Thread: One of my friends on msn says he is using his X360 as a Linux server..

psphackr is offline -Hacks Ninja

ANd no he's not doing it with the King Kong exploit either.

Of course, I don't know this guy in real life. He is someone I met online so he could be lying.

But here is a log of what was said:

Code:
    Andrew says:
    I turned my Xbox 360 into a Linux server
    DracoAzule says:
     WIth the king kong exploit?
    Andrew says:
     No...
     I am not a noob... or a script kiddy...
     I used GentooX
    DracoAzule says:
     *shrugs*  ALl I know is their hypervisor keeps anything and everything not signed by them from running
    Andrew says:
     I get paid to work with computers and server networking techology...
     Yes, but they can't block the boot sector of a BIOS/CMOS or the hard drive
    So what do you guys think?

Xbox 360: iXtreme LT+; RRoD
    PSP: 6.35 PRO
    iPhone 3GS: iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken with greenpois0n

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

It can only be a pre-2007 model, with the exploitable Kernel, and was NEVER, EVER updated. Even the new Cygnos or Infectus can't get past the Hypervisor. There are two specific Kernels that are exploitable, to run Linux, for the King Kong exploit.

The way that is worded:
    I get paid to work with computers and server networking techology...
    Yes, but they can't block the boot sector of a BIOS/CMOS or the hard drive
    No way man, he's completely full of shit, because there is no booting from the Hard Drive, or you 100% need one to use the 360, period! There is no CMOS in the XB360 either, it's all flash based, and self configuring when it boots, from encrypted boot-rom (in flash). That is why there is no Clock and Calendar memory retention after so many hours of it being unplugged from the wall! That person is lying through their teeth, well, that's all you can lie through, since all hot-air you blow-hard out, has to pass by them...

HOWEVER, even with the King Kong exploit, you still cannot get past the Hypervisor, that also means no access to the Hardware Acceleration of the GPU. No one has done it yet, so some person who, just because he's, umm, PAID to work with computers, says he did it? Nope, he is is just a hype creating LIAR.

On top of all that, If what THAT person said WERE even remotely true, then he would be running backups without any DVD flashing or modification. He woudl be running Emulators, and so on. He, as a, whatever he is, would be ALL OVER THAT, you can bet on it. So, with all that, he turns it into JUST a Linux SERVER? Yeah, right...

I got a piece of the Brooklyn bridge I want to sell...

Maybe he had an exploitable kernel and used it to get the cpu key. Then once he got that he flashed whatever chip holds the boot sequence with his own boot sequence and had it load up his own kernel. Theoretically it's very possible if you have the know how and the equipment.

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by psphackr
    Maybe he had an exploitable kernel and used it to get the cpu key. Then once he got that he flashed whatever chip holds the boot sequence with his own boot sequence and had it load up his own kernel. Theoretically it's very possible if you have the know how and the equipment.
    It is a LIE, believe it if you want.

The Cygnos allows you do boot a alternate Kernel, and that's on PRE 2007 models.

Where is the boot sequence, anyone?

You cannot access the boot flash-rom, it's been tried *FAIL*

Having an exploitable Kernel is one thing, what you are believing, is another...

Then again, no one has believed me before, and NOTHING happened, yeah...

Heh. Oh well whatever. I think I pretty much disproved him and shot down his over inflated ego with one stone. I told him that if it were possible, that the guy who wrote the Kreon firmware for the Phillips PC DVD drives would have figured it out and posted it. Either him or the guys who make iXtreme. ANd he said something like "Yea because you believe everything you see on the net." like he didn't believe stuff like that existed. I had alot of fun disproving him with screenshots from my pc and a video I took with my cell phone of me running a backup on my console. lol

troy2000 is offline -Hacks Ninja

Way to go! xD

(Am I losing my mind, did I really just say that in such an un-troy2000-like tone??)

I have encountered many users like him. Ask for proof, and he provides excuses. Show him proof to the contrary, and he ignores you.