severe problems that could be fixed with a Pandora battery and MMS. By default, most MMS programs install 5.00 M33-4, because they use the DC8 system. In the past few releases of GEN firmware, there is an option provided to modify existing Despertar del Cementerio v8 installations to install the more current GEN CFW.

Hint: This can be done before your 5.50 GEN-D3 installation while your are in the XGEN Updater V5 program, PROVIDED that you have previously installed DCv8 on the memory stick you are using.

In order to install Despertar del Cementerio v8, you'll need to download this file: "DCv8".

Copy the dc8 folder to ms0:/PSP/GAME. Run the Despertar del Cementerio v8 program from your XMB, and hit x to install when the program prompts you to do so. This does not copy information to your flash, however it does create a folder system like what exists in your flash0 for your firmware to run. This is so that when there is a Pandora battery inserted into the system after the memory stick is inserted and the L button held down, it will load a temporary mode that can install firmware to your flash.

After the installation is complete, you run the XGEN Updater v5 (refer to the first section for installation instructions) and select the Install XGEN PANDORA V5 option. This will modify the ressurection.prx in the DC8 installation on your memory stick so that it will install 5.50 GEN-D3. Congratulations, that was all you had to do. Now you have a MMS ready to reinstall 5.50 GEN-D3 in case of emergency.

Last edited by JaiaV; 02-25-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Updates, some small edits for readability

vinny13 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hey man thanks a lot... Been away from the scene for quite a while so this 5.50GEN-B2 stuff is news to me :S

Tony9318 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Help?

Ok, so I did all that you said, and I followed the directions in the READ ME file, but when I ran the recovery, there was a crtical error and my PSP wasn't returned to CFW 5.00 m33. Just so you know, I'm running 5.50 Gen-B on a PSP 1000.

Looking into that for you I'm afraid I don't have a phat psp to test it on so I'll check around to see if I can find an answer for you.

Hekter is offline -Hacks Newbie

JaiaV,
    I'm running CFW latest on a slim and wanted to know if I upgrade to gen b-2 will I still be able to play most ISO/CSO files without having to return to 5.00 m33-6

Thanks, Hekter

theEvilOne is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Hekter View Post
    JaiaV,
    I'm running CFW latest on a slim and wanted to know if I upgrade to gen b-2 will I still be able to play most ISO/CSO files without having to return to 5.00 m33-6

Thanks, Hekter
    Yes, as a matter of fact 5.50 GEN is the only custom firmware that can play all the newer games like GT/Dirt2/MUA2/Undead Knights.

As far as I know, 5.50 GEN B-2 is actually better for running ISO/CSO's of PSP games, especially in the fact that it runs 5.50+ games, even 5.55-6.00 games using the decrypter. 5.00 M33-6 is -slightly- more stable with most homebrew and runs most emulators better. GEN does not use a 1.50 kernel so you can't use most older homebrew with it.

Personally while I was running 5.50 GEN B-2 I didn't notice much of a difference, other than a few options in recovery weren't available, a few more options on the VSH menu. Then again, I don't have any games that require anything past 5.00 yet.

Hekter is offline -Hacks Newbie

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JaiaV View Post
    As far as I know, 5.50 GEN B-2 is actually better for running ISO/CSO's of PSP games, especially in the fact that it runs 5.50+ games, even 5.55-6.00 games using the decrypter. 5.00 M33-6 is -slightly- more stable with most homebrew and runs most emulators better. GEN does not use a 1.50 kernel so you can't use most older homebrew with it.

Personally while I was running 5.50 GEN B-2 I didn't notice much of a difference, other than a few options in recovery weren't available, a few more options on the VSH menu. Then again, I don't have any games that require anything past 5.00 yet.
    Jaia and Evil,
    Thanks for replying. I'm going to go ahead and upgrade due to my kid wanting to play motorstorm and GI Joe.

Hekter

Papadapolis is offline -Hacks Newbie

Ok so I'm a total newb but I followed the instructions I think properly. I was using M-33 5.0 and flashed over to Gen 5.5, however, now none of my psp games work (although my ripped psx games do) and when I hit select no menu comes up. Help?

When I try to boot up a psp iso I get the message "The game could not be started. (80020321)

theEvilOne is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Papadapolis View Post
    Ok so I'm a total newb but I followed the instructions I think properly. I was using M-33 5.0 and flashed over to Gen 5.5, however, now none of my psp games work (although my ripped psx games do) and when I hit select no menu comes up. Help?

When I try to boot up a psp iso I get the message "The game could not be started. (80020321)
    Go into Recovery Menu and enable the VSH Menu under configuration.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast