Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kinect connector pinout

Channing is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hello Guys....!
    I am looking for kinect connector pinout, i looked in the usual pinout websites with no luck so any help would be appreciated as i need to build a couple of adapters to use bundled kinect units with older consoles.i cant belive that in a great technical forum like this, no one have this information ?? Thanks in advance.

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Yeah right, going to ask for what's right in front of your face...

Spam?

snigel is offline -Hacks Newbie

ka some one show how to make this adaptor step by step

Quote Originally Posted by snigel
    ka some one show how to make this adaptor step by step
    There is no TUTORIAL out there that I saw, just use the diagram and look at the pictures! You can splice in a power supply & USB plug. You need a volt meter for continuity, so you can map out the 12V power pins. Then map out the USB portion. This is so you can splice in a 12V power pig-tail, and a USB pig-tail. There are no OEM Kinect plugs out there for sale, the person who did this got one from M$.

If you are not good at this kind of stuff, or have no real grasp of the procedures, then do not bother. It is not just something ANYONE can do, it is not a NOVICE project.

snigel is offline -Hacks Newbie

i made the plug and have 12v+ &12- adaptor but the adaptor only have two wires +&- [img]where go the grounds

Annabelle is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave
    Quote Originally Posted by ubeyou
    thanks for the info, anyway, is that a must to use a 12V power supply of an external HDD?
    I got an extra 12V power supply(from unknown device).
    I said you use that TYPE of supply, as long as it's 12V, at about 1 amp, or 1000mAs. You don't want to put a 12V at more than 1.5 amps to the unit. The 12V is for the motor that positions the camera, it doesn't have to be a high amp supply. I don't know what power supply you set on using, but it doesn't need to be anything fancy.

I am not totally clear on the AMPS, but it can't be too high, I would guess not more than 2Amps total...
    Does this rule about 'not too many amps' to the Kinect on the 12v rail also apply, if you power it from a PC Power Supply, instead of a wall-wart AC to DC Adapter?

I thought that DC Devices only pull as many amps as they need?

I'm building a custom Xbox 360 case (for them old fat 360's).
    The Xbox 360 mobo will get it's power from an internal standard ATX Power Supply, instead of the stock power brick that comes with the console.

I was hoping to add a Kinect Port (I'm gonna have some made) to the back of the case, and connect it to the rear usb port for data and 5v,
    and run a line inside the case from the ATX PSU to supply the 12v.

For example, I have a PC Power supply that can put out up to 36 amps on the 12 volt rail.
    If I go this route, will it burn out the Kinect?

The connection between USB Out and USB in will be external; a short dual-male Type A usb cable.

The connection between USB In and the Kinect port (as well as the +12v lines) will be wired internally. (unless this will break my kinect)

1000mA or 1 AMP should be fine. If you can find a REAL Kinect supply, it should say what the specs are.

You get the 5V from USB, the 12V has to come from the supply, and does NOT go anywhere except into the Kiniect. It dos not feed back to the console, unless you use the USB ground, so DO NOT use that, use the power supply + ad - leads only, for the 12V connection.

So, are you saying that this won't work, because since my PC PSU can put out up to 36 AMPS on the 12v rail,
    the Kinect will try to pull all 36 amps, instead of only taking what it needs?

Man, that's pretty weird!
    I wonder why MS designed the Kinect that way...

Maybe so they could sell wall-warts...?

The kinect has a MOTOR in it, and the LASER system needs the 12V power; is why they did it this way.

DO NOT push 36 amps through it. Find an old external HDD power supply or something, and use that. It should not be more than 2 AMPS.

AH, I see.
    They left it up to the External Power Brick or the 360s to do the voltage regulation.
    So I'll just have to have a voltage regulator made, that will tap off of the 12v, X amp line from a PC PSU,
    and will only allow no more than 2 amps to pass through it.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast