Thread: DVD Firmware and Homebrew

RaveN8403 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hi, As I understand it the dvd firmware does redirects so the correct pfi.. etc is read from a backup disc, would it not be possible to get the firmware to redirect xex reads after the file has been signature checked in order to run homebrew xex files from the disc, or is it completely loaded into memory and run from there for the remainder of the game play...

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

No, the firmware doesn't detect PFI, Wave, and all that stuff. YOU are required to make the BACKUP with all the correct information, that's called STEALTH backups. Anything else, gets you banned. It as nothing to do with the XEX file(s).

You cannot run homebrew on CFW, it doesn't work that way, not at all.

Thanks, I've been backing up my games for a while, I Was thinking more down the line of, timing the disc read that once the xex has been verified, the drive can redirect reads to another xex or linux loader etc... This would not work if the HV loads the complete game xex and runs it from memory obviously...

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

If that were the case, it would have been done already, AND was also gone over by the pros. IT took them THIS long to be able to JTAG units because of the security implemented, and is still a limited install. You have to have an exploitable Kernal, and a certain type of motherboard for it... Once you have updated to and past 8xxx, you can't do it, not yet anyway.

The PS3 is even tighter, as there are NO hacks or exploits, and nothing has really been accomplished there.

I see what you are saying, they haven't been able to get the CFW to jump to another XEX once the primary has been verified, the CFW would need to be written to do that. THEN, you have to get past the HV, as the console WILL expect the security info to match.

IF you want, read how the DVD security works, you'll see why going to another XEX file won't work. I used to have a link for it, so you'll have to search the net for the information.

Thanks will check it out, I Also assume that Known-Plaintext attacks on the 4BL to get the cpu key is not possible?