Thread: Thinking of migrating

Nikko is offline -Hacks Newbie

Default Thinking of migrating

Right now, I have a PS3, jailbroken myself (it's pretty damn easy) with a small HDD (60 GB). The PS3 hacking community seems slow in terms of the new games out for the latest versions (DiRT 3, for example) or did I just lose interest. I live in Brazil, and things aren't cheap here. I was going to buy a bigger hard drive so I can fit more games into it, but my friend and cousin have an Xbox 360 and plays burnt games on it.

So instead of buying a new hard drive for my PS3, it came to my mind to sell it and move on to Xbox.

Should I? Is modding the Xbox easier, harder or not much of a difference? Can I play the newest burnt games on no matter what system version I have (I was browsing around for a bit and saw a lot of the words "firmware", "BIOS", "flashing", etc. Sounded too difficult for me already. This post is getting too big.

So should I move on, or not? I'd love replies from users who had experiences with both consoles.

Sorry if this topic has been brought up many times.

Demonchild is offline #thatguy -Hacks Titan

The X360 scene does indeed move faster than the PS3. The scene also is split between users who have jtagged Xboxes (for homebrew) and those who make use of the iXtreme DVD firmware. For those who have jtagged Xboxes, they don't have to worry about the newest updates killing their abilities to play downloaded games and backups since they can directly modify the disc image to remove the dashboard update / AP2.5 checks and have tools readily available to bypass it.

As for those using the iXtreme DVD firmware, they are able to go online with their backups provided that they are properly patched with ABGX360. It doesn't take long for a game to be available for patching through ABGX as all it takes is a rip from an original disc. (In which there's tools available for that) There has been occasional times where a dashboard update has stopped us from going online (or got us banned) but the workaround usually follows up in the coming months.

Guide for M33 firmwares | Install DCv8 |PS3 Hacking Thread

PSP: 6.60 PRO-B10 | PS3: 4.30 | Xbox: LT+ v3.0 [Li-On] | G2x: CM 7.2 Nightly
    Twitter

Thanks for the information.

Both jtag and iXtreme firmware require hardware changes, correct? Oh, I'm not much of an online person, and what hard drives can I use cause I've read somewhere that there needs to be a specific hard drive type? Which one's easier?

I was thinking of buying an Xbox 360 slim Arcade (the price of an Arcade here is about the price of an Elite in the states or more [most likely more]) with 4GB (not sure what type of internal storage) and then install a hard drive, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
    Thanks for the information.

Both jtag and iXtreme firmware require hardware changes, correct? Oh, I'm not much of an online person, and what hard drives can I use cause I've read somewhere that there needs to be a specific hard drive type? Which one's easier?

I was thinking of buying an Xbox 360 slim Arcade (the price of an Arcade here is about the price of an Elite in the states or more [most likely more]) with 4GB (not sure what type of internal storage) and then install a hard drive, if possible.
    Yes. Jtag requires a specific dashboard version (7371 or lower). If it is 8955 or higher, your unit won't be jtaggable leaving iXtreme as your only option. The iXtreme DVD firmware works independent of the dashboard and it does require reflashing your DVD drive. It doesn't require any soldering but may need some extra pieces of hardware depending on the type of drive that you have.

I'm not too knowledgeable on adding third party hard drives. I only know how to prep them for the Xbox. Other than that, I'm lost on which manufacturer to go with. However, the basics of buying them is that you need a 2.5" SATA hard drive no bigger than 250GB.

If I was you, I would suggest the Slim just because its newer and less prone to catching the RROD. However, it is harder to open and the iXtreme firmware is moving slower because of the type of drive in there. If you buy one brand new, you will more than likely get a Slim with a Liteon 0225/0401 (which will need an unlocked PCB on top of the necessary tools to connect it to your computer) or even worse - a Hitachi 0500 - the oddball drive.

As for the Phats, those are more easier to open and all the drives are flashable more or less and the firmwares are released for Phat drives first. However, if the console is on its way out, you can catch a RROD. I bought a refurb Phat Arcade from Gamestop last year that went to Microsoft and so far its still running strong. Let's hope that it stays that way.

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Demonchild View Post
    Yes. Jtag requires a specific dashboard version (7371 or lower). If it is 8955 or higher, your unit won't be jtaggable leaving iXtreme as your only option. The iXtreme DVD firmware works independent of the dashboard and it does require reflashing your DVD drive. It doesn't require any soldering but may need some extra pieces of hardware depending on the type of drive that you have.

I'm not too knowledgeable on adding third party hard drives. I only know how to prep them for the Xbox. Other than that, I'm lost on which manufacturer to go with. However, the basics of buying them is that you need a 2.5" SATA hard drive no bigger than 250GB.

If I was you, I would suggest the Slim just because its newer and less prone to catching the RROD. However, it is harder to open and the iXtreme firmware is moving slower because of the type of drive in there. If you buy one brand new, you will more than likely get a Slim with a Liteon 0225/0401 (which will need an unlocked PCB on top of the necessary tools to connect it to your computer) or even worse - a Hitachi 0500 - the oddball drive.

As for the Phats, those are more easier to open and all the drives are flashable more or less and the firmwares are released for Phat drives first. However, if the console is on its way out, you can catch a RROD. I bought a refurb Phat Arcade from Gamestop last year that went to Microsoft and so far its still running strong. Let's hope that it stays that way.
    I've never really messed with anything hardware specific like, but I guess it's fairly easy if no soldering is involved.

Crap, the RROD still exists? I remember that happening to my friend's Xbox years ago. What are the chances of getting it on the phat? The slim?

Does anyone know if I buy a Xbox 360 Arcade slim, I can install a hard drive in it? I'm asking that because the arcade comes with 4GB storage, and I don't know if it's a hard drive or.. I just don't know.

Also, thanks for all the useful information.

I've never really messed with anything hardware specific like, but I guess it's fairly easy if no soldering is involved.

Crap, the RROD still exists? I remember that happening to my friend's Xbox years ago. What are the chances of getting it on the phat? The slim?

Does anyone know if I buy a Xbox 360 Arcade slim, I can install a hard drive in it? I'm asking that because the arcade comes with 4GB storage, and I don't know if it's a hard drive or.. I just don't know.

Yeah, the RROD still exists. The chances are lowered in the newer consoles. However, the RROD is still used to denote other system failures such as HD/DVD errors, etc. And yes, you can still install a hard drive into the Slim. (Either official or a prepped third party drive)

Twitter

Alright, got most of my questions answered. I'm really looking forward to buying an Xbox, just need to sell my PS3 games and I might keep the PS3. Don't know yet. I was going to take a look into PC gaming, but it just seems too risky. The price for performance compared to consoles is just too much and mainly because I love racing sims and occasionally offline multiplayer games. Thanks, again. I would give more rep but I guess I can't give em all to you at once. ;]

Branndons is offline -Hacks Newbie

You should get arcade and use an external harddrive or something. I used that and it was great! And its cheeper so modding it would be a better idea incase something goes wrong.