Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to use your PSP as a remote control

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Post How to use your PSP as a remote control

Using iR Shell 5.0 you can use your PSP-1000 (phat) as a remote control. This will only work with a phat PSP because the other PSP's do not have an iR port. If you are having trouble getting iR Shell installed then check out this guide written by bestyugiman. Alright, let's get started.

You can download a package of remote control codes from the irshell website here. However my remote control wasn't in that package so I had to do something else. iR Shell has the ability to learn new iR codes. It's almost as simple as pointing your remote at the PSP and pressing a button. That is what my guide will be covering.

When you start up iR Shell you need to pick the 5th option on the top row to enter the iR Remote View. I put an orange circle on it just in case you get lost.

You are now at this screen:

Press Start and you will see a menu. Press O to create a new entry.

You will then be prompted to enter a name for it. If you've never used iR Shell to name something then it might take you a a minute or two to get use to it. You press the analog stick toward the group of letter you want to use then you press the button that corresponds to the letter you want. For example: push the analog stick up and to the left and press square for A, X for B, and O for C. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Once you do that you will be presented with a screen with nothing on it:

Press the button on your PSP that you wish to use for a button on your remote. We can't map all of the remote control's buttons to the PSP because the PSP doesn't actually have enough buttons but we can get the most important ones.
    I want to make X the power button for my TV. So I am going to press X on the PSP. That gave me this screen (my PSP wouldn't take a screenshot here so I used my camera):

At this point you just point your remote control at the PSP's iR port and hold down the button on your remote until you get the screen to name the button on the PSP.

As you can see from that image the iR port on the PSP is between the L button and the USB port on the top of the PSP. You have to program each button one at a time. The analog stick, dpad, /\, O, X, and [] can be used. The Left and Right shoulder buttons can be used as modifiers. Meaning you can have a remote control button mapped to R+O, L+O, and O. This will give you about 30 possible button combos if you use the L and R buttons.

Press Select to exit. When you press select you will want to press O to Save & Exit. When you want to use the remote just go back to this screen:

Press X on the one you want to use and you're ready to go.

You should also be able to create a 'universal' remote with this guide. Since your PSP has to 'learn' the ir code for each button then you could switch remotes and it would probably still think it was all coming from one remote. This would allow you to control your DVD player, VCR, stereo, satellite receiver, TV, and whatever else you have a remote for, all from one device.

If you are having trouble getting the PSP to recognize your remote control you can try changing the frequency on your PSP:
    Quote Originally Posted by -OuterHeaven- View Post
    If you have trouble programming certain remotes, you can try changing the frequency. On the screen that says "Learning Mode", press R trigger + Start, and try a different number. The most common frequencies are 36, 40, 44, and 56.
    Please leave a reply if you have any questions about anything I've covered in this tutorial. This is the first tutorial that I actually wrote myself so I may have missed something or I may not have explained something clearly. Constructive feedback is always welcome.
    Click on the scales () if my guide was helpful to you.

If you liked my theme you can get it from the themes pack here. BenK also has a great tutorial on how to make your own theme here.

Thanks to for hosting my images.
    Thanks to AhMan for creating such an awesome piece of homebrew.
    Thanks to -OuterHeaven- for providing the most common frequencies of remote controls.

You can download this tutorial and all of the images I used from the link below:
    [PSP-Remote_Control.zip - 9.477 MB] (The PDF file is out dated, if someone would like to update it to include the latest additions of this tutorial to it and re-upload I would be grateful.)

This guide is not allowed to be reposted on any other website without my permission.

Last edited by Organized_Chaos; 04-19-2010 at 02:12 PM.

Cheesetheif is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

Where were you when I had my 1k and IRshell?
    Great guide and good pics.

Un®est®i©ted™

Sorry Cheesetheif I had no idea.

And I tried to make the pictures from my camera better quality but they became to large to upload to imageshack.
    Last edited by Organized_Chaos; 02-15-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Organized_Chaos View Post
    Sorry Cheesetheif I had no idea.

And I tried to make the pictures from my camera better quality but they became to large to upload to imageshack.
    You could have used Irfranview to batch resize them to an acceptable size.

Nice tutorial guide. Would have been great if it was done back in the earlier days.

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

From what I understand though is iR Shell only got the ability to 'learn' new iR Codes in the 4.7 version. Right now the latest version is 5.0. I'm not sure when 4.7 was released though.. It couldn't have been too long ago, could it?

fearless1964 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

nice guide.....very helpful!
    PSP(1001):PANDORA->5.00 M33-6 w/ 1.50 Add-On
    PSP(2001)TA-085v2:PANDORA->5.50 GEN-D3

alex2009 is offline -Hacks Smarty

great guide especially with the pictures, I loved messing about with it, it works better than my actual remote it changes the channels so much quicker!

Shadow.Blob is offline -Hacks Neophyte

great guide! But on a slim where is the ir port?

BeAkErOo is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

it's right next to the hidden bluetooth button on the back
    3DS: 4167-4567-3684

chiruscan is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow.Blob View Post
    great guide! But on a slim where is the ir port?
    Underneath the UMD spindle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast