The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!

Would you like to get all the new buzz from Dashhacks in your email each day?

Want to learn more about the team who brings you the Dash Hacks news?

Read about them now!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to create gameboots longer than 2.5 seconds

osnap1584 is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Default How to create gameboots longer than 2.5 seconds

Introduction
    Since many people haven't look into this until recently and robs is usually very busy I'm gonna work on this tutorial using my free time, this my first tutorial so bear with me. Making gameboots longer involves editing the opening_plugin.rco or as we like to call it the coldboot.

I would also like to apologize to all of the guys making gameboot requests. This tutorial might just bring in more trouble if people started to get lazy and start asking you guys to edit the opening_plugin.rco as well. I'll try to make this tutorial more noob friendly. As always requesters please give the people working on your request more time to work their magic.

Requirements
    We'll start things off with the requirements obviously you need custom firmware. If you are running a slim you should be able to flash the longer gameboots with no problems. For phats you will have to free up some space in your flash0. Here's a tutorial on how to flash themes and free up space by Robs1968. [Tutorial] 3.71/3.81/3.90 M33 Custom Themes Installation (Flash0) Freeing up space will rid of the cyclic redundancy error because of the lack of space you can also use cxmb as an alternative to flashing, here's a link to how to use cxmb for 3.90m33 by mattrey94: [Tutorial] How to use and install CXMB (3.90m33). This isn't a tutorial on how to use cxmb use Robs's tutorial or mattrey's tutorial; I will only provide the link.

After freeing up space, we need tools:
    RCO Editor.
    We might also need(I have also included the sysmem.prx necessary to run it): Resurssiklunssi
    Note Resurssiklunssi uses the 1.5 kernel addon this tutorial will not show you how to install the 1.5 kernel, for phats use the easy installer for the 1.5 addon if you haven't done that yet from Stallone's Master Thread. For slims use demonchild's guide on Using Dark Alex's Time Machine.
    If slim users don't want to go through the hassle of installing Time Machine, run Resurssiklunssi through Noobz's Eloader: Here's the link.

To install Resurssiklunssi place the Resurssiklunssi folder in the GAME150 folder under the 3.XX kernel or if you are under the 1.5 kernel place it in your GAME folder. Place the rco folder in the root of you memory stick. Keep Resurssiklunssi for future uses its useful if you plan to edit other rcos and it would also be less trouble because I provided the sysmem.prx if you are too lazy to get the file yourself.

Here is a link to decrypted and decompressed rco which you can work with. It is updated everytime a new firmware is released. Just scroll down and you will find them for your firmware. Click Here

You might also want to backup your flash0 files just in case. If you forgot to back them up use the backups in Stallone's Thread provided by the link above.

Procedure
    Now that we have finished with requirements it's time for the fun part. Gameboots have to be 2.5 mb or lower for this to work on both iso and eboots without problems. Using gameboots over 2.5mb gives you only the audio in your gameboot and a white screen. Find the gameboot you want and note the time duration for the gameboot.
    Here's a link to mmmmmm's alternative custom gameboot tutorial: Gameboot Tutorial.

Thanks to Mr. Shizzy's tip, if you are going to be making extended gameboots, than you may want to keep the video/audio bit rates down, or these things will be HUGE!! There will be no room in Flash0 for them! (You can still use CXMB) By lowering video/audio bit rates in UMD Tools, a 13 second gameboot can be lower down to about 594 kbs.

We will need the opening_plugin.rco if you have a custom opening_plugin.rco then just copy it over from your flash0 /vsh/resource folder. Now you're gonna want to edit this to make the gameboot timespan longer. Open up RCO editor provided from the link above then open and browse for the opening_plugin.rco.
    If either of these messages appear

Cancel it, put your psp in usb mode and place the opening_plugin.rco in the rco folder then exit out of usb mode to run the Resurssiklunssi program. Press X to decompress the files in the rco folder. When finished a new decompressed opening_plugin.rco appears in the /rco/done folder.
    Open up RCO editor if you have closed the window and open the new decompressed opening_plugin.rco. Go to the Anim Data Tab and scroll down to anim_gameboot_movie @ 0x1f58 [0x901].
    Set the last delay entry above the Fire Event to set the page data. For example 12 seconds would be 12050 or 6 seconds would be 6050.

Here is a pic of how it looks like:

When you have the right time down it's time to flash the gameboot.pmf and the opening_plugin.rco. RCO editor makes a backup of how the rco was before you edit it.
    If you have any second thoughts just rename the opening_plugin rco.bak to opening_plugin.rco and replace it.
    Place the gameboot.pmf and the newly editted opening_plugin.rco in the flash0 /vsh/resource folder overwriting the original(remember to have backups).
    If it so happens that the gameboot does not end the way you like it after trying it out, open up RCO editor again and edit the third delay in the anim_gameboot_movie again. Subtract intervals of 50 or 100, single digits are almost unnoticeable.
    If you finally have it working the way you want it, you might also want to compress the opening_plugin rco again for more free space.
    Make sure the /rco/done folder is empty and place the newly editted opening_plugin.rco in the rco folder. Start Resussiklunssi and press O this time to compress the rco in the rco folder.
    Finally flash the compressed opening_plugin.rco from the /rco/done folder into your flash0 /vsh/resource again overwriting the decompressed file and you are all set.

Enjoy your new gameboots that are longer than 2.5 seconds. :D

Please don't use this thread to request for gameboots or the opening_plugin.rco make your own thread or request for one from the members with threads taking requests.

Credits go to me for putting this together and providing links to the tools, Robs1968 for explaining this and his awesome tutorial on how to flash themes, Highboy for my gameboot and coldboot needs (please donate to his website: Click Here), Zinga Burga for Rco Editor, Z33 for Resurssiklunssi, matchung for introducing this to us and his gameboot, Stallone for his awesome thread, Demonchild for the Time Machine Guide, mattrey94 for the cxmb for 3.90 m33 guide, mmmmmm for the gameboot tutorial, Luisprado for assisting me in matchung's thread and highboy's thread, shizzy for the tips, NOOBZ for eloader, and p0op as well because he introduced this to me before but I never looked into it until recently.

Click on Sig to View My Deviant Art Page

finally done sorry for bumping this up. :) If anyone has any comments or if I made any errors please comment. Mods please sticky.

Luisprado is offline -Hacks Guru

Cool man Make this sticky...

VENOM!!!

mmmmmm is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Good find and quite well written osnap1584. Its a complicated procedure, you may want to break the paragraphs down a bit so its easier to follow.

Of course, you realise that requests will be a lot more complicated now because peeps will want gameboots in all different lengths.
    ( ^^)b

highboy is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

thats very true mmmmmm and that is why im not liking this.i mite be fading out of this business if things get crazy.i dont mind the gameboot deal as long as they piss around with the finer setting to get it to play right sorta thing .i dont know maybe worried for nothing we'll see.
    Check out my apps Here

tracer3ze is offline -Hacks Newbie

im getting a white screen gameboot, but i got the longer time working.. any ideas to fix this? im on 3.71M33-4 slim.

highboy is offline Senior Member -Hacks Monk

Quote Originally Posted by tracer3ze
    im getting a white screen gameboot, but i got the longer time working.. any ideas to fix this? im on 3.71M33-4 slim.
    and so it starts lol
    Check out my apps Here

yea I'll edit it I was busy finishing God of War

mmmmmm is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by highboy
    thats very true mmmmmm and that is why im not liking this.i mite be fading out of this business if things get crazy.i dont mind the gameboot deal as long as they piss around with the finer setting to get it to play right sorta thing .i dont know maybe worried for nothing we'll see.
    yep, I think this should have been kept under a hat.
    Nothing wrong if people want to use this method themselves though.
    Maybe we should add a forum rule that you can only request standard length gameboots. :/
    ( ^^)b

Quote Originally Posted by tracer3ze
    make sure the gameboot is 2.5mb or less eboots work fine but iso will show a white screen but you can here the background sounds.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast