Thread: New Xbox 360 Dev Kits with 1GB RAM, X-Engine

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Microsoft has shipped a new Xbox 360 development kit to studios earlier this year. One striking difference was the inclusion of one-gigabyte of RAM. No, Microsoft will not be releasing a new Xbox 360s with more memory to the public; this new kit makes development a little easier.

Like the PlayStation 3 1GB development kits, the extra memory can be used to properly test games. This was a problem for Xbox 360 developers before, since extra memory from the 512MB pool would have to be put aside to test the game engine. Developers could disable these test features in order to use this spare memory, but that would mean that they wouldn't easily be able to test their game.

Something else might have surprised developers when they received their new Xbox 360 development kit; a new set of tools, or more accurately a new development engine. According to an insider source, Microsoft has been working on a new Xbox 360 engine, which has been nick-named the X-Engine.

The source explains that Sony's PlayStation 3 tools (named Edge) have been picking up steam, and are now taking true advantage of the platform's technology, especially the CPU, Kutaragi-san's infamous Cell. As for the Xbox 360, it was lacking an engine that took advantage of it in the same way; a hole Microsoft hopes to plug with their new X-Engine. The engine isn't just a new set of special effects; it's actually a whole new way to develop for the system: a new first party engine design.

imported_Dookie is offline -Hacks Neophyte

Sounds interesting. So this could possibly push the current limits of a 360 correct?
    ---------------------XBL - PhantomRampage - PSN-----------------------

Makes game development easy, and some companies say the XB360 has already been maxed...

Yeah i've heard about that latter before, thats why i was thinking this new 'x-engine' would rejuvenate the system. I guess that was wishful thinking though

Rejuvenate what systems? Not ours, the end user, no way... All it does is make games easier to develop, as it is for the DEV KITs, as the detail says...

Quote Originally Posted by I
    The source explains that Sony's PlayStation 3 tools (named Edge) have been picking up steam, and are now taking true advantage of the platform's technology, especially the CPU, Kutaragi-san's infamous Cell. As for the Xbox 360, it was lacking an engine that took advantage of it in the same way; a hole Microsoft hopes to plug with their new X-Engine. The engine isn't just a new set of special effects; it's actually a whole new way to develop for the system: a new first party engine design.
    It helps us NOT, well, maybe in getting games out faster, who knows...

That's why i said it was wishful thinking.

I misunderstood the first post