Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to upgrade from CFW to OFW

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Default How to upgrade from CFW to OFW

How to put Official Firmware on a PSP using Custom Firmware

This tutorial is going to explain how to upgrade a PSP that is using custom firmware to official firmware. I feel like this is needed so when someone searches Google or PSP-Hacks they will be directed to this page instead of posting in the Help section asking about it.

The latest Official Firmware is 6.31. You can download it here for PSP 1000, 2000, and 3000 and here for PSP Go.

/* Please be aware that if you upgrade to Official Firmware higher than 5.03 you will only be able to use a Pandora Battery and MMS to install custom firmware again. Pandora + MMS does not work on PSP 3000 or PSP 2000 with TA-088v3 motherboards. To see which model your PSP is you will need to look at the sticker on the bottom of the PSP (there's a barcode) or on the sticker under your battery */

The methods for updating to Official Firmware will vary depending on which Custom Firmware you're using. I do not know the specifics but certain older Custom Firmwares will give you an error such as "DADADADA" when you try to upgrade. 5.50 GEN-D3 will tell you that you already have a 9.xx firmware.

For any custom firmware lower than 4.01 M33 (4.01 M33 and higher has an easier way than this):

So the first thing you need to try is just getting the update file for the official firmware and running it from the PSP. If that does not work then you need to use Hellcat's Recovery Flasher to upgrade to 5.00 M33. To use the Recovery Flasher you need to download the 5.00 Official Firmware Update file and rename it to 500.pbp and place it in the root of your memory stick. Once on 5.00 M33 you will definately be able to upgrade the PSP to official firmware.

If you are using a CFW lower than 3.xx then you will need to extract the files from the FW1.50 Folder that is found in the Recovery Flasher archive to your \PSP\GAME\ folder (check the Recovery Menu and make sure the kernel mode is set to 1.50 if you use the 150 version). If you are using any other (newer) firmware then you just need to copy the RECOVERY folder to your \PSP\GAME\ folder. It must be named RECOVERY or else it will not load.

Start the Recovery Flasher App from the XMB (the normal way you would launch an app) and pick the option to install 5.00 M33. DO NOT USE THIS TOOL WITH AN UNHACKABLE PSP USING TEMPORARY FIRMWARE (USUALLY ANY FIRMWARE THAT IS 5.03!

Now that you are on 5.00 M33 you are ready to flash Official Firmware to the PSP. Download the firmware update from PSP-Hacks.com and place it in a folder called UPDATE in your PSP\GAME\ folder. You can now launch the update from the PSP just like you would normally launch homebrew games and apps or PSN Demos. If you plan on selling your PSP I recommend putting 5.03 OFW on it just in case the person you sell it to decides to hack it. If you bought a PSP for yourself and it already had custom firmware on it, and you don't want it, then you can grab the latest Official Firmware (6.20) here.

4.01 M33 or higher users

All you need to do to get Official Firmware on a PSP using 4.01 M33 is to launch the XGEN CFW upgrader and select the option to flash install any OFW. You need to be sure you have the official update file of the OFW you want to install on the root of your memory stick renamed as "EBOOT.PBP" (without the quotes of course) and then select the option in the GEN updater. Simple as that. If having it as eboot.pbp doesn't work then rename it to 550.pbp (or whatever version it is). I would not recommend using this method to upgrade to a 6.xx FW. Instead, flash 5.50 OFW using the option specifically for that, then use the PSP's Network Update to go to the latest OFW. Or download the latest update and do it manually.

5.03 GEN-A/B/C and any version of CFW Enabler

Once you do this you will not be able to use custom firmware on your PSP. You will not be able to downgrade to 5.03 either.
    1. Turn off the PSP completely by holding the power button up for about 5 seconds
    2. Remove the battery from the back of the PSP (This step is to just make sure that the PSP is 100% off. Once it's off it has reverted back to OFW)
    3. Insert the battery back again
    4. Turn on the PSP
    5. Connect the PSP via USB/Card Reader
    6. Download the OFW you want to upgrade to and put the "EBOOT.PBP" of the OFW in ms0:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE
    7. Run the update and done. Simple as that

If you get some error codes when trying to upgrade, look at this: http://forums.qj.net/psp-firmware-di...fb9-other.html

I have provided enough information here for users to accomplish the task of upgrading to OFW but if any member has any more detailed information on the matter feel free to post it here in a reply or PM it to me and I'll add it to this tutorial and give credit to you.

Thanks to Skorpian for providing details on 5.50 GEN-D3 and the temporary firmwares!

Last edited by Organized_Chaos; 12-09-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Skorpian is offline -Hacks Guru

Look, you need some modifications on the part of 5.50 GEN-D3 for easier usage ( a one step directly to the desired OFW )
    "All you need to do to get Official Firmware on a PSP using 5.50 GEN-D3 is to launch the CFW upgrader and select the option to flash install any OFW. You need to be sure you have the official update file of the OFW you want to install on the root of your memory stick renamed as "EBOOT.PBP" (without the quotes of course) and then select the option in the GEN updater. Simple as that."

It's yours but a little modified

Oh and also here's a part for unhackable PSP's so that newbies don't destroy their unhackable PSP's by using HRF

"This tutorial is for 5.03 GEN-A/B/C and any version of CFW Enabler

1-Turn off the PSP completely by holding the power button up for about 5 seconds

2-Remove the battery from the back of the PSP

3-Insert the battery back again

4-Turn on the PSP

5-Connect the PSP via USB/Card Reader

6-Download the OFW you want to upgrade to and put the "EBOOT.PBP" of the OFW in ms0:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE

7-Run the update and done. Simple as that"

There you go
    Note : All my guides are outdated.

Ninja88 is offline -Hacks Guru

I think you should remove the part for temporary custom firmware.No point telling people to update to latest ofw and have them realize they cant get back to cfw.

iamafreak is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

yup..agree with Ninja88...

He already stated that people with unhackable PSPS can't go back to CFW if they upgrade past 5.03 OFW.

Argeoff is offline -Hacks Ninja

Wait i thought u don't have to be on 5.50 GEN-D3, to use its updater to upgrade to 5.50 OFW ?
    Proud Owner : PSP 2000, Fully hackable mobo, 5.50 GEN-D2, 5.50 GEN-D3
    Fan Of One Piece, Chopper !!!

What do you mean Argeoff?

Chaos seem to be saying, your psp have to be on 5.50 GEN-D3, in order to use its updater to go to 5.50 OFW.
    Can't psp be on other CFW versions and use the 5.50 GEN-D3 updater ?

Yeah but does 5.50 GEN-D3 update run on CFW's lower than 4.01 M33? I heard it freezes

But lots of other versions works fine with the 5.50 GEN-D3 updater ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast