Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "I'm new to modding, just bought a 360." Sounds Like You? Read This.

troy2000 is offline -Hacks Ninja

This is an "all you need to know about..." tutorial for users who have never performed a single Xbox 360 mod before and need to know where to start. I'm writing this because of the massive amount of posts in the "Help" section, from users who want to mod their console, but also want a good start.

Xbox 360 Modding 101

So, you�ve just bought a shiny new Xbox 360 console. You proudly carry the intrusively large box home, all the way holding it over your head like it�s a golden trophy and you�ve just won the lottery. You watch your friends� dumbstruck looks as you walk past them and into your home, bolting the door shut behind you.
    Placing the box on a coffee table in the lounge, you simply sit on your blue-threaded sofa and gaze, almost dreamily at it, wondering whether or not to open the box and enjoy the many good times ahead�

Sorry, but (as a writer) it gave me such a perfect opening. But now, lets get to the point.

Once you have this awesome piece of technological development connected, and wanting to get it modded, you need some info on the methods involved. Here is a quick F.A.Q on modding the Xbox 360:

Q: If I mod my Xbox 360, can I play copied games?

A: Yes, you can.

Q: Is there a way for me to get Xbox LIVE for free?

A: Every Xbox 360 console allows you to create up to five LIVE accounts, each with a one month free trial. Certain Xbox 360 titles will also allow free online gameplay. Beyond that, there is no (legal) way to get free gold membership.

Q: Will I still be able to use Xbox LIVE?

A: Yes, for now. However, the possibility exists that Microsoft may release extra security in coming updates to find and ban you from the LIVE service. Note: This will ban the console, not the Xbox LIVE profile.

Q: I just bought a new Xbox 360, but it has a Lite-On drive! Can I flash it?

A: No, you can not flash the Lite-On drive, as it has no writable on-board flash memory. It is, however, possible to use a device such as the "CK3 Lite" or "CK3 Pro" to extract the Lite-On's drive key. The key may then be flashed to another compatible drive's firmware.

Q: Will I lose my warranty by modding my Xbox 360?

A: Yes. Opening the Xbox 360 console voids the warranty. The definition of voiding the warranty is by removing the small, silver �Microsoft� sticker on the front of the console underneath the faceplate.

Q: Do I ABSOLUTELY have to open the case to mod the console?

A: Yes, there is no other physically possible way to access the internal components.

Q: I have a modded xbox 360 and recently, it has developed a problem. For example: When I power it on, I get sound but no video, or the RRoD. Has my mod messed it up?

A: Mods - and I can not stress this enough - HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH PROBLEMS SUCH AS THE AFORE MENTIONED. Unless you have damaged a component while putting the console back together, it is simply a regular hardware failure.

Q: Is there any risk involved in modding the console?

A: If you follow the tutorials on the site precisely and own the proper hardware, there is very little risk (a mere 16% chance if you like).

Q: When I mod the console, can I play my game backups from the HDD?

A: No, you must use DVD+R DL media. No other media is compatible.

Q: When my Xbox 360 is modded, can I play games from other regions?

A: Short answer: No, with an if. Long Answer: Yes, with a but.
    You can not use the DVD firmware mod to play games from other regions, but if you are good with soldering and modchips, you can buy an InFecTuS V2 chip and change the region of your DVD drive.

Q: With a hacked DVD drive, can I play Xbox1 backups?

A: Certainly, but they must be supported in the backwards compatibility list.

Q: Will a hacked drive allow me to use homebrew/emulators?

A: No, but I suggest you look into XNA.

Here are some pieces of info you�ll need about your console, and where to find them, before you start modding:

1: DVD Drive Brand: By looking at the disc tray and comparing it to this image:

2: DVD Drive Model: By opening the console and examining the sticker on top of the drive. Note: If you have a Hitachi 79FL drive, you will need hardware modification to mod it.

Finally, after you know everything about your console, and the limitations of modding, you may proceed to the Newbie Menu (the link at the top of every page which reads �!LEARN HERE!�).

UPDATES:

14/12/08: Lite-On drive info added - Thank you, Mask3d_Ninja.

Last edited by dbrums; 04-14-2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: updating

fedexman666 is offline -Hacks Newbie

how can i get free xbow live

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Quote Originally Posted by fedexman666
    You can't, and leave it at that.

imported_dragon-x is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

once you've received a new xbox 360 you can sign-up for xbox live via the console only and receive one month free gold membership!

troy2000 is offline -Hacks Ninja

Thanks for the question, Fedexman666 :). That was one of the common questions which I forgot to add.

psphackr is offline -Hacks Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave
    You can't, and leave it at that.
    You can, if it's a Silver account. But with a silver account you can only do allmost everything except play games online, or video chat. I'm getting my silver account over dialup via the internet connection sharing feature in windows, and it's solely for text based chatting and downloading game updates.

Xbox 360: iXtreme LT+; RRoD
    PSP: 6.35 PRO
    iPhone 3GS: iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken with greenpois0n

GwenPrescott is offline -Hacks Newbie

I can still using my Xbox live silver account, so i can still go on Xlive and play online after hacking my xbox360?

Thanks

Powerslave is offline Gone fishin -Hacks Titan

Troy, you will have to REPLY to this every day for people to read it. Most of this is already in the main link, people don't want to read on their own...

imported_Redpizzi is offline -Hacks Newbie

Sorry if this has been asked before - but

Once the Xbox is Modded - and Microsoft have sniffed you out and banned the console - does the console still act as a Silver Account or does the console just act as a console with no internet access at all?

Sorry again

imported_dragon-x is offline -Hacks Enthusiast

with no internet at all

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast