Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adding a fan WITHOUT DRILLING into the Motherboard

ST@TIC29 is offline -Hacks Newbie

ok first off i do not take responsibilty for what u do with this information, if it works great! but if it messes wit ur box dont come cry to me!! and read the whole thing before trying anything

ok now with that out the way lets start :D :

1) buy a fan i got my for R30 ( which is like 3 dollars ).
    make sure it says 'DC 12V' on it, mine was 0.16A but dont think that matters:/.
    it doesnt matter what the end is like u will be cutting it off just make sure it has
    2 wires comming from the fan ( TWO ).here is the one i bought a 80mm KMEX fan but it was a bit large so it hangs off the side a bit ( shouldnt matter )

2) ok now cut the end off and strip the wire so they look like below:

make sure u twist the ends tight!!!i mean really tight.

3)ok now open ur xbox 360 ( there are tuts on this ) and just unplug ur fan and take it out.now trace the 1 fan(either one) wires from the fan(red arrow) to the end clip(blue arrow) remember those to colours.

4) now insert the 1 stripped wire into the clip(of the one colour u rememered) for the stock fan, do this to the other clip (of the other colour u remembered )

5)now clip the clip into its place and put the fan back ( note how my colours match on each side,this shouldnt really matter except then ur fan would spin the other way round ,i hope :P )

6)I placed mine on my GPU so here is how:

a)u will need 2 new screws if u are going to do this(if u are using the same fan size as me,if not u will need 4),mine are 10mm long by 4mm wide.
    place the 2 screws in the 2 holes closest to the stock fan.
    now take the fan u bought and screw it down to the gpu,in between the slats of the heatsinc ( making sure the plactic air flow thing is in place other wise u wont beable to move it off ) i know my heatsink is messed :D

note how it does not over lap ( redarrows )

B) now turn it on and see what happens

now u have a extra fan!!!

please post here if u have found this to work, i know mine did :D

next im going to try to redo my entire case in perspex:D

imported_Guest Guest

I did not know that adding a fan initially, DID require you do drill into the motherboard... I have not seen any other fan mods than did require you to drill your mainboard, but I'll look around though... At least people know how to add a fan on to the GPU now, which should help a lot with heat dissipation.

Can you explain a little more in DETAIL, how to fasten it to the GPU? I will add it to the front page as a NEWS item, ok? Any specific model FAN, and where to buy, would also help.

well the ones i found u had to...

can u plz give me the link of the other one??

updated :-D o and i live in South Africa so i dont think we would have the same shops, but any computer store shold have it

imported_jayno20 is offline -Hacks Newbie

I'm guessing when you do this the DVD drive will not be able to sit where it normally does...?

ya thats the only problem..

imported_Guest Guest

RE:DVD drive:

Quote Originally Posted by ST@TIC29
    ya thats the only problem..
    Well, you did not mention that at all dude, that's not cool... I'll have to take that article down, you can't have that kind of problem left over once you add a fan to the mix... There are SMALLER fans, if it were THINNER, would the DVD drive sit where it is? That, or just hardwire your stock internal fans at full...

imported_jayno20 is offline -Hacks Newbie

I dont even think they make fans small enough to fit in there... when i look at mine there is NO room between the GPU heatsink and the bottom of the DVD drive... too bad too because i think this is the single most important place to put a fan...

imported_Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jayno20
    I dont even think they make fans small enough to fit in there... when i look at mine there is NO room between the GPU heatsink and the bottom of the DVD drive... too bad too because i think this is the single most important place to put a fan...
    You can hardwire the internal fans to high. I found that, with that mod he did? The GPU fan is still going to be powered up or down by the machine, because the original fan RPM wire is still in tact, but not only that, the original fan header; so voltage is still varying at the header by the sensor logic. The idea for the cool down, it a full speed fan, which you can get 12V from anywhere inside the case there is a 12V source.

Im really sorry i was just trying to help...

i did this after i had 3RLOD,and tried to fix it with eraser trick,didnt work,xclamp replacement,didnt work,towl trick ,didnt work, then heat gun it worked but over heated every 5 min...

this is how i get it to work...

sorry again if i misslead u

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast