Thread: [HowTo] Create non-"USB Mode" USB charger cable

Joushou is offline -Hacks Newbie

Lightbulb [HowTo] Create non-"USB Mode" USB charger cable

Hi!

I believe everyone with a Go have been a little annoyed by the charging problems... Specifically having to be in USB Mode in order to charge from standard usb... I got quite sick of that, so i cut a very short USB extension cable to pieces so i could do some tests on how it recognizes the charger, and cut the end to fit into the PSP charger...

By following this guide, you accept that no matter what you do,
    it's your fault. Except if something good happens. Then you can praise me.
    Buuut, if you screw up, yeah, well, then you're screwed.

... But if you do what i told you to, there's not much that can go wrong... Except if you short everything, that is.

It's actually quite simple: The charger shorts D+ and D- at all times.

So, to make the adapter cable, you need to get a hold of some USB extension cable, slice it up somewhere, and cut the white and green wires (There's black, red, white and green usually... Black is minus, red plus and white/green are D-/+).

The wires going towards the male-connector has to be properly isolated from everything, one way or the other. I cut them in different lengths, and taped them together.

The green and white wire going towards the female connector has to be shorted, and also properly isolated. I just twisted them together and used electrical isolation tape here as well.

Leave the red and black wires, together with the shielding alone (Even though the shielding isn't needed here, but just leave it there anyway ).

Tape everything together, and you're done!

Remember that you should ONLY use this cable for the PSP Go... Using it for something else would result in the devices data-lines being shorted, and it might not appreciate that. It's only the PSP Go that specifically looks for the short-circuit, and changes modes based around that.

A few pics of the adapter/mod/cable thingie doing it's thing:

Hope this is of use to someone!

(... Now all there's left to get for it is homebrew... And maybe external UMD drive >:3 )

Last edited by Joushou; 02-08-2010 at 07:49 PM.

vPurpleHaze420v is offline -Hacks Newbie

I don't have a PsPGo but if i did this would be sick
    wish i could do this with my slim as i haven't got a charger for my slim and its annoying waiting for it to charge up to use it then put it back on charge :/

Sunnbuzz is offline -Hacks Newbie

Just my two cents because I fix laptops for a living (hardware) and know that most people are NOT mechanically challenged. Reading your tutorial for ME was straight forward and I understood it completely. However I think in order to make this a perfect tutorial you could take photos at; The cutting and splicing & taping parts of each action. Not too many people know how to create a short or how to isolate wires, photos will make a big difference. Some people do not know what shielding is especially if its made out of more wire.
    See where this & other electronic mods /creations maybe easy for me, I sometimes have trouble with the Hacks - we all have our strong and not so strong points !
    Other than that great tut, too bad I don't have a PSP GO -LOL

Joushou is offline -Hacks Newbie

Always good to get some feedback!

I know i lack pictures to describe the "hack", but that's because i was already done when i realized i should make a tut, and i didn't feel like doing it all over again! xD

I tried explaining it in the plainest English, but since i'm not exactly a native speaker, it might not be that easy to understand... :/

To vPurpleHaze420v:
    You can easily make a USB charger cable for your slim: Get a DC jack that fits in the charge connector, and connect it the red and black wires in the USB cable. Tutorial here.

junkie4444 is offline -Hacks Newbie

thnks a lot man, i realy needed this!!!!

clc3251 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Thanks a lot for figuring this out!

Thanks a lot for figuring this out. I was pissed when I bought the PSP Go and found out that you need their blocky charger to charge it. I bought it for travel and didn't want to carry a dedicated charger just for my PSP Go. Thanks to your instructions, I modified a spare sync cord for charging only when I travel. I didn't bother with a USB extension since I only need charging when I am on the road. I will use a regular cord for syncing at home. Now my Ipad/Iphone charger charges my PSP Go. I am down to one charging block now. Thanks again.

icecore is offline -Hacks Newbie

Thank you so much for this, I bought a portable charger but found out i can only charge when in usb mode, I ordered cables a few weeks back and haven't arrived yet and I have a cruise in a few days, so as a last ditch effort, I followed your instructions and it works flawlessly. Thanks again.

mishulong is offline -Hacks Newbie

Help! I tried it but didn't understand everything for example: The wires going towards the male-connector has to be properly isolated from everything, one way or the other. I cut them in different lengths, and taped them together.
    did you tape them isolated together or the wires ere connected? Same thing at the wires going toward the female connector. I don't know what I did wrong. Please reply. THX