Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to install and run Windows XP from Xbox 360 Ubuntu Linux

troy2000 is offline -Hacks Ninja

Let me start by apologizing to everyone for the long wait for this particular tutorial. I'm sure many of you would understand what its like, saying to yourself "Today it'll definitely be done, today it'll definitely be done" constantly, and it never gets done! ;). So here it is at last. Almost a month after the placeholder.

I would like to get all of this into one page in MS Word, so I'd better get right to the point :D.

First, you will need to install Qemu. There are various commands for this, depending on the Linux OS you are using, but assuming you have basic knowledge of the system, you will know what they are or where to find them. I will be posting links to lists of commands used in this tutorial at the end of the page.
    Once Qemu is installed and you have a terminal window open, its time to get going. To get Windows installed and to have it run at near usable speed, you will need a compacted and reduced version of Windows XP, so that less resources are required. I recommend TinyXP. I can't give you a URL for copyright reasons, but you will find it in the "usual places". It normally comes in the form of an ISO file which you must burn to CD using an app such as Alcohol 120%. When this CD is burned, insert it in your Xbox 360 DVD drive.
    Now its time to install it. This is really quite easy, but there are a few long commands to be entered first. In order for your OS to install, it must have what is called a VHD (Virtual Hard Disc). Lets create a 3.5GB VHD right now, so type:

qemu-img xp.img 3.5G

Great! Now your Windows installer has somewhere to install to, so lets get it installing :). Type:

qemu -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda xp.img

Your Windows CD should now be booting. From here, simply install it the same way you would on your PC.
    Assuming all went well, the installation is now complete, and all you need to do is type this command to boot into TinyXP:

qemu -hda xp.img -boot c

Well... Thats it for now. Have fun with your new Xbox/PC ;).

BTW: I know this looks a little short, but remember, there are still optimization instructions to be added soon.

imported_Camel is offline -Hacks Veteran

Super Duper Dude.

imported_YoYoBallz is offline -Hacks Newbie

I would love to see screenshots of this

imported_Silentnite2608 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Bumping this since this will be a big hit once a tut is release willing to help all i can

imported_PasKiN is offline -Hacks Newbie

I wonder if he is telling the truth :o

lol. :D. I have a temporary link in the first post for a qemu tutorial. The commands are exactly the same. I'm writing this tutorial as I speak (well, type ;)), so expect it very soon.

EDIT: Its up!

imported_renegade is offline -Hacks Smarty

Hey, just joined the community, so I've got some reading to do about this stuff, but what would windows on 360 be used for exactly?

Srry for the noob question :P gunna go do some reading now lol

Almost anything you like can be run on it. Aside from 3D games (and most 2D ones :P).

Midian is offline -Hacks Veteran

its wierd, now if only you can make a patch so that it can load pc games from cd-rom and play the games (2d or 3d) and you can use internet. now that would be kick @$$ lets see the ps3 top this!
    :::::All my obstacles have disappeared. I am God of this new world. -Light ep:25:::::
    ::::JOIN http://www.reticentreprisal.freeforums.org/ NOW!!!!::::

J666GAK is offline -Hacks Newbie

Hey, Troy this is just what I have been looking for!!!

I want an In Car PC... and as I have a 360 laying about, I thought there must be some way of getting Windows on it. I had thought I of just using Linux, but Centrafuse only runs on Windows.

WHat is the spped of the O/S like? Did you have any issues when setting up Win XP? does it pick-up the wireless adpater?

I have already planned the power and cooling side, I just needed to find a way to get Win XP on it.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast