Thread: You are subscribed to this thread Problem with icon1.pmf for PS1 games

Metalmurphy is offline -Hacks Newbie

I've been doing my own Chrono Cross game boot theme and i can't get more then 5 seconds on the movie, and even with 5 seconds my music doesn't work.

Here's mine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkE_5hIdhP4

I noticed this guy made some that last for around 20 seconds WITH sound:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPU997CfOt8

Any idea how I can do this?

Also, should i use sound coming from the .pmf or a separate .at3 file instead?

scooochie4 is offline -Hacks Hacker

A gameboot can only be 3 seconds long. I assume you mean you want to make a Cintro?! A Cintro can be as long as you like and it runs from the memorystick (as opposed to the flash memory).

I'm not sure why you've been having trouble with the sound. Have you been following all the steps correctly? Also, note that when you preview the pmf on your pc (with the media player plug-in) you will not hear any audio even though you will when you put it on the psp. The media player plug-in cannot play the audio for some reason.
    Other than that, i cant think of anything else. If you follow the tutorial directly then it should work.
    Maybe you could try using an .at3 file instead? I normally put the audio in with the pmf but if you use an .at3 then you will be able to have slightly higher quality video.

Hey, thanks for the info.

I think the problem is with popstation then, i've heard it can't be bigger then 500kb, maybe if i change the icon1.pmf AFTER i convert the iso with popstation it will work. Is that how you do it?

Just to make sure i'm doing everything right, here's the steps i'm taking.

- Use VirtuaDubMod with AviSynth to make a small video avi file.
    - Use Sony Tools to convert it to MPS
    - Use Icon Converter to make it a Cintro
    - Put the icon1.pmf in the popstation folder
    - Convert the PS1 iso with popstation.

scooochie4 is offline -Hacks Hacker

Ok, i didnt realise you were making an icon1 sorry! I'm getting confused!
    Yes, the icon1 can only be 500kb. I find that around 10-12 seconds is optimal. Any longer and the video quality becomes very poor. Also, you may have to play with the setting in the umd stream composer to get the file size down. You can get away with a bitrate of around 400-500. Rememeber also that even if the video looks quite poor if you preview it, it will actually look better on the psp because it will be shrunk to a smaller size.

I recommend this tutorial:
    http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=36538
    If you follow that you cant go wrong. Do exactly as he says, except at the end call the file icon1.pmf instead of gameboot.pmf

Then use zingaburga's popstation gui to put the icon1.pmf into the popstation file. It probably wont matter if you put it in before or after converting

Many thanks scoochie. Stupid me. I was using the wrong settings in the Stream Composer to change the Bitrate. That was my problem lol.

Again, many thanks.