Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Half-Byte Loader tutorial - run homebrew apps on your unhackable PSP!

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Default Half-Byte Loader tutorial - run homebrew apps on your unhackable PSP!

NOTICE: Mods and/or admins, I would like my original "How to use Emulators on Official Firmware" thread unstickied and have this one take it's place. Instead of just updating the original thread I have decided to let it rest in piece so I can start over fresh. Please delete this notice once you unsticky my old thread.

Introduction
    The Half-Byte Loader, commonly referred to as HBL, is a user mode exploit which allows us to run unofficial software, known as homebrew, on our PSPs. It generally does not allow us to run UMD backups known as ISOs but it can run the majority of all homebrew applications. Previously we used Hot Shots Golf UMD to launch HBL on firmware 6.30 and 6.31. Now we have the Sukkiri exploit which works on all firmware versions and is a demo so it's free for everyone. Compatibility will be much higher than that of Hot Shots Golf due to it being a newer game and all. Therefor my tutorials will not explain how to launch HBL using one of the golf games. This tutorial will explain the Sukkiri demo exploit.

Downloads
    You will need the following files to successfully trigger this exploit:
    • Minna no sukkiri demo - download it here
    • Half-Byte Loader revision 112 for Sukkiri - download it here
    • Save data for Sukkiri - download it here
    You may also get these files from Wololo's site: http://wololo.net/wagic/half-byte-lo...p-to-ofw-6-35/

Getting Started
    Format your PSP's memory stick from the PSP before you do any of this. Formatting your memory stick will erase all of your data so make sure you have important stuff backed up. Don't put anything on the memory stick until I say so. Connect your PSP to your computer via USB or by using a card reader. Open the hbl-r112-sukkiri-wololo.zip file on your computer extract the contents of it to the root of your memory stick.

(click image for larger resolution)

Open the game save archive (UCJS10094.zip) on your computer and extract the contents of it to your memory stick. The UCJS10094 needs to go in \PSP\SAVEDATA\.

Then you need to open the everybodys_sukkiri archive on your computer. You should see a folder named NPJG90047. Copy that folder to ms0:\PSP\GAME\.

You will also need some homebrew to test out. Here is a list of 15 essential homebrew apps that are working on HBL.

If done correctly you should have the following files and folders:
    ms0:/PSP/GAME/NPJG90047/EBOOT.PBP
    ms0:/PSP/GAME/<homebrew app's folder>/EBOOT.PBP
    ms0:/PSP/SAVEDATA/UCJS10094/
    ms0:/hbl/ (with folders and files inside it)
    ms0:/h.bin

You may have more folders and files but those are files required for this exploit.

Triggering the Exploit
    1. You need to safely disconnect your PSP from your computer.
    2. Go to GAME on the memory stick and launch the Sukkiri demo.
    3. You will see some black screens with Japanese writing. I assume these are copyright statements, credits, or health warnings. Just wait for them to pass.
    4. You should come to a screen with two options. You want the bottom option. Press O to select it.
    5. HBL should launch, select a homebrew and have fun!

Last edited by Organized_Chaos; 12-30-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Razorshades is offline -Hacks Newbie

I read everything and tried my best to follow the instructions given step by step, but it seems every time I try to load the demo, which loads perfectly, crashes? Or just returns me to the menu when prompted to press "O". I formatted my memory stick and double checked everything.

My PSP model is 1000.
    My firmware is 6.31, if that helps.
    Last edited by Razorshades; 12-30-2010 at 01:23 AM.

Does your memory stick look something like this: ?

or instead of ms0:/ it would be like X:\PSP\GAME\

Quote Originally Posted by Organized_Chaos View Post
    Does your memory stick look something like this: ?

or instead of ms0:/ it would be like X:\PSP\GAME\
    Excuse me being a noob at all this stuff, but what do you mean by "ms0:/"?

As for the items, do screenshots help? I think I got most of them.

PSP/GAME with NPJG90047 and homebrew app (being Cavestory as the example.)

PSP/SAVE DATA shown with the UCJS10094 folder.

HBL folder inside the ROOT of the PSP.

Again, I formatted my PSP and got the same error, pressing "O" on the bottom option will cause a black screen and return me to the PSP menu.

ms0 just means it's the first memory stick. If the PSP had space for two or more memory sticks then you would be able to have ms0, ms1, ms2, etc.

ms0:/PSP/GAME would be F:\PSP\GAME on your computer.

Can I see a screenshot of the inside of the NPJG90047 folder? And inside the savedata UCJS10094 folder?

The screenshots you showed look fine to me. I think the problem may be with the save data.

Quote Originally Posted by Organized_Chaos View Post
    ms0 just means it's the first memory stick. If the PSP had space for two or more memory sticks then you would be able to have ms0, ms1, ms2, etc.

ms0:/PSP/GAME would be F:\PSP\GAME on your computer.

Can I see a screenshot of the inside of the NPJG90047 folder? And inside the savedata UCJS10094 folder?

The screenshots you showed look fine to me. I think the problem may be with the save data.
    NPJG90047

UCJS10094

I don't know how to help you. You have done everything correctly. The only other option I can think of is to download and install the development build from this page: http://wololo.net/wagic/half-byte-lo...p-to-ofw-6-35/ and then post in the forums at wololo.net/talk where they will ask you for the logfile it creates.

You're the first person I know who has tried this on a PSP-1000... maybe it just hasn't been tested a lot yet.

keymaster16 is offline -Hacks Newbie

first time poster but i had the same issue on a 3000 running 6.35, but your right OC it was a bad save, tried the one on the development page and it ran perfectly, so i would look into that first

Quote Originally Posted by keymaster16 View Post
    first time poster but i had the same issue on a 3000 running 6.35, but your right OC it was a bad save, tried the one on the development page and it ran perfectly, so i would look into that first
    I actually gave up last night since it was so late, but yeah. The save I used from that site actually made the HBL work, might want to add that to your guide for future reference.

DayDreamingPothead is offline -Hacks Newbie

I had the same problem too (PSP 3004, OFW 5.70). The other save made it work, but I couldn't get too many homebrew apps running. The ones that ran were on the list mentioned above. Still, something is better than nothing. Thank you OC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast