Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Tutorial] Troubleshooting Pandora battery and MMS

pikachewee is offline -Hacks Veteran

Thumbs up [Tutorial] Troubleshooting Pandora battery and MMS

WARNING: Please attempt this tutorial at your own risks. This tutorial is ONLY FOR PSP 100X and PSP 200X models. For more information on your particular PSP model, please do research if anything in this thread doesn't make sense to you before continuing.

If you are reading this tutorial, your PSP 100X or PSP 200X is probably over version 5.03 Official Sony Firmware (OFW) or your PSP was bricked. Then your only option is to use Pandora battery and Magic Memory Stick (MMS). Using Pandora battery and MMS can perform multiple tasks: unbricking a bricked PSP, installing Custom Firmware (CFW), and/or determining if your PSP 200X is capable of having a fully hackable motherboard (non TA-088v3 motherboard).

Requirements: (As seen from picture above)
    -PSP 100X or PSP 200X
    -Pro Duo Memory Stick (512MB-2GB works best)
    -Pandora battery (specific for your PSP model)
    -Windows XP operating system (if necessary)

Lately, I've been asked a lot questions and seen multiple threads from new users asking "I have Pandora battery and MMS, but it's not working?" Then you've come to the right tutorial. In this tutorial, I'll explain and show you how to troubleshoot your Pandora battery and/or MMS if it is not functioning properly as they should.

Let’s first start with the Pandora battery. A Pandora battery is the easiest to troubleshoot and is a good first step in eliminating any faulty possibilities of a Pandora battery and/or MMS. Whether you softmoded, hardmoded or purchased your Pandora battery online, they should all functions the same way.

Spoiler for TROUBLESHOOTING PANDORA BATTERY:

1) Removed the Memory Stick from the PSP.
    2) Unplugged the wall outlet/charger from the PSP.
    3) Inserts the Pandora battery into the PSP.

When inserted a Pandora battery into the PSP (without pushing or holding any buttons), you should see the power indicator light at the bottom right hand automatically turn on solid GREEN. Your PSP screen should then be blank/black, and your PSP should not boot into your XMB at all. See video below.

+ —Hacks YouTube Video Player
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

If the GREEN power indicator light doesn't automatically turn on, then your battery is NOT a Pandora battery. If you softmoded, rechecked if the PSP (already has CFW installed) used for softmoding has Pandora softmod capability. If you hardmoded, rechecked whether you've done it correctly and visually inspect the battery for other damages. An official Sony battery works best for hardmoding (as a 3rd party aftermarket battery may not work at all). If you purchased online, then most likely you will need to exchange or purchase another Pandora battery for your specific PSP model.

There are a few methods and programs that can create a MMS. Whichever the case may be, they all functions the same. Creating a MMS will turn a Pro Duo Memory Stick into a MMS. A MMS will be loaded with 5.00 M33-4 CFW as a default. There are two important factors in having a properly made MMS: Time Machine IPL, and 5.00 M33-4 CFW files (which are copied into the root directory of your MMS located in the TM folder). Majority of the MMS problems I've seen people (including myself) have run into is injecting the Time Machine IPL to the MMS. I recommend using a 512MB-2GB Memory Stick for the best result in creating a successful MMS. Also, it is suggested to use a MagicGate supported Pro Duo Memory Stick to create a MMS. However, I've used a 3rd party Pro Duo Memory Stick and it worked just fine. But I can guarantee it will work for you as well. Each Pro Duo Memory Stick is different from each other’s, and has their own characteristics. To see if your Pro Duo Memory Stick is MagicGate supported, select "Memory Stick" on your PSP XMB under PHOTO, MUSIC, VIDEO, or GAME section. Press "Triangle" button to view the "Information" and then press "X" button to view. If your Pro Duo Memory Stick is MagicGate supported, then your PSP screen should look similar to the picture shown below.

Spoiler for TROUBLESHOOTING AND CREATING A MMS:

Download Rain's UltraLite MMS Maker for 5.00 M33-4 (500.PBP included)
    Code:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WGDGG0KM

Password: pikachewee

Mirror:
    Download Rain's UltraLite MMS Maker for 5.00 M33-4
    Download 5.00 OFW

Download Rain's UltraLite MMS Maker for 5.00 M33-4 and 5.00 OFW from either links (see top), if you haven't done so. Rename 5.00 OFW EBOOT.PBP to 500.PBP, and copy 500.PBP (if downloading from mirror links) into Rain's UltraLite MMS Maker for 5.00 M33-4 folder.

1) Run Rain’s UltraLite MMS Maker.
    2) Connect your PSP via USB (it should automatically detects the PSP drive).
    3) Click "Inject TM IPL Only" button, and view the message from the Rain's MMS Maker program. If you get a message (see below), do as the message suggested and select “Format Memory Stick (Recommended)” and press “Inject TM IPL Only” button to retry again.

If Time Machine IPL was injected successful, then click “Make MMS” button. Wait until Rain’s MMS Maker finished copying all the 5.00 M33-4 files to your MMS. Then disconnect your PSP via USB, and go to procedure “USING PANDORA BATTERY AND MMS” of this tutorial.

If you get the same message (see above) again stating your Time Machine (TM) IPL failed the second time, then download Rain’s IPL & Memory Stick Tool v2.0 from the link below. However, to use Rain's IPL & Memory Stick Tool v2.0 you MUST have Windows XP/2000 operating system on your computer. I've tested on Windows XP, and confirmed that it works.

Download Rain’s IPL & Memory Stick Tool v2.0

1) Run Rain's IPL & Memory Stick Tool v2.0
    2) Connect your PSP via USB (it should automatically detects the PSP drive).
    3) See picture above to set all settings for Rain's IPL & Memory Stick Tool v2.0 just like shown in the picture.
    4) Click "Execute Selected".

Observe the message in the box on the left of Rain's IPL & Memory Stick Tool v2.0 highlighted in the RED circle. If message "IPL successfully written to MS", then it means that Time Machine has been injected. You can then run Rain's MMS Maker and click "Make MMS" to copy 5.00 M33-4 files to your MMS. Then disconnect your PSP via USB and go to procedure "USING PANDORA BATTERY AND MMS" of this tutorial.

If Time Machine (TM) IPL failed to inject. You can retry it again a few more times by clicking "Execute Selected". If all tries failed, then you might want to try a different Pro Duo Memory Stick, and/or try it on another different Windows XP/2000 operating system computer.

Assuming, you have followed through the entire tutorial and is confident that your Pandora battery and MMS are both properly functional as they should. For the PSP to boot into CFW installer screen, there are steps that you must be taken in the correct order. DO NOT jump steps, or it will not work.

Spoiler for ”USING PANDORA BATTERY AND MMS”:

1) Take out your Pandora battery and MMS from your PSP (if haven't done so).
    2) Inserts your MMS into your PSP.
    3) Hold down "L" trigger button (usually "L" trigger button set as default)
    4) Inserts the Pandora battery into the PSP.
    5) Keeping holding the "L" trigger button until the CFW installer screen appears (usually takes about 5-6 seconds). See video below.

+ —Hacks YouTube Video Player
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Once the CFW installer screen appears on your PSP, follow the prompted installation procedures on your PSP screen to install 5.00 M33-4 CFW. Good luck!

If you are 100% positive that your Pandora battery and MMS are properly functional, but the CFW installer screen did NOT appear. Then there's a possibility that your PSP (applies to PSP 200X only, NOT PSP 100X) is NOT hackable and may have a TA-088v3 motherboard. Sorry!

NOTE: Please keep the unrelated Pandora battery and MMS questions away from this thread. If you used other methods or programs to create your MMS, please research your problems and solutions elsewhere instead of asking in this thread. Thank you!

Last edited by pikachewee; 01-07-2011 at 05:01 AM.

Default Making 5.00 M33-4 or 5.50 GEN-D3 MMS using a hacked PSP, the easy way.

ATTENTION: This tutorial is ONLY for a PSP that already has Custom Firmware (CFW) installed.

This tutorial is for making a Magic Memory Stick (MMS) for 5.00 M33-4 or 5.50 GEN-D3 CFW. However, to create a 5.50 GEN-D3 MMS, you must first create a MMS with 5.00 M33-4 CFW, and then patch it with 5.50 GEN-D3 CFW. With the use of a Pandora battery and MMS, you can install a CFW straight onto a PSP, and/or unbrick any PSP 100X or PSP 200X models (non TA-088v3 motherboard).

Requirements:
    -PSP (with CFW already installed)
    -Pro Duo Memory Stick (512MB or larger)

Before we start, if you have any files on your Pro Duo Memory Stick, I recommend you to back them up onto your computer. Then reformat your Pro Duo Memory Stick using the PSP itself to eliminate any failure possibilities during this process.

Spoiler for MAKING 5.00 M33-4 or 5.50 GEN-D3 MMS:

First, you'll need to download these files.

Download PSP Tool v1.00
    Download 5.00 Official Sony Firmware (OFW)
    Download 5.50 GEN-D3 installer
    Download 5.50 Official Sony Firmware (OFW)

Extract all downloaded files onto your computer. Go into 5.00 OFW folder, and rename the 5.00 OFW EBOOT.PBP to 500.PBP. Go into 5.50 OFW folder, and rename the 5.50 OFW EBOOT.PBP to 550.PBP. Then connect your PSP via USB to your computer. Copy both 500.PBP and 550.PBP files in the root directory of your PSP memory stick (see picture below).

Now copy 5.50 GEN-D3 UPDATE and PSP Tool v1.00 folders into your PSP directory /PSP/GAME. Make sure the 5.50 GEN-D3 folder name remains as UPDATE or else you'll get a "Corrupted Data" shown on your PSP instead of the 5.50 GEN-D3. As for the PSP Tool v1.00 folder name, you can rename it to whatever you like as it doesn't matter (see pictures below).

Once you have all the folders and files in the correct PSP directories. Disconnect your PSP from your computer, and launch PSP Tool v1.00 first from your PSP.

You should see the PSP Tool v1.00 menu (shown above). Select Memory Stick Options, and press X button.

It will take you to next menu screen (shown above). Select Create Magic Memory Stick, and press X button.

It will take you to next menu screen (shown above). Select Despertar del Cementerio v8 (5.00 M33-4), and press X button.

An information screen (shown above) should then appear. Press O button.

PSP Tool v1.00 should now install all necessary files onto your PSP memory stick. Let it finish copying all the files

Once all the files have been copied onto your PSP memory stick, a message screen (shown above) will appear asking if you want to inject TIME MACHINE IPL onto your PSP memory stick. Select YES, and press X button. It is very important you select YES, or your MMS will be unsuccessful and will not boot up with a Pandora battery. If you do not see this message screen (shown above), it means that your PSP memory stick probably already has TIME MACHINE IPL injected on it.

The next message screen (shown above) should then appear, asking if you want to set your PSP battery serial number to 0xFFFFFFFF. If you see this message screen (shown above), it means that your PSP motherboard has the ability to softmod your PSP battery into a Pandora battery. If you do not see this message screen (shown above), it means either your PSP battery you are currently using is already a Pandora battery, your PSP motherboard is not capable of softmodding a PSP battery into a Pandora battery, your PSP does not detect a battery and/or you are using a wall charger/power outlet. Select YES, and press X button if you wish to convert your PSP battery into a Pandora battery. You can revert the softmodded Pandora battery back to a normal PSP battery using PSP Tool v1.00 later on under "Battery Options" at the beginning of the PSP Tool v1.00 menu. If you do not wish to convert your PSP battery into a Pandora battery because you already have a Pandora battery ready, then select NO and press X button.

The next message screen (shown above) should appear, prompting you to hold a key/button use to trigger the MMS when booting with a Pandora battery. Normally, the default key/button is "L" button. I suggest you use the "L" button to avoid any complications later on.

You have now successful created a MMS with 5.00 M33-4 CFW (shown above). Press O button, and exit PSP Tool v1.00. STOP HERE! If you want your MMS to have 5.00 M33-4 CFW.

Next, launch 5.50 GEN-D3 installer from your PSP.

An introduction screen (shown above) should appear. Select ENTER, and press X button.

The next menu screen (shown above) should appear. Select Install XGEN PANDORA V5, and press X button.

A completion screen (shown above) should appear. Press O button, and exit 5.50 GEN-D3 installer. Your MMS now has 5.50 GEN-D3 CFW patched over 5.00 M33-4 CFW. You can now use your 5.50 GEN-D3 MMS and a Pandora battery to unbrick or install 5.50 GEN-D3 CFW to any fully hackable PSP (non TA-088v3 motherboard). Good luck!

Last edited by pikachewee; 11-26-2010 at 06:11 AM.

Terra is offline -Hacks Newbie

I have a question....My battery I bought is the LED Pandora Battery. For the first step, do I set it to Pandora before I put it in?

Also, should I make the MMS after I do the first step, or before the first step? :>

(Hope I was allowed to ask. They are related )

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    I have a question....My battery I bought is the LED Pandora Battery. For the first step, do I set it to Pandora before I put it in?

Also, should I make the MMS after I do the first step, or before the first step? :>

(Hope I was allowed to ask. They are related )
    Well, you want to set your LED battery into Pandora mode. I have the blue LED battery purchased from DealExtreme.com as well. There is an instruction on the battery label. I believe you hold it for around 8 seconds and the LED will starts flashing, indicating it's in Pandora mode. From my guide, just inserts the Pandora into your PSP. If you see the power indicator light comes on automaticly and the screen is blank/black, then that's a quick check/test that your Pandora battery is good. Ofcourse, then you would attempt to make your MMS using Rain's UltraLite program. Then finally, once your MMS is done properly. Use the method shown at the very last of the tutorial showing you how to activate MMS using the Pandora battery step-by-step. Good luck!
    Last edited by pikachewee; 10-15-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks, Pika! :> Okay, it blinks green! Now I'm gonna make the MMS.

I have one question though:
    Place the official firmware update file named EBOOT.PBP or 500.PBP in the same folder as the program OR you will be asked for its location during make MMS.
    In the Rain folder, there is a already an 500.PBP file. Does it mean to place it on the Memory Card program, or something else?

Thanks, Pika! :> Okay, it blinks green! Now I'm gonna make the MMS.

I have one question though:

In the Rain folder, there is a already an 500.PBP file. Does it mean to place it on the Memory Card program, or something else?
    If you got the 500.PBP in the Rain's folder, then it means you downloaded my complete pack from Megaupload. You are good to go. Launch Rain's program on your computer, with your PSP syn via USB to your computer. Rain's program should automaticlly detects your PSP. Try it and you'll see. Just follow the guide. If you run into errors, there are solutions if you keep on follow my tutorial through. If you still need help, let me know. Good luck!

Okay, did everything! Which should I pick? Which is better I mean.

5.00 M33 or 5.00 OFW?

Okay, did everything! Which should I pick? Which is better I mean.

5.00 M33 or 5.00 OFW?
    Did you finish with making your MMS and are at CFW installer screen by Pandora battery? If so, you want to install 5.00 M33 CFW, not 5.00 OFW. 5.00 M33 CFW will install 5.00 M33-4 CFW onto your PSP. Once done installing, go into Settings > System Setting > System Information and it should says 5.00 M33-4 which means you have successful install CFW. Then from 5.00 M33-4 you can choose whether you want to use CFW 5.00 M33-6 or 5.50 GEN-D3 which are the two main CFWs that people here uses. You can just download 5.00 M33-6 or 5.50 GEN-D3 installer onto your Memory Stick and upgrade it straight to it without needing Pandora battery and MMS any longer. Good luck!
    Last edited by pikachewee; 10-15-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Yups

Okay, installing! So which update (CFW 5.00 M33-6 or 5.50 GEN-D3) is better to use? I'd like to play backups, my DBZ game and my Dissidia, even my FF games cases have broke so I can use them anymore... lol
    Last edited by Terra; 10-15-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Yups

Okay, installing! So which update (CFW 5.00 M33-6 or 5.50 GEN-D3) is better to use? I'd like to play backups, my DBZ game and my Dissidia, even my FF games cases have broke so I can use them anymore... lol
    Well, a lot of people are doing to debate against me over this topic, and probably this topic has been covered many times in many threads. So I'm not going to debate in this thread. However, I've told the same thing to everyone whom asked me this question. 5.00 M33-6 is a bit tricky to set up for it to run properly, and is more recommended for advanced users. For beginner users, or someone whom just want a simple CFW for run their ISO/CSO files (games) without worrying to much about setting up, I would tell them to go with GEN-D3. Either CFWs will do the job you want it to equally, in my opinion. With that being said, you can pick either one you are comfortable using. Heck, you can try both CFWs out, and if you don't like it you can use your Pandora battery and MMS to reflash and reinstall the other CFW. To get all your newest ISO/CSO files (games) to run, you can install 5.00 Prometheus-2 for M33-6, or 5.50 Prometheus-2 for GEN-D3. I'll stop right here before I go much further. I want to keep this thread clean and just about Pandora battery and MMS. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast