Thread: Xbox backup

tkoa is offline -Hacks Newbie

Is it normal for some games to copy/burn in 15 minutes and others to take an hour and twenty minutes?

Thanks,
    TKOA

imported_uron1000 is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

An average burn for an xbox 360 backup at 2.4x takes around 45 mins

the only way the speed would increase is burning at a faster speed like 8x which should take about 15-20 mins
    http://www.aissystem.com/1004
    http://www.citricautocash.com
    http://www.forex-reviewer.co.uk
    http://www.citrixautocash.co.uk

I usually burn at 8x which takes about 15-20 mins like you said, but lately some of the games automaticly drop down to 0.8x to 1.0x speed while copying or burn which takes over an hour. Usually when copying if it drops down and take and hour to copy to the computer it also takes that long to burn no matter what I set the burn speed too. Is it something I'm doing or not doing?

Thanks!

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

If your PC is busy, or busy with other file access, the burn speed drops because of buffer under-runs; it is not good if it keeps up to a point where it TAKES an hour...

When burning, to prevent too much jitter or other irregularities that can be detectable: You should not run ANYTHING while you are burning a game. It should be a steady for example; 4x burn all the way through, with no drops or increases in speeds. Since all new drives have under-run protection now, the write laser is actually SHUT OFF during that condition. When the buffer is full again, it turns the write laser back on, and begins writing where it left off. This is also a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on the laser diode. IF you burn a movie, and this happens way too often, you can see the effects in the movie with distortions and random pixellations, or jumps.

Pick a speed that will be constant, and keep with it. If 8x is too fast, because the PC can't shoot DATA to the drive buffer in time; then go 4x. Also, a good tip; your Writer should not be on the same IDE controller as the source drive either. I never put an optical drive on the same cable as the HDD, it also reduces overall performance of the HDD because your UDMA speed is only as fast as the slowest device on the controller. SO, if you have a UDMA 100 drive, with a UDMA33 optical drive on it, well you just raped your HDDs performance.

If you have SATA controllers, then your best performance gains will be HDDs on the SATA ports, and your writers on IDE ports, in fact thats' exactly how mine are set now, and I burn at 16x DVD speeds with NO issues at all. There are no SATA DVD writers that take full advantage of the speeds anyway, so there is no reason to have SATA writers until the speeds get up into the 60x write speed areas.

You got to figure, most IDE writers are UDMA66 at most, with 24x write speeds (24x1.32 MB/s). In theory, a SATA writer would be UDMA150, and should be at 48x write speeds and higher, and they are not.. SO, there is no point in using a SATA writer unless it's Blu-ray, where data speed is crucial, as a 2x (2x4.5 MB/s) BR-D writer is just about equivalent to a 8x IDE DVD write speed, so you don't need a SATA DVD burner. Regular CD-Rs have topped out at about 52x write.... Sata is just easier to connect drives to, with no jumper configuration needed to configure slave and master, the bios takes care of it the same way it does with USB devices.

Also? By the time DVD write speeds are fast enough for needing to actually use SATA? They'll be phased out, as they plan on phasing out DVD by 2011, which is going to be tough.

Thanks for the reply. It's the only thing running on the computer and the cdrom is on a IDE by itself and the hard drivers are sata. It's funny, it's only certain games. I just did Transformers 2 and it took an hour and 12 mins. then burned call of duty for in 17 mins.

Thanks