Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Troubleshooting your PSP with XGEN Pandora v5 and PSP Tool

Secret Dragoon is offline -Hacks Ninja

Default [Guide] Troubleshooting your PSP with XGEN Pandora v5 and PSP Tool

Preface

Have you ever had a problem with your PSP where you would result in random freezing? Bricking? Overall slowness? Well this could be caused by past firmwares clogging up the PSP's flash memory. Hopefully I can provide you with some general strategies to "fix" your PSP up if it's not working 100%.

Who am I to say that I know what I'm talking about though? Well I'm really a nobody but in the scene but I Have 2 years of experience hacking my own and others PSPs. I've only ever once unintentionally bricked my PSP, and even fixed that when nobody I knew could. Lots of people on this site and off have thanked me for my information on general troubleshooting so I figure I might as well make this guide now.

As a note I'm not saying that these methods will work %100 but if you follow my advice and if you should ever result in a brick by other means you should be able to get out of it without much harm. Things can over time damage the internal memory of the PSP so please be careful as a PSP user.

The following guide will cover these topics:

- General Requirements to follow my guide
    - The Benefits of what I am teaching you
    - General use of the XGen Pandora (version 5 at the moment)
    - General use of PSP Tool 1.0 for anything not done by XGen Pandora or the Recovery Menu
    - How to use 5.00 M33-4 and 5.50 GEN-D3 at the same time.
    - Any other tips and secret gems I may know that others may not.

Requirements

- An already modded (non-HEN) PSP. This is NOT a modding guide.
    - PREFERABLY Any 1000 motherboard or the TA-085 v1 Motherboard for slims. (other Hackable Slim Mobos can work but you can't Soft Mod Pandora freely)
    - XGEN Pandora v5 and PSP Tool 1.00 (Link by me)
    - 500.pbp and 550.pbp (Link by me)
    - Common Sense.

Knowing what I have provided

PSP Tool v1.0 - Your every day all purpose troubleshooting tool. It can create Pandoras (TA-086 and below excluding TA-085v2), MMS, Inject IPLs and give all of the information you'll ever need. Sure the recovery menu can do some of these things but It's always nice to have a spare tire in the back. Note: The File Provided is in the recovery folder so that it can be run from the recovery menu. If you don't want it like that by all means, use Hellcat's instead.

GEN Updater for 5.50 GEN-D3 - Allows you to install X-GEN Pandora v5 your bread and butter for saving your ass in case of a brick or if you ever want to run 5.00 M33-6 on the fly. Can Also Flash 5.50 GEN-D3, 5.50 OFW and any other Sony OFW (obviously if your PSP can run it first. Don't go flashing anything below 3.60 on a Slim!)

XGEN Pandora v5 - The real recovery menu of a PSP lies within the MMS. Has Nand Operations, Flashes 2 different Firmwares and allows you to backtrack to 5.00 M33-4 until you hard shutdown your PSP. A life saver in all accounts.

500.pbp and 550.pbp - You need these to make the Magic Memory Stick used in my guide. ALWAYS useful to have them if you are messing around with your PSP.

Using XGEN Pandora v5

Installation

To install XGEN Pandora v5 you need to do a couple long and complicated steps between the two programs I have provided. This is the hardest part of the guide but once you do it you shouldn't have any issues until you physically format your Memory Stick.

1. Make sure you have 500.pbp and 550.pbp at the root of your Memory Stick
    2. Run PSP Tool 1.00 and select "Memory Stick Options" followed by "Create Magic Memory Stick" and Despertar del Cementerio v8 (5.00 M33-4)". This will install DCv8 on your Memory Stick in the TM folder. NEVER delete this.

3. Inject the Time Machine IPL. Select Yes. It will ask you to hold a button to use when you boot. For the consistency of the guide I suggest you use L. After you get a "Magic Memory Stick has been created" message you're done with PSP Tool for now.

4. Run the GEN-D3 updater. From there you can select "Install XGEN PANDORA V5" from the menu. This will modify DCv8 into XGEN Pandora v5.

After this, you need a Pandora to access it. I'd suggest you just always keep your standard Sony battery in a "Soft Modded" state at all times. Soft Modded pandoras act just like normal batteries but are pandoras if you take them out and put them back in. Until you hard shut down you'll be in service mode.

After XGEN Pandora is installed. To access it, simply put in (or take out / put in if you're like me) the battery while holding L. The menu should pop up.

Description of the Programs options:
    Flash Install CFW 5.00 GEN-D3 - Flash Installs 5.50 GEN-D3
    Flash Install OFW 5.50 - Flash Installs 5.50
    TEST DC8 M33 - Allow you to use 5.00 M33-4 for the Current Boot of the PSP.
    Hardware Info - Gives you some pretty unimprtant info about your PSP. PSP Tool does a better job.
    NAND Operations - Important Information concerning the NAND of your PSP. More detail in the next section.
    Shutdown - Hard Shuts down the PSP
    Reboot Device - Hard Shuts down and Reboots the PSP

Hopefully if you are reading this most of the options are known to you through experience. I'm not going to go in depth with anything other than NAND Operations which have saved peoples asses more times than you think.

NAND Operations

We've got quite a few options here. I'd suggest you avoid Dump NAND and Restore NAND like a bat out of hell. I will not go into detail about these here. Please just don't use them.

Format Lflash basically "repartitions" your NAND. Not really the right way of saying it but this is one of the best options of saving your PSP. If you can't seem to fix it I'd suggest you use this option and then flash your Firmware.

ID Storage Tools, fix your region or MAC Address. If you for some reason are having Internet problems with your PSP or something go here.

Using PSP Tool v1.00

My favorite homebrew right here. I think it kicks Hellcat's ass into next Tuesday myself.
    You have EVERYTHING you will ever need here. And things you won't. Here's the rundown.

USB Connection - Connects to any part of your Flash, your Memory Stick or your UMD. No need of going through the Recovery Menu.
    Memory Stick Options - Creates an MMS, Checks for an IPL and Injects IPLs. More into this later
    Battery Options - Change your Battery from Normal to Service Mode (Pandora) on the fly. Gen-D3 has this option in the recovery menu however this is still handy.
    IdStorage Options - Basically what the IdStorage Tools were for the MMS. However it only allows you to backup / restore.
    About - Detailed Information about your PSP. The best way to see your Installed Firmware, Original FW Battery life, ect. Also a nice bit of Credits.

Memory Stick Options

This part of the program is so big it needs its own section.

Inject IPL to Memory Stick - Injects an IPL if you haven't already done so. I wouldn't touch it if you don't know what you're doing. Note that Time Machine IPLs only work with this guide.
    Erase IPL from Memory Stick - Removes the IPL that you have on your Memory Stick.
    Check Memory Stick Information - Checks if you have an Injected IPL. There are other options but they're not really important in the context of this guide.
    Extract Memory Stick Data - Backs up the IPL onto the Memory Stick
    Format Memory Stick - Formats the Memory Stick (Not Recommended)
    Create Magic Memory Stick - Creates every MMS from the 1.50 one to DCv8. You can't have both DCv8 and XGEN PANDORA installed on the same stick.

TEST M33

You want to use 5.00 M33 AND 5.50 GEN at the same time? Well as long as you have a Pandora and MMS you can. As stated earlier there's a TEST M33 option. If you select this (Or Alternatively Put in a Pandora while holding L+R to boot the M33 Recov Menu) you can use 5.00 M33-4 for a single Boot! Please note that you CANNOT use the 1.50 Kernel or System update without having problems. However you CAN install LEDA (Download) WHILE IN TEST M33 MODE to be able to run some 1.50 and 1.00 Homebrew.

Actually using this info to help you!

So you want to know how to use this information? You were told you could fix your PSP's lagg with my guide. Well without further a do I'll give you the finer points of my guide if you haven't picked them up.

To fix the PSP Randomly Freezing, lagging, having games not work, ect do the following steps.

1. Boot into XGEN Pandora v5
    2. Format Lflash
    3. Install 5.50 GEN-D3

Optionally if you're having issues:

4. Fix the IDStorage

This nine times out of 10 will fix your issues. I could have just pointed this out in the beginning however it is important you understand the many options of the two programs I have given you to use. Hopefully this far you've learned enough to never have any problems with the PSP you can't fix again.

But there's got to be more you can tell me!

Well if you have any more questions, or if I hear anymore bits of info that may be important to PSP Troubleshooting I'll post them in this topic.

FAQ

Q: Can I use multiple Memory Sticks with this?
    A: You need a PSP with an injected IPL or an AC Adapter to boot normally from a Pandora. The best workaround would be to Inject IPLs to every one of your Memory Sticks.

Q: Help, I get a back screen when I boot. The recovery menu does not work.
    A: You either have a. A brick or b. Did not understand what I meant in the previous question. You shouldn't Brick at all with this tutorial, so try and see if you can Power on your PSP with JUST your AC Adapter (No battery in). If that fixes your Problem you need to inject an IPL into your Memory Stick or turn your Battery into a normal one (and render this tutorial all but useless)

Last edited by BCman; 05-30-2010 at 04:22 AM.

Ninja88 is offline -Hacks Guru

Good stuff. +rep

iamafreak is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Nice and elaborate... +rep

Also, as a note: I was fiddling around with TEST M33 last night and found that you may be able to enable 1.50 Homebrew with it. I was able to modify flash1 data in DCv8 TM which Allowed me to transfer the PSN Info from a Test m33 to GEN-D3 so I don't doubt I can get LEDA at least working (I don't have a phat so I can't use 1.5 Kernel regardless)

psychobadger is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

I managed to get LEDA working put these in your dc8/kd folder (only for slim)
    bbtgp made this custom IPL to boot 6.20 on a slim using a pandora battery
    I've got the fatms mod for it too

Quote Originally Posted by psychobadger View Post
    I managed to get LEDA working put these in your dc8/kd folder (only for slim)
    bbtgp made this custom IPL to boot 6.20 on a slim using a pandora battery
    I've got the fatms mod for it too
    I just found out about that actually. Gotta Love Time Machine's Functionality. Are you sure it's only for Slims though? Did you test on something else?

Not willing to test the second link at this moment =S

psychobadger is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

Ya but this should work on a fat.. haven't tested it though
    i'd like to see if I can get the 1.5 kernel working still if someone would send me a flash dump of 5.00m33-4 with the add on i'll see if i can do it, it might be fairly similar to the LEDA thing

edit I didn't test it but I know it wouldn't have worked

Skorpian is offline -Hacks Guru

Nice Guide +rep
    Note : All my guides are outdated.

Cheesetheif is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

Great guide. +rep.

However, one thing, the TA-086 motherboard is a PSP 1000 motherboard and is able to create pandoras. So really only motherboards below that one can and none above.

Un®est®i©ted™

Modified it from "TA-085v1 and below" to "TA-086 and below except for TA-085v2" because I totally did not know that the TA-086 was a Phat.

Also changed of to or. Goddamn spelling mirite?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast