The above video goes away if you are a member and logged in, so log in now!

Would you like to get all the new buzz from Dashhacks in your email each day?

Want to learn more about the team who brings you the Dash Hacks news?

Read about them now!

Thread: Streaming Video from PC to Wii using WiiMC

WeedZ1985 is offline Poof -Hacks Guru

Default Streaming Video from PC to Wii using WiiMC

PC -> Wii Video Streaming Using WiiMC

Introduction:

First, let me apologize if I over detailed any steps. It's been a while since I've written a step by step guide and I didn't want to leave anything out. That being said, this is a little feature I found using WiiMC that I thought was worthy of sharing. Any veteran of the original Xbox hacking scene who has used XBMC should be well aware of SMB Shares. This little tutorial will show you how to setup file sharing and enable video streaming to the wii.

What you will need:

• Wii capable of running homebrew. (This guide assumes you have already enabled homebrew on your Wii console and installed the homebrew channel. If you have not, refer to this tutorial)
    • A network connection linking your PC and Wii (ie, a router)
    • WiiMC Media Player – found here or on the Homebrew Browser
    • WiiMC Channel Forwarder (optional) – found here or on the Homebrew Browser
    • This guide refers to steps required in XP SP3 and may differ from other versions of windows.

Part One – setting up PC for shares

First you must find a directory on your PC that you wish to share. It can be any folder location as long as that folder contains the videos you wish to stream. It is recommended, for security reasons, that you do not use the root of the drive that your operating system is installed to. (for example “C:\”)

Once you have located the desired folder, right click it and select “Properties”. In the properties window select the “Sharing” tab. You must check to enable file sharing on the network as well as give it a share name. (see image below). Once completed, click “OK”.

Spoiler for image:

Now we must determine your PC’s IP address. To do this click start and select “run”. In the run window type “cmd” (without quotes) and click OK. The command prompt should appear. In the command promt type “ipconfig” (again, without quotes) and hit enter. You will now be given information regarding your network address. IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. Make note of your IP address as it will be used in later steps.

Part Two – Setting up Wii:

I will breifly go over installing WiiMC. If you downloaded it through the Homebrew Browser then it’s already set-up and ready to use. If you downloading from the link above you will need to extract the “apps” folder from the zip archive and copy it to the root of your SD card. Woo… that was tough. Same goes for the channel installer. This is a self installer so there’s no need to use wad manager.

Next you will need to setup WiiMC. Once it’s running go to the network settings by clicking those little gear thingies in the top right corner, then “Network” and “Add SMB Share”. Here are the settings.

• Display name - it doesn’t matter what you put here. It’s just what WiiMC will use to refer to your share.
    • Share IP – This is your pc’s IP as shown in ipconfig.
    • Share Name – must match the share name given to the selected share folder.
    • Username – This is your login name for windows
    • Password – If you don’t use a password to log in to windows then leave it as is.

This is how my settings look when using the folder set up in the earlier pic. Sorry for my shitty phone pic :/

Spoiler for image:

Once your satisfied click Back. That’s it. Simply return to video and hit “b” untill you reach the file root and find your share.
    ====================================================================

=============================UPDATE=================================
    I found smb options in some emulators as well, like Snes9x GX. using this same method of file sharing you can load all your roms from a remote PC. Just look for network options in your emulators.

Organized_Chaos is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

This is nice. I've been putting all my movies on an external hard drive and either connecting it to my Bluray player or my Wii... I like this a lot better.

Thanks!

i'm glad it helped

Dookie is offline Senior Member -Hacks God

Anyway to get this working on linux? Tried getting it to work just now to no avail

Stickied btw
    XBL - PhantomRampage - PSN

Quote Originally Posted by Dookie View Post
    Anyway to get this working on linux? Tried getting it to work just now to no avail

Stickied btw
    i'm not really sure how fileshare works on linux. like i said before, i just used the same method to set up smb share with xbmc. i'll check out xbmc's manual and update the op when i get to my comp.

thanx for the sticky btw