Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Xbox 360 update incompatible with some models, MS offering replacements

Ryu
    Ryu is offline Super Mod of the Brood -Hacks Titan

Default New Xbox 360 update incompatible with some models, MS offering replacements

some older 360 WILL NOT work anymore (fully) after the new update
    New Xbox 360 update incompatible with some models, MS offering replacements

by Alexander Sliwinski on May 18th 2011 9:23AM

Microsoft has confirmed that some Xbox 360 consoles won't be happy with the upcoming, mandatory firmware update. The console manufacturer will replace consoles that become unable to read retail game discs -- once anti-piracy measures are enabled -- with a new Xbox 360 S with 250 GB hard drive.

"Following a recent update to our system software, we have become aware of an issue that is preventing a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs," a Microsoft statement provided to Eurogamer reads. "This issue manifests itself a as a unique 'disc unreadable' or 'disc unsupported' error on the screen. We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox Live and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console."

The firmware update implements new anti-piracy measures (along with a 1GB bump in disc storage capacity) that apparently don't play nice with certain DVD drives. Given that the Xbox 360 has had several revisions to its guts over the years, this is the reason why only certain models will be affected.

We've contacted Microsoft to find out what North American consumers should do if their console is incompatible with the update. European consumers have been told to go to Microsoft's general support page.

PSP 1.5 got on USA first day is was 1.5 NOW 4.01 M33-2 -> 5.00 M33-6(1.50 addon),
    Old PS3s: PS3 60GB FW:3.41(2nd ps3 YLoD, 1st, YLoD)
    New PS3:
    Slim 160gb 01-21-2011 Working
    was 3.40 OFW->3.60 OFW

2nd PSP : PHAT 5.50 GEN-D2
    3rd PSP : Sliver 3000 Starting OFW:4.20 (NEW bought NEW on 11/28/2010)
    It a good idea to have "Hide extensions for known file types" in Folder Options(under Tool) unchecked (turn on extensions)

3DS FC:0301-9790-8019

kamenrider is offline Senior Member -Hacks Titan

So that's the hitachi drives I guess? They're not going to replace if warranty sticker's not intact

Joe88 is offline -Hacks Titan

im guessing the lower hitachi drives
    my 79 works

I have a 360 from launch day that is untouched
    so if I install this update and if the drive doesnt support it, no games should work?

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

They knew this was going to happen from the start.

This new firmware doesn't just open up the additional 1GB of space previously set aside for the outdated, compromised security scheme - it features a completely brand new anti-piracy mechanism. In the past, previous attempts to foil piracy (such as AP 2.5) only worked on certain drives, with the feature disabled if you had older hardware. With the new system, it seems that the anti-piracy measures are so deeply embedded that they cannot simply be skipped in the same way.

Mister Eff is offline Gone fishin -Hacks God

Quote Originally Posted by kamenrider View Post
    They're not going to replace if warranty sticker's not intact
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Xbox-3...item4aab3c9760

Jsamp is offline Outa time -Hacks Titan

I have an old 360 here thats has the 3lod and is out of warranty. I might have to crack it open to see what drive it has. I have a flashed 360 that I keep offline wouldnt mind a brand new 360. I might even just try and send it in and see what happens. Its jtag'able Im almost certain but I dont really care about that.

JTAGable if it still has the old BLADE style dashboard. All NXE and up, are not JTAGable.

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
    JTAGable if it still has the old BLADE style dashboard. All NXE and up, are not JTAGable.
    7357, 63 and 71 are all NXE dashes. 7371 is the last dashboard that can use the JTAG exploit - with a compatible CB.

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

Joe88 is offline -Hacks Titan

http://majornelson.com/2011/05/18/cl...ome-confusion/

now major nelson is saying its for the last update not the XDG3 one (or beta)

Then why were Hitachi drives left out in Beta? They say across all models of XB360, yes, but not all DVD drives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast