Thread: PSP Hacks Guide

J697 is offline Programmer -Hacks Enthusiast

Default PSP Hacks Guide

ULTIMATE
    PSP HACKS GUIDE

Introduction

What This Guide Is For
    This guide will explain how to hack your PSP, and if it can be hacked for free or not. In most cases your PSP will not be hackable for free, you will need to buy a pandora battery and make a magic memory stick. This guide will also cover how to make your own pandora battery, if you have the skill. This guide will include the downloads for all of the exploits that you will need to run homebrew. Please understand that an user-mode exploit has no access to the flash files, so you can not flash CFW or even anything to flash0. A kernel-mode exploit has full control over the PSPs flash files, so temporary CFW or full CFW is possible.

How To Use ChickHEN
    First of all if you have firmware 5.03 or below upgrade to 5.03 OFW. Download it in the download section below. Download chickHEN below in the downloads section too. After you are on 5.03 OFW, open the CHickHEN R2 archive and place the folder inside Slim of phat, depending on your PSP model (phat for 1000 -- slim for 2000,3000) with gif images into your PSP memory stick location like so PSP/PHOTO (later it will be PSP/PHOTO/ChickHEN). Now place the h.bin into the root of your memory stick. I have found this step helps ChickHEN boot with less attempts, go your PSP XMB, to settings and Restore Default Settings. Your PSP will reset, now go back into settings and turn off UMD Auto-Start and UMD Cache. I found ChickHEN loads in 2-3 goes after doing this. Now go into Photo / Memory Stick and ChickHEN. And wait, you will see five egg tiff images, these will start to load thumbnails. Your PSP may freeze and reset. Just keep retrying and ChickHEN R2 will load up….But if you see flashing colors, your PSP will reboot into ChickHEN your homebrew ready!

How To Use HBL
    This section is for 6.20.
    HBL, half byte loader is an user-mode exploit. The lates revision is R109, HBL can run homebrew, emulators, but NOT ISOs. HBL is for firmwares 5.50+, HBL is now released for 6.35. Any firmware can use HBL. Download the hacked patapon savedata, patapon 2 demo, and patapon HBL. Now connect your PSP to your PC through a USB cable. Now put the patapon 2 demo in PSP/GAME/. Now quit USB mode, goto the game section of the memory stick and make sure that the patapon 2 demo XMB icon is there. If it is then go back into USB mode, now extract the hacked patapon savedata and put the folder in PSP/SAVEDATA/. Now extract patapon 2 HBL, put the hbl folder in the root of the memory stick. Download some homebrew, put it in the folder PSP/GAME. Now run patapon 2, on the menu click continue. It should load the hacked savedata, now when it loads up click R trigger. The HBL menu should load up, now click on the homebrew you want to play. Note that not every homebrew will work with HBL.
    This section is for 6.30+.
    Download the Minna no Sukkiri hacked HBL and savedata below in the downloads section. Just do as above except for when the demo loads up choose the second mune option, press O not X (remember it is a japanese demo).
    Motherboard Info
    TA-079 Fully Hackable
    TA-082 Fully Hackable
    TA-086 Fully Hackable
    TA-088v3 NOT Hackable

Hacking For Free
    PSP 1000
    To hack a PSP 1000 for free, it must be at 5.03 OFW. Now run chickHEN with the instructions above. Download Hellcat's recovery flasher with the links below in the download section. Run the recovery flasher after you run chickHEN successfully. Now install CFW, alot of things should flash to the PSP. After it is done congratulations you have CFW, and it didn't cost a dime!

PSP 2000
    Enable chickHEN, now download pspident below in the downloads section. Run pspident, look at the motherboard info section above. If your PSP is fully hackable then download and run Hellcat's recovery flasher, then click install CFW. Let it work and after it is finished, you have CFW and you didn't pay a cent! On the other hand if your motherboard is TA-088v3 or above then, you may upgrade to OFW 6.20. Read How To Use HBL and use it with the patapon 2 demo. Then you wait for Total_Noob's HEN coming for 6.20 and later for 6.3X firmwares, it will be here before January.

PSP 3000
    Only available way of homebrew for 3000 users is Total_Noob's HEN, currently it is only available for OFW 6.20. Any firmware above this must wait for his 6.35 HEN. For 6.20 users, download the 6.20 HEN below. Now you must have the patapon 2 demo and patapon HBL ready for use as well. Refer to "How To Use HBL" for more information. To have HEN auto-boot upon launch of HBL, navigate to the "hbl" folder in the root of the memorystick. Then open the folder "menu". Copy the HEN's EBOOT.PBP and replace the current EBOOT.PBP in the menu folder.

PSP GO
    Only available way of homebrew for GO users is Total_Noob's HEN, currently it is only available for OFW 6.20. Any firmware above this must wait for his 6.35 HEN. For 6.20 users, download the 6.20 HEN below. Now you must have the patapon 2 demo and patapon HBL ready for use as well. Refer to "How To Use HBL" for more information. To have HEN auto-boot upon launch of HBL, navigate to the "hbl" folder in the root of the memorystick. Then open the folder "menu". Copy the HEN's EBOOT.PBP and replace the current EBOOT.PBP in the menu folder.

Hacking

So you are past 5.03 and want your fully hackable PSP to have M33? Well you need a pandora battery, which will run you about $10. Or if you want to attempt it you can make your own pandora battery out of your own normal battery. I will post a video tutorial for this process. For buying a pandora battery, I know that this site is safe (I bought my battery from there).

I do not take credit for this video, I am just including it here.

Trust me, any moron can make a magic memory stick. First download Rains mms maker below. Then connect your PSP through a USB cable and run the MMS maker. After you have a mms made and a pandora battery ready at your side then follow these instructions below.
    • Take out the battery and the mms of the PSP
    • Next, insert the mms into the PSP
    • Now while holding the L trigger
    • Inset the pandora battery
    • Now follow the on-screen instructions
    • Congratulations, you should have CFW!

Downloads

Last edited by J697; 12-26-2010 at 12:04 AM.

I edited it to include TN's HEN, and what no love for my tutorial

biggjoe is offline -Hacks Newbie

Greetings $PsPhaKeR,

Thank you very much for this awesome guide!! I am a 100% PSP virgin/n00be. Just got one today (PSP-3000). I'm planning on completely immersing myself with everything there is to know with regard to the PSP-3000 in the next few days, both legit *factory* info, along with any and all exloit/hack/homebrew info.

Any suggestions on where/how I should get started?

Thanks!!

BJ.

xocomaox is offline -Hacks Ninja

just read everything on this forum. great stuff here!
    currently playing
    テイルズ オブ リバース
    ToP: なりきりダンジョン X (0.11)
    psp-1001 5.00 m33-6

Quote Originally Posted by biggjoe View Post
    Greetings $PsPhaKeR,

Thank you very much for this awesome guide!! I am a 100% PSP virgin/n00be. Just got one today (PSP-3000). I'm planning on completely immersing myself with everything there is to know with regard to the PSP-3000 in the next few days, both legit *factory* info, along with any and all exloit/hack/homebrew info.

Any suggestions on where/how I should get started?

Thanks!!

BJ.
    Try here.
    I wrote a small guide on that site for some PSP terms, go crazy

PearLBLacK is offline vaca -Hacks Enthusiast

No offense, but there's no use for this tutorial. There are already other tutorials that address the same issue. And, to be honest, they're much better and more organized than this. Remember that noobs with absolutely no knowledge about hacking tend to have problems with poorly organized tutorials.

Don't get me wrong, though. Good job for trying.

xocomaox is offline -Hacks Ninja

i thought it was fine. noobs don't read the tutorials anyways (i never understood this) so the more available the better.
    currently playing
    テイルズ オブ リバース
    ToP: なりきりダンジョン X (0.11)
    psp-1001 5.00 m33-6

Quote Originally Posted by PearLBLacK View Post
    No offense, but there's no use for this tutorial. There are already other tutorials that address the same issue. And, to be honest, they're much better and more organized than this. Remember that noobs with absolutely no knowledge about hacking tend to have problems with poorly organized tutorials.

Don't get me wrong, though. Good job for trying.
    I did not write the tutorial for this site, I wrote it for a new PSP site that did need it. I just posted it over here so more people would see it.

I say it is pretty organized, it is split into separate categories.