Thread: PAX 2010: Stepto's Law of Xbox Live ban protests

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

During the Xbox Live Enforcement panel at PAX this past weekend, director of policy and enforcement on Xbox Live, Stephen Toulouse (a.k.a. Stepto), recited "Stepto's Law" for the audience. The complex formula is used to determine the validity of a complaint issued by a banned Xbox Live user. The law goes like this:

"The more convoluted, overwrought and lengthy the protest of innocence, the probability of it being bullshit approaches one."

ERIFNOMI is offline oops -Hacks Titan

So, you just need to complain by saying "Hey! {gamertag here} is a prick and I want his ass banned cause he's better than me!} rather than something honest. "Dear sir/madam,
    The XBOX LIVE player, {gamertag here}, appears to be cheating and/or breaking the rules that they agreed to when signing up for the service."
    I don't really like Microsoft sometimes...

NO, they're saying the LONGER you yap and yap (Protest) about being banned for no reason, the more they will think you're full of shit...

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave
    NO, they're saying the LONGER you yap and yap (Protest) about being banned for no reason, the more they will think you're full of shit...
    Oh. Did you read the story of the guy who was suspended because he lived in Fort Gay, WV?
    http://kotaku.com/5632871/xbox-live-...yline=true&s=i

Heh, Microsoft... And, err, this Politically correct bullshit.

If you're fat, you're FAT, not Gravitationally Challenged.

You won't see me being politically correct, EVER... Call it like it is...

Gamer suspended over name of W.Va. town: Fort Gay

Microsoft Corp. and the chief rules enforcer for Xbox Live are apologizing to a small West Virginia town and a 26-year-old gamer accused of violating the online gaming service's code of conduct by publicly declaring he's from Fort Gay - a name the company considered offensive.

The town's name is real. But when Moore tried to tell Seattle-based Microsoft and the enforcement team at Xbox Live, they wouldn't take his word for it. Or Google it. Or check the U.S. Postal Service website for a ZIP code.

Instead, they suspended his gaming privileges for a few days until Moore could convince them the location in his profile, "fort gay WV," wasn't a joke or a slur: It's an actual community of about 800 in Wayne County, along West Virginia's western border with Kentucky.

Stephen Toulouse, director of policy and enforcement for Xbox Live said that was a miscommunication.
    "Someone took the phrase 'fort gay WV' and believed that the individual who had that was trying to offend, or trying to use it in a pejorative manner," Toulouse said. "Unfortunately, one of my people agreed with that. ... When it was brought to my attention, we did revoke the suspension."

I would be pissed. He had paid for two years of LIVE and suspended him for that? He paid for it; they should try a little harder before basically costing him money. I have a section of a song in my bio and they wouldn't let me put fuck in it so I did something link F---ing; am I going to be suspended? Makes you think...

luizsu6y7 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Instead, they suspended his gaming privileges for a few days until Moore could convince them the location in his profile, "fort gay WV," wasn't a joke or a slur: It's an actual community of about 800 in Wayne County, along West Virginia's western border with Kentucky.