Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: XBOX 360 controller led swap

imported_redryno1221 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Does anyone need any help.... [cough]**BUMP**[/cough]

shnargophagus is offline -Hacks Newbie

i thought your tutorial was very useful. I used it to swap the leds in three of my controllers, but my fourth controller is for my elite(which i just bought). I tried swapping the leds in that, but the first led i swapped hardly gave off any light at all. It was the bottom right led. I thought maybe that particular led was defective or something so i tried putting another one on instead. same problem. Just thought i'd ask before i go mess around with it again, cause i don't have the best soldering iron. I guess my question is what can i do to fix it?

shnargophagus is offline -Hacks Newbie

i guess this thread is pretty much dead...oh well i ask somebody else to see if they can help me.

r0b3rt03 is offline -Hacks Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by redryno1221
    Does anyone need any help.... [cough]**BUMP**[/cough]
    Yes. I have done a couple of these so far and the last one I did I overheated and removed the contact completely. I tried to replace it by placing the iron on that spot and then touching the end of the iron with the solder with no success. The solder just runs up the iron and not onto the board. What can I do to replace the contact as the controller looks ridiculous with only 3 LED's.

Thanks

lilunwl is offline -Hacks Newbie

shnargophagus... Couple of things could be an issue. One is a very common issue. It could be that the leds you got are "diffused" which means the lens is clouded rather than clear. When you order the 0603's make sure to get "water clear" rather than diffused. Another thing which is fairly common is either low batteries or high voltage foward voltage requirement.Meaning the LED is calling for more volts than is available make sure that they are atleast a 2.4 forward voltage but definantly not above 3 volts required. The max volts can be more but not the minimum. And I do suggest making sure you are getting the 0603's also. Hope that helps you out.

r0b3rt03...... I have done this exact thing about a half a dozen times when I first started doing the LED swaps. I have done probably around 50 now so I know your feeling. But however I have some good news for you. It is most likely fixable. On the trace Scratch the coating off at the very end where the pad broke off so that you can see the copper on the actual trace. Then bathe the area with flux and get some solder on the iron you are using and lay the solder puddle that is on the iron down. Make sure the copper is showing where you scratched the trace and you should get enough solder to hopefully beable to get the led to reattach. It is a learning curve for sure If you need any further help let me know. I live in ohio if you need someone to help and you live anywhere close I can possibly help you. I do these for people just about every week along with RF so I have been there. Just keep at it and you will get it!!! Good luck!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3