Thread: Custom kernel running on the 360 through JTAG hack! No joke!

psphackr is offline -Hacks Ninja

I found this on the front page of xbox-scene.com

freeBOOT v0.02 - runs unsigned XEX and more! Homebrew XDK!

>> Ikari360 released a new version of freeBOOT. This new version of the 'rebooter' will launch right into a patched version the latest MS dash (8955) and will now also work on Zephyr and Jasper-16mb console (next to the original support for Xenon and Falcon).
    But the even bigger news in this v0.02 is that the kernel is patched! No more XEX signature checks, LIVE/PIRS signature checks and Harddisk authentication ... which basically makes homebrew XDK possible on retail Xbox 360!
    freeBOOT must be installed on a 2nd 'NAND' ... but next to Cygnos360 v2 support, it will now also work with Cygnos360 v1 and the (homebrew) xD-card mod!
    But of course, this still requires the JTAG hack, so it's only possible on Xbox360 consoles where the onboard NAND has never been updated (via any normal MS procedure) to 849x (July 09) or newer. If you updated to anything over 7371, your first stage bootloader has been updated and CB-fuse burned, so the JTAG hack won't work anymore and there's no way to downgrade for now.
    However if you're still on 7371 (or anything lower), you can now 'reboot' that console into a patched 8955. Your onboard NAND stays untouched on 7371 and freeBOOT/XeLL/patched-8955 are located on the 2nd NAND. The fuses are no problem anymore either as freeBOOT will use 'virtual fuses' to launch 8955.
    It's called a 'rebooter' because it uses the JTAG hack to boot your console into XeLL and from there it 'reboots' your console into the patched 8955 kernel.

From the readme:

freeBOOT is a rebooter for the Microsoft Xbox 360. This version of freeBOOT allows you to reboot into kernel 2.0.8955 on all Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, and Jasper consoles with 16MB flashes, which are vulnerable to the JTAG hack.
    Support for Opus and Jasper consoles with larger flashes will follow soon.
    As freeBOOT needs a second flash memory to store kernel 2.0.8955 and associated data, either a Cygnos360 or an xD card mod is required at the moment.

II. Bug Fixes
    * Harddisk installation and save game/profile issues have been fixed

III. New Features
    * updated to kernel 8955
    * additional support for Zephyr and Jasper consoles with 16MB flashes
    * support for xD card mod and Cygnos360 V1 added
    * Harddisk authentication disabled
    The Xbox 360 will now accept any SATA harddisk.
    * removed XEX signature checks
    Execution of unsigned devkit and retail XEXes is now possible. Encrypted devkit XEXes must be decrypted with XexTool(info) prior to use.
    * removed LIVE/PIRS signature checks
    The dashboard will now run applications from unsigned LIVE/PIRS containers.
    * extendable patch system
    Researchers/hackers can now try new patches easily. Please refer to "src\patches_kernel_8955.S" for more information.

VI. What's Next
    * support for Opus consoles and Jasper consoles with large flashes
    * further removal of security system restrictions
    * easier build process
    :D

Xbox 360: iXtreme LT+; RRoD
    PSP: 6.35 PRO
    iPhone 3GS: iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken with greenpois0n

AdmiralXA is offline -Hacks Newbie

Big deal, the Wii has Bannerbomb, Twilight hack, Smashhack etc. I want a software-only method of doing this. OR, something simple (as simple as the PSP Pandora battery method). Personally, I do not want to have to use JTAG. I have Zephyr, 7131 I think the dash is. I've read that depending on my CB, I might be able to do it but won't know UNTIL I HAVE IT ALL SOLDERED. As that is the only way to get my CPU key and CB version. Anyone know an easier way for my Zephyr, please let me know.

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralXA
    Big deal, the Wii has Bannerbomb, Twilight hack, Smashhack etc. I want a software-only method of doing this. OR, something simple (as simple as the PSP Pandora battery method). Personally, I do not want to have to use JTAG. I have Zephyr, 7131 I think the dash is. I've read that depending on my CB, I might be able to do it but won't know UNTIL I HAVE IT ALL SOLDERED. As that is the only way to get my CPU key and CB version. Anyone know an easier way for my Zephyr, please let me know.
    Keep wanting, the way the technology is for the PS3 and XB360, makes a software solution impossible.

Suggested reading: TYPE I HYPERVISOR.

AND, if you cannot grasp any of that, you won't learn ANYTHING. You can talk about this all you want, but till you know what's what, you look like a damn fool.

Also? 'Bout a MONTH late with your comment....

psphackr is offline -Hacks Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralXA
    Do what I did and sell your wii, then buy a pre jtaged system off ebay.

The only reason I had my wii is for the emulators, and Rock Band 2 custom DLC. As for games, there weren't many at all that interested me. And the ones that interested me couldn't be taken very seriously because of the childish looking graphics. But now that they've got the same shit on a much more powerful system that has games I'm actually interested in, it was a no brainer.

Xbox 360: iXtreme LT+; RRoD
    PSP: 6.35 PRO
    iPhone 3GS: iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken with greenpois0n