Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reflashing/Fixing your PSP with the Recovery Flasher

Cheesetheif is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

Default Reflashing/Fixing your PSP with the Recovery Flasher

Hello and welcome to my tutorial on using Hellcat's Recovery Flasher v1.60 + 5.50 FW pack.

Disclaimer:
    Any and all damage done to your PSP because of following this thread incorrectly or correctly is not the fault of the creator of this thread. The Recovery Flasher formats and "messes" with the PSP's flashes (where firmware and other info is stored). This can result in a brick if something goes wrong. If you follow the steps correctly in this thread, you should be fine, in fact, you will probably be better off than you were before if you are starting this with a not properly working PSP.

Download this before beginning:
    Chessetheif's Recover Package
    *This package includes: Recovery Flasher 1.60, 5.50 add-on for the recovery flasher, and 3.71, 4.01, 5.00, and 5.50 firmware files.

Tutorial:

-Before We Begin-
    i. THIS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED ON ANY UNHACKABLE PSP INCLUDING: PSP Go, PSP 3000, AND THE PSP 2000 WITH THE TA-088v3 MOTHERBOARD!!! DOING THIS ON THOSE PSP's WILL LEAVE YOU WITH A NICE PAPERWEIGHT. ADDITIONALLY, DO NOT ATTEMPT USING THE RECOVERY FLASHER ON 5.50 GEN-B, IT WILL NOT WORK. UPDATE TO 5.50 GEN-B2 OR HIGHER BEFORE ATTEMPTING (IF YOU ARE ABLE, IF NOT, THEN YOUR ONLY CHOICE OF SALVATION LIES WITH A PANDORA BATTERY).

ii. This tutorial will not be dealing with the XMB menu, since some people reading might not be able to access the XMB. Thus, we will be starting the Recovery Flasher from your PSP's recovery menu. If you can start homebrew from your XMB, then by all means just copy the files how I say to copy them in the tutorial and instead of using the Recovery Menu, just launch it regularly from the Game section of your XMB.

-Part One-

1. Download my Recovery Package, it will contain all you will need to recover your PSP (if possible that is).

2. Extract the file you get. Inside the extracted folder will be folders, One will be titles "To GAME Folder" and the other "To Root of MS."

3. Turn on your PSP while holding the R trigger. You will be in the recovery menu of your custom firmware. Connect a USB cable to the PSP and PC. One the PSP select "Toggle USB" and put your PSP aside for now.

-Part Two-

4. Click on the "To GAME Folder." Now, depending on what you wish to do with your PSP, drag and drop the folders you need from here into PSP>GAME (on your PSP). For the purposes of this tutorial you will pretty much only need the Recovery folder.

5. Now Go back to the folder called "To Root of MS." Click on the folder and you will see a few files. Now copy the 550.pbp file to the root of your memory stick (not into any folder on the PSP. Root = the first window that comes up when you connect your PSP to a PC). Now, depending on what PSP you have, copy either the PSP1000_550-GEN-D3.rfp for Fat PSP's or the PSP2000_550-GEN-D3.rfp for the Slim PSP's.

-Part Three-

6. Now back to the PSP. In the Recovery Menu, go down to "Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP" and hit X. This will start the Recovery Flasher.

7. If the program does not start, make sure you did all of the above correctly. Double check and try again. If it does not start this time too, then your PSP might not be recoverable with this method.

8. The program will prompt you with a warning prompt. Read the warning and hit "I AGREE, now take me to the program!" or "I AGREE - never show this again!"

9. Choose which frimware you need. With my package, you can have 3.71, 4.01, 5.00 and 5.50 CFW or OFW.

--5.50 Install Steps--
    Ignore this step and go to step 10 if you do not want to install/reinstall 5.50.

9.1 If you want to go to a 5.50 firmware, press X on the first option until to reads "Target FW: load from external FW pack"
    -----------------------

10. Now press down on the dpad to go to "Install CFW (of version selected above).

11. There will be a prompt asking if you want to reset settings, select yes. This will ensure you will have a clean install of your firmware and settings. Also, if you are installing a different firmware than you had before, the settings will need to be formatted afterwards anyway probably.

12. From here on, follow the prompts (if any) that the Recovery Flasher will give you.

Enjoy!

-Cheesetheif

(If you believe there are any errors in this tutorial, please post the errors in this thread I will make sure to fix them).

Last edited by Cheesetheif; 11-24-2010 at 08:15 AM.

UnŽestŽiŠted™

junKie is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Guru

I think its already easy to use the recovery flasher. But this should be good for the noobs.

Quote Originally Posted by junKie View Post
    I think its already easy to use the recovery flasher. But this should be good for the noobs.
    True, but I have not run into a download of the flasher with pretty much all of the needed files to make it work such as the updates, and the somewhat new fw pack all bundled together. Thought I would bundle that all together and make a tut I could link to when helping people in the help section.

UnŽestŽiŠted™

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

5. Now Go back to the folder called "To Root of MS." Click on the folder and you will see a few files. Now copy the 550.pbp file to the root of your memory stick (not into any folder on the PSP. Root = the first window that comes up when you connect your PSP to a PC). Now, depending on what PSP you have, copy either the PSP1000_550-GEN-D3.rfp for Fat PSP's or the PSP2000_550-GEN-D3.rfp for the Slim PSP's.
    9. Choose which frimware you need. With my package, you can have 3.71, 4.01, 5.00 and 5.50 CFW or OFW.
    You should mention that you need the appropriate update file (5.00 for example) if you want to upgrade to a firmware besides 5.50. In step five you say to copy of 550.pbp but in step 9 you say you can pick any firmware with your package. A noob might think 550.pbp is needed to go to any firmware and they might not realize that you need the appropriate update file.
    Last edited by Organized_Chaos; 10-26-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Organized_Chaos View Post
    You should mention that you need the appropriate update file (5.00 for example) if you want to upgrade to a firmware besides 5.50. In step five you say to copy of 550.pbp but in step 9 you say you can pick any firmware with your package. A noob might think 550.pbp is needed to go to any firmware and they might not realize that you need the appropriate update file.
    Remember that my package has the flasher bundled with the firmware files of 3.71, 4.01, 5.00, and 5.50. The first three are in the Recovery folder which I instruct to put into the game folder on the PSP. Only the 5.50 firmware file goes onto the root of the MS (along with the firmware pack rfp file).

UnŽestŽiŠted™

jbyrd117 is offline -Hacks Newbie

I have a PSP 1001 (the fat one) and my brother upgraded it to 6.3, will this work for me to get to an older firmware, so that I can chickHEN it?

rgangsta is offline -Hacks Newbie

Sweeeet. Thanks to you and theEvilOne, I was able to switch back from my 5.50 Prometheus-3 to 5.50 GEN-D Full (the one in your package) and then upgraded to 5.50 Prometheus-2. Now my saved games are uncorrupt and GoW Ghost of Sparta works again!
    Thanks a million.

Glad I could help. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrd117 View Post
    I have a PSP 1001 (the fat one) and my brother upgraded it to 6.3, will this work for me to get to an older firmware, so that I can chickHEN it?
    This homebrew can only be run on CFW as far as I know. I have not tried, but I do not think this will work with HBL...

The other point is that if you can run this homebrew, you do not need chickhen as the Recovery Flasher flashes full CFW to the PSP. (It can also flash OFW).

UnŽestŽiŠted™

proaccs is offline -Hacks Newbie

HI guys tried the recovery process using tutorial as above i have tried thsi several times. PSP has black screen then shuts down. What should be on the memory card initially does this need to be prepared in any way.. I have 5.5 gen b i can get into recovery console. PSP is a fat psp. I messed up my psp using UPT Installer???? Whatever that means trying to create a pandoras battery chose wrong option..Doh!

Configuration menu Gamefolder Homebrew 5.xx kernel or 1.5 kernel?

I must be doing something wrong
    Last edited by proaccs; 11-09-2010 at 05:45 AM.

theEvilOne is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by proaccs View Post
    HI guys tried the recovery process using tutorial as above i have tried thsi several times. PSP has black screen then shuts down. What should be on the memory card initially does this need to be prepared in any way.. I have 5.5 gen b i can get into recovery console. PSP is a fat psp. I messed up my psp using UPT Installer???? Whatever that means trying to create a pandoras battery chose wrong option..Doh!

Configuration menu Gamefolder Homebrew 5.xx kernel or 1.5 kernel?

I must be doing something wrong
    Make sure the EBOOT.PBP file is in PSP/GAME/RECOVERY.
    Make sure the 550.PBP file is on the root of the memory stick.
    Try switching your Game Folder Homebrew option--if it was on 1.50 Kernel, set it to 5.50 Kernel or vice versa.
    Make sure your UMD ISO Mode is set to either M33 Driver or Sony NP9660.
    You can also try launching Recovery Flasher from the Recovery Menu and clicking on "Run program at /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast