Thread: How To Build A New Xbox 360 DVD Drive (Well, kind of)

troy2000 is offline -Hacks Ninja

A few weeks ago, with my main 360 banned from live, I had to turn to my launch model 360 (not my best decision, I admit ;)). The downside of this being that it had an old 46D drive, and when I had ejected the disc after an hour of playing forza 2, I noticed to my horror a ring of scratched surface, just like what happens when you change the console's position while the disc is spinning. Since the console was never moved this was very odd, and I decided to get a new DVD drive to prevent any more ruined games. Unfortunately, there were none for sale on any UK or Ireland site, so I had to take matters into my own hands.

This tutorial will explain how to use your banned/bricked 360's working DVD drive on a 360 which has a physically damaged drive, or a drive which scratched discs ramdomly. To make sure this is well understood, this tutorial WILL NOT revive a 360 DVD drive which has been bricked by SOFTWARE (aka, firmware flashing) means.

First, open up your non-banned 360 and take out the dvd drive.

(Image credit to DigitalBattle.com)

Remove all metal casing from the drive.

Do the same with your banned Xbox 360.

Turn both drives over, and you will see a circuit board connecting to the laser section and motor section. Carefully, very carefully disconnect these cables and remove the board, there are plastic clips at one side which are pushed down on to pull the board out. Make sure you remove the boards on both Xbox 360s. DO NOT MIX THESE BOARDS UP!!

Now, reconnect the boards to the opposite drives. Banned 360 board to unbanned 360 drive and vise versa. Now re-assemble everything, and you're done :D.

Enjoy your new DVD drive!

UPDATED: Broken image link repaired.

wowsza is offline -Hacks Newbie

you could just get some rubber pads and put them on the top of the inside of your drive.....

troy2000 is offline -Hacks Ninja

I know. This is for more difficult to fix drives. (eg. the laser in my drive kept hitting the disc at random) :)

imported_prizesinferno is offline -Hacks Newbie

So could i essentially do this to put in a hitachi or samsung drive to replace my beng phillips drive? or is this not the same?

imported_Camel is offline -Hacks Veteran

This is not the same inferno, but yes, its possible to do what you said.

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by prizesinferno
    So could i essentially do this to put in a hitachi or samsung drive to replace my beng phillips drive? or is this not the same?
    IF you could extract the KEYS for BenQ (I posted a whole deal on this subject, SEARCH). Then you could replace the drive, but till they find the locations in the firmware where the keys are, your answer is NO.

There is a reader and writer for the BenQ flash, no hacked firmware.

ronin1983 is offline -Hacks Newbie

so does this method work if i have two samsung m25 drives?

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ronin1983
    so does this method work if i have two samsung m25 drives?
    Yes, if your original logic board is ok, but the drive has suffered mechanical failure, then you should be able so swap it into the good one, IF your bad one has mechanical failure only, that being:

Motor, Laser Diode, Laser Assembly Servo, Eject Mechanism...

If your original drive has a logic failure, then no, you would need to see this post:
    http://www.xbox360-hacks.com/forums/...d=31286#p31286

ronin1983 is offline -Hacks Newbie

thanks. :) i tried and it worked.