Thread: Making a Magic Memory Stick with Hellcat's Recovery Flasher

alec100 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Making a Magic Memory Stick with Hellcat's Recovery Flasher

I am new to these forums so Hi. I have not been able to find a full tutorial on how to do this anywhere so I will now write one.

FAQ

Q. What is Hellcats Recovery Flasher
    A. Hellcats Recovery Flasher allows you to completely reflash your psp

Q. How do I know what PSP model I have
    A. It will say on the barcode on the bottom of your psp.

Q. What does that mean
    A. It means you can install a variety of CFW's no matter what FW your on

Q. Why is this better than DDC
    A. As it gives you a choice to Install several different (C)FWs

Q. What (C)FWs can be installed from Hellcats Recovery Flasher
    A. 1.50 OFW (PSP-1XXX Only)
    3.71 M33-5
    3.80 M33-5
    3.90 M33-3
    4.01 M33-2
    5.00 M33-6
    5.50 GEN-D3 (With Firmware Pack)

Q. Can This Fix a Bricked PSP
    A. Yes it can as it completely re-writes the flash

Q. Can I load other psp eboots through this app
    A. Yes

Requirements

A PSP 1XXX Series or PSP 2XXX Series (No TA-088 v3 Motherboard)

A Computer With XP, Vista, 7 (older versions of Windows may also work) & obviously an Internet Connection

A PSP Memory Stick Smaller than 4GB, but more than 64MB (200MB is required to store all file.) (Cards over 4GB may also work)

A way of connecting your PSP memory stick to the Computer (Through XMB or using Card Reader)

A Pandora Battery (You can also launch from XMB on 1.5/CFW)

Required Files

Official Eboots for desirerd Firmware(s)
    5.00 << Mandatory

Rain's UltraLite MMS Maker for 5.00 M33-4

Hellcat's Recovery Flasher 1.60
    Recovery Flasher 5.50 GEN-D3 Firmware pack (Only To Install 5.50 GEN-D3)

Method

NB MS0 refers to the root of the Memory stick

Rename all eboots you are using from eboot.pbp to XXX.pbp
    eg 1.50 would be 150.pbp
    4.01 would be 401.pbp
    5.00 would be 500.pbp
    5.50 would be 550.pbp
    etc.

Extract Rain's UltraLite MMS Maker for 5.00 M33-4.
    Make sure 500.pbp is in the same directory as Rain's UltraLite MMS Maker (RainsUltraLite MSS.exe). Open Rains UltraLite MMS Maker. I advise you also choose Format Memory Stick.
    And if you want to back up the contents of it also choose teh bcakup option. Choose your psp's drives and press Make MMS. Wait for it to finish.
    the computer.

open up your psp memory stick on your PC and Go to MS0\TM. If you want to change the default Pandora boot key (LTrigger) then open config.txt with notepad. You will get the following

Code:
    L = "/TM/DC8/ipl.bin";
    To change it replace the L with the following

Cross
    Square
    Triangle
    Circle
    Up
    Down
    Left
    Right

RTrigger cannot be used as a boot key as it is the Recovery menu key.

Now extract Hellcat's Recovery Flasher 1.6, go into the pandora folder and copy resurrection.prx from there to MS0\TM\DC8\KD overwriting the original.
    make a new text document in this folder and call it ddc.prx it is important you change the extension. Now copy the Recovery folder from the archive to MS0\PSP\Game.
    If you are running 1.5-3.52M33 and plan to run recovery flasher from the XMB you should also copy the contents of the FW1.50 folder to MS0\PSP\Game on 1.5 or MS0\PSP\Game150 on CFW.

Now copy your desired Firmware(s) to the Root of the Memory Stick. If you want to install 5.00GEN-D3 then you must also extract 5.50GEN-D3 Firmware pack to the root (or at least the file equating to your psp model 1XXX/2XXX)
    as well as the eboot. You may delete 500.pbp if you don't want to Install 5.00M33. Now you can remove the memory stick and put it in the PSP.

Booting up Other Apps
    Put all other psp apps/homebrew in MS0\PSP\GAME In there original folder. 1.5 based Homebrew will not work unless you are running a 1.5 based firmware (ie 1.5-3.52)

Usage

Make sure the memory stick we made is in the PSP and then put your Pandora Battery in, Holding the chosen Boot key (Default LTrigger).
    Hold it until you see loading in small white writing on the upper left corner of the screen. Now choose "I AGREE, - Take me to the Program" or "I AGREE, - Don't Show This Again"
    Now you can do several things.

Press X (on top option) to cycle through Firmwares (5.00,3.71,3.80,etc.) If you wish to install 5.50 choose "load from external FW Pack". To Install the selected firmware press X on
    "Install CFW (Of version selected above)". To Install 1.5 of a FAT Press X on "Install fresh OFW 1.50". If you chose the external FW Pack option then you need to choose between
    PSP FAT or PSP Slim. Chose PSP2000_550-GEN-D3.rfp for Slim and PSP1000_550-GEN-D3.rfp for FAT.

"Flash Restore complete FW from backup". This lets you install any Firmware that has been backed up in pbp format on the root of the memstick. After Selecting it you need to choose the
    Firmware you want to install and press X to confirm.

"Launch Another App from /PSP/GAME". This lets you launch any psp apps or homebrew that have been put in the psp game folder. After Seleting it choose the directory of the App/Homebrew
    you wish to launch.

"Make a NAND dump" will backup your internal flash memory this is advised for safety reasons if you plan to re-flash your psp.

"Make the battery a PANDORA one" will put a normal battery into service mode, If the battery is already a Pandora it will make it will change and make the Battery Normal Again
    However I have not been given the option to change my Pandora Battery into a Normal Battery, But I have been able to change my Normal one into a Pandora and back again, so I would
    appreciate it if someone could tell me why I cannot convert my PANDORA to a normal one (even know I don't really want to) for my benefit and everyone else reading this tutorial.
    However there are many PSP apps out there that are dedicated to converting batteries to and from Pandora so I advise one of them.

"Go to Original DDC menu, or Boot FW". This will give you two options the first will not work correctly as we are not using DDC the other will boot your PSP up with the currently
    installed Firmware.

There are more options from the XMB but as this primarily a Pandora Tutorial I will not go through them all. Remember to launch the 1.5 version of Recovery Flasher from the XMB when
    using older firmware's, and also note you cannot launch this from the XMB using an OFW above 1.5

Last edited by alec100; 07-27-2010 at 06:47 AM.

pspgame is offline -Hacks Newbie

Thanks very helpful for my

Modacke is offline -Hacks Newbie

I have a question why does the memory card have to be smaller then 4 gigs? I have an 8 gig would that work?

iamafreak is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Modacke View Post
    I have a question why does the memory card have to be smaller then 4 gigs? I have an 8 gig would that work?
    You can try..There is no harm in trying.

Skorpian is offline -Hacks Guru

I have an 8 GB magic memory stick and it's working so cool but I had to MSPFormat it first because it was a fake card
    Note : All my guides are outdated.

alec100 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Well that sounds interesting I will edit the first post and say that larger cards also work. I read somewhere that cards >4GB didn't work I must confess i had not tried with a card over 4GB.

ASCiiDiTY is offline -Hacks Veteran

Great tutorial. Thanks

stOneskull is offline -Hacks Newbie

thank you very much for this.

i already have 5.00m33-6 cfw on and working, but i got it with the psp i bought second hand and would like to try this myself for knowledge/curiosity.

is this still the best magic memory stick maker?
    it is the most up-to-date? never updated to m33-6?

cheers.

Neon Knight is offline -Hacks Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stOneskull View Post
    is this still the best magic memory stick maker?
    I think yes, PSP Grader v008 is also a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by stOneskull View Post
    it is the most up-to-date? never updated to m33-6?
    cheers.
    Yes, it's the latest one.
    You can mod your Magic Memory Stick to install 5.50 GEN-D following this guide:
    http://forums.psp-hacks.com/f133/vid...0-gen-t251206/

stOneskull is offline -Hacks Newbie

thanks very much for the help, neon knight.
    and i just read someone else on another place recommend psp grader v008 as well.

it's good to have up-to-date info.

i'll try 5.50 gen and see if i like it more than 5.00 m33..
    might even try neur0n's new 6.35 cfw to check it out..
    that's looking better and better..

also there is a new version of hellcat recovery flasher as well.. v1.65
    http://www.psp-hacks.com/2011/01/18/...1-65-released/

cheers!