Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to know if you have a fake Memory Stick

Neon Knight is offline -Hacks Guru

Default How to know if you have a fake Memory Stick

What is a fake Memory Stick?

This is a Memory Stick which is not legit and doesn't have MagicGate support. They are usually cheaper than original ones and have lower quality.

Using a fake MS can cause problems reading data, lower capacity and slow transfer speeds. Such memory cards can not be used as Magic Memory Sticks.

How to know if your already bought Memory Stick is fake?

Turn on your PSP and scroll to the Memory Stick icon.
    Press Triangle and choose Information.
    If it says MagicGate Supported, the card is legit.

If it's anything else (Unknown or Unsupported), your memory card is fake.

What to do if your Memory Stick is fake?

Here is a little tutorial on how to remove issues with a fake (unknown) Memory Stick. This can be done on all PSPs running CFW or HEN.
    Note: It may not always work but there's no harm in trying.

1. Download Pandora Toolkit:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9sxgsdtahvrr35g
    2. Extract the file. (using WinRar or 7zip, it doesn't matter)
    You only need the folder named PandoraToolkit.

3. Copy it to the Memory Stick at /PSP/GAME

4. Go to Game -> Memory Stick and start it.

* If using a PSP 2000 (non-TA-085v1 or 3000) you may get a warning that your PSP is not capable of softmodding a battery (make Pandora). Don't worry, just skip it.

5. Here is the main menu. Choose Resolve issues with FAKE Memory Stick.

On the next screen say Yes. Wait until it's done and press X or O.

6. Exit the program and go to System Settings -> Format Memory Stick.

Now check again the information about the Memory Stick. If it says MagicGate supported, you have succesfully done it.

iamafreak is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Nice guide Neon Knight. I dint know you could fix issues if the memory stick was fake. +rep

OxGeRo is offline -Hacks Neophyte

+rep man that could help some people a lot
    1 rep power FTW!

astro2 is offline -Hacks Newbie

I've tried it, it doesn't work

I followed the instructions let it do its thing, it formats which is weird, wouldn't formatting whipe off the files that would allow the system think its legit? anyhoo after it does its reparing/formatting process you press 'x' or 'o' and it turns off the psp. I turn the system back on and I check the info it still says 'magic gate - unknown'. Then I complete the process to see if that will work, as you stated in the tute I must format using the system onboard formatting process i.e settings then 'format memory stick'

still i get 'magic gate - unknown' explanation.

so what do i do?

Neon Knight is offline -Hacks Guru

Note: It may not always work but there's no harm in trying.
    I said that, it doesn't always work. It depends on the Memory Stick itself, i.e. how "bad" it is...
    So, actually you can't do anything else about your fake MS.

astro2 is offline -Hacks Newbie

i see, how high is the probability for success?

because I just found out another memory stick i had that i've been playing with, with no problems was fake too and this method didn't help either.

looks like I might aswell just copy my games back over and pretend nothing happened since this method doesn't have a high probability of success and the games work just fine

-OuterHeaven- is offline -Hacks Member

Just to be clear, there is an exception to the fake mem stick rule: Micro SD cards. You can use Micro SD cards with an adapter such as the Photofast CR-5400. These cards will show up as MagicGate Unknown, but they aren't necessarily "fake" cards. They are just a different style of memory card which doesn't use MagicGate.

I have not found any errors with these cards at all. I've used many different homebrews, iso's, and umd's. I've downloaded content from the PSN, and it has worked perfectly (including game add-ons, demos, and comics). I have also used them as magic memory sticks, and even the ipl installs properly. That actually surprised me, because I had heard about errors when trying to install an ipl to 16 gb Pro Duo memory sticks. I've made a magic memory stick with a 16 gb Photofast (8 gb x 2), and also with a 32 gb Photofast (16 gb x 2).

Also, depending on the class of your micro sd cards (class 2, 4, 6), they can actually be faster than regular Pro Duo cards. You can measure the speed with an app called Blackspeed. The 32 gb Photofast I'm using now actually has identical read speed, and a better write speed than a Sony Pro Duo.

thefunkygibbon is offline -Hacks Newbie

just piping up to describe my experience with doing this.

Have a photofast card with a 4gb and 2gb microsd card in it. totals about 5774mb or something when its formatted normally by psp. but doesnt see iso files on it.

used the pandora tool to "fix" it and the resulting size of the card is about 4774 ish (about a gig less) very odd. is this to be expected? anyway. formatting by the psp AFTER using the pandora tool brings it back to the proper size but it still doesnt see iso files.

but

if i do the pandora thing, and copy all the files and folder structure from another card the psp sees the iso's fine! just that i'm now a gig shorter than i hoped i would be

any ideas?

-OuterHeaven- is offline -Hacks Member

Format your card with the PSP, then copy over your folders and files from your other card. Also, make sure your iso's are in a folder called ISO on the root of your memory stick.

If that doesn't work, then maybe there is a problem with one of your sd cards. I have 2 Photofast adapters myself, and they work perfectly. Iso's show up fine. A friend of mine also has an adapter, and his works perfectly as well. Good luck!

devilwarrior400 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default help please

can someone please help me make a mms pm me about it because when i try the screen always ends up black and it doesnt boot the stick i have tryed many different methos im using a 2 gigabyte sd card with my photofast cr 5400 please help me (i know no punctuation but you should be able to understand)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast