Thread: Reporting a Post

PearLBLacK is offline vaca -Hacks Enthusiast

Default Reporting a Post

I recently noticed that reporting a post actually increments the user's post count. For instance, I had 378 posts. After reporting a post, my Total Posts beneath my username at the top right increased by one to 379. Is this a bug, or was it intended?

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PearLBLacK View Post
    I recently noticed that reporting a post actually increments the user's post count. For instance, I had 378 posts. After reporting a post, my Total Posts beneath my username at the top right increased by one to 379. Is this a bug, or was it intended?
    When you report a post you actually post in a thread that the staff reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ERIFNOMI View Post
    When you report a post you actually post in a thread that the staff reviews.
    Ohh, never knew that. Aren't you supposed to keep it a secret

Zero is offline Ad Man -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by PearLBLacK View Post
    Ohh, never knew that. Aren't you supposed to keep it a secret
    Which part? Helping out the moderation team slightly increases your e-penis, or the fact that reports can actually be seen by the mods?

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

Shhh regular members arent supposed to know that staff can see secret buttons and remove/modify posts.

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Jsamp View Post
    Shhh regular members arent supposed to know that staff can see secret buttons and remove/modify posts.
    Haha what the hell else would staff do? It's (slightly) more than just a title and fancy colored named. Do people really think when you report a post no one sees it? It magically gets taken care of by forum elves or some shit?

Mister Eff is offline Gone fishin -Hacks God

I did want to know if posts there incremented post count for members. It could be fixed but I guess if a member is kind enough to report they deserve that one post.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Which part? Helping out the moderation team slightly increases your e-penis, or the fact that reports can actually be seen by the mods?
    Quote Originally Posted by ERIFNOMI
    Haha what the hell else would staff do? It's (slightly) more than just a title and fancy colored named. Do people really think when you report a post no one sees it? It magically gets taken care of by forum elves or some shit?
    Well, in most forums, staff-only threads/sections are kept a secret.
    Of course, I knew reports were seen by mods. But I thought it kind of sent a PM to the mod assigned to that section of the forum, or something like that. I had no idea it posted to a staff-only thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Eff
    I did want to know if posts there incremented post count for members. It could be fixed but I guess if a member is kind enough to report they deserve that one post.
    I'd say change it, or keep it a secret. That way, members would report posts for violation of rules, instead of increasing their own post count.

Rob S. is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

Reported posts will no longer be added to users' post counts.

Although there's no real concern about users abusing the feature to increase post count, if we do prune the posts for whatever reason, users will question a sudden drop in their post count.

Quote Originally Posted by PearLBLacK
    Well, in most forums, staff-only threads/sections are kept a secret.

Of course, I knew reports were seen by mods. But I thought it kind of sent a PM to the mod assigned to that section of the forum, or something like that. I had no idea it posted to a staff-only thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by PearLBLacK
    keep it a secret.
    Check the vB manual:

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?...rsion=30807601

Search "User Infractions & Post Reporting Options".

Emails are sent to all staff when a post is reported, and there's a post reporting discussion forum.

There's nothing kept top secret about it.

These aren't MI6 or NSA documents.

The standard features are the same on all vB forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    Check the vB manual:

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html?...rsion=30807601

Search "User Infractions & Post Reporting Options".

Emails are sent to all staff when a post is reported, and there's a post reporting discussion forum.

There's nothing kept top secret about it.

These aren't MI6 or NSA documents.

The standard features are the same on all vB forums.
    I meant the post reporting discussion forum is kept hidden from regular members.

• User Infraction Discussion Forum
      A discussion thread can be created for each user infraction for moderators to discuss the infraction further. Choose a forum for the discussion threads to be created in.

If you do not wish a discussion thread to be created for user infractions, set this to Select Forum
    • Require Infraction Message
      This option requires that the user sending an infraction include a PM or Email, depending on your forum settings.
    • Post Reporting Discussion Forum
      A discussion thread can be created for each reported post for moderators to discuss the post further. Choose a forum for the discussion threads to be created in.Note:
      Reported Visitor Messages, Social Group Messages and Album Pictures & Messages also are posted in the forum set here.

If you do not wish a discussion thread to be created for reported items, set this to Select Forum
    • Post Reporting User
      Reported post discussion threads default to being posted under the username of the reporter. To have the threads reported under another username, enter an existing username.
    • Post Reporting Email
      This option sends an email to the specified users when a post is reported. It can be sent to moderators, super moderators and administrators, moderators only, or no email sent.Note:
      If the Post Reporting Email is set to No Email and the Post Reporting Discussion Forum is set to Select Forum then no notifications of any kind will be issued for reported items.
    I was aware of the highlighted part, but I didn't know there was a specific forum for reported posts.

Oh well, question answered.